I have a movie theater in my backyard!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacFan782040, Jun 2, 2005.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

So I was sitting in class, and I got this AWESOME idea. What if I borrowed my friend's 10x7 rear-projected screen and NEC projector and set it up outside in my backyard? Then invite some people over, put in a horror movie when it gets dark enough, set up some blankets, chairs, and have a campfire for roasting marshmallows......and you have one cool party!

So I set it all up yesterday jsut to test it out (friday is the party) and it looks SO cool. I had the neighbors coming over to be like "what IS that"? They were impressed.

I'll post some pics after friday... The only problem is they are calling for showers... 50%... but I think the screen can get wet.. it's just like a tarp and I'll cover the projector and iBook wit something. I should charge admission. haha

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That sounds like a lot of fun. May borrow that Idea in the future. When I first got stationed on Guam, I was a newlywed. The new wifey and I were dead broke and would go to the free movie on base. It was a small, outdoor theater and was a blast, especially when it would rain. The screen was not under the shelter roof, but the seats were.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I was in college in Pittsburgh they had free movies on Flagstaff Hill. They usually had a local band playing first and then the movie. It was either saturday or sunday nights. Great fun.

Something cool about watching movies outside. I usually go to the drive in here in town every other week or so.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

a friend of mine did that every summer-sunday night. he even set up a surround sound system out there and got a huge white sheet to project it on.

hope yours turns out well, i'm sure it will

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Just keep the volume down, it would suck if your neighbors called the PoPo on you and your party had to end with a bunch of guys in uniforms saying you were disturbing the peace;)

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just quickly fast forward through that annoying FBI warning about private in-home use, fines for public display, blah blah blah...

:p ;)

Actually sounds like a lot of fun. Set up lawn chairs, etc. But what are you going to do about the audio? You could go to Target and get a "mini gazebo" to house the equipment in case of rain, especially if you plan to do this often:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...343665-0504910?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0002HRLQ2

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

We have a drive-in theater about 1/2 mile away from our house and we love it. The FM stations that the theater plays the movie audio through is a strong enough signal that I can listen to the movies from my house or my car radio! 6 movies per night. 3 screens.

Your own backyard private theater sounds fantastic. Please post picures.

9. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Yeah, but don't invite any of your neighbors who work for Disney Legal!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've done this before and actually I've seen some old neighbors project the World Series on another neighbors house (all walls, no windows on this one side) and they had a 40' screen :D

It very cool and you'll have to post some pics if you get it to work.

D

11. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

It is so cool to see drive in theaters making a comeback.. At one point in time they were almost extinct.. I have been fortunate to grow up in close proximity to a drive in and those are some of the greatest memories of my teen years.. If you have never had the chance to go to a drive in you really need to give it a shot. To find a drive in close to you(Hopefully) go to
    http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm
    It has a listing by state. If you do not have one close to you plan your next vacation around one.. It is well worth it

12. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Yup It's gonna be a blast. I don't have to worry about my neighbors because they said they were gonan be out of town this weekend :D

And I was thinking of ways to keep the projector dry.. My lame ideas consisted of a beach umbrella or somehow construct a tent overtop it.

I'm borrowing some Tiki torches from my friend tomorrow and so I gotta run to BigLots soon to get citronella oil...and some other fun stuff I find to keep us entertained.

And wow I didn't even think of the World Series outside that's such a good idea... The biggest TV we have in our house is a 27"... so I've never really seen the WS on a big screen... man that would be hot. I would just run cable out from my window. SWEEEET!

Oh and for audio all I'm doing is I have these speakers that I'm hooking up to the iBook for output... They are decent and they get pretty loud too.

Yeah I'll def post pics.....I'm already excited lol

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like a really cool idea. Sort of bringing back the drive-in movie tradition on a smaller scale. Should be a lot of fun with family and friends.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Doing that would be illegal. You'll need to obtain permission to hold a public showing of any copyrighted movie, even if it's in your own backyard.

15. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

And who are you, hmm? FBI Agent #58869 codename Partypooper? :rolleyes:

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hehe. That's funny. I wear my bowtie to parties.

17. nw43 macrumors regular

Only as illegal as having some friends round your house to watch a movie (which essentially is all (s)he's going to be doing).

Anyway, I think it's a cool idea - good luck and hope it doesn't rain for you !

What film are you planning on watching?

18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

freaking awesome idea... jsut don't put any "adult" videos on there. Thats when things go downhill.... :rolleyes:

19. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

lol Exactly... That guy has gone crazy.

I was thinking The Excorcist (1970's version)... OR The Shining... Any suggestions on REALLY scarry movies?

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think the illegal issue is if you charge admission....

I've actually thought of doing this on the hill in my back yard as well - I just don't have access to a projector. I have been thinking of buying one though....

D

21. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal whether you charge admission or not. I'll have to re-read my FBI warning on my videos. ;) As long as you DON'T charge admission, though, I sincerely doubt anyone's gonna care.

I remember going on a cross-county road trip with my dad about 10 years ago, we stopped at a KOA campsite somewhere in the midwest. I'll never forget they showed a Marx Brothers film out in this little outdoor theater comprised of maybe 10 hard wood benches and a screen made of whitewashed plywood. There was just something about the atmosphere, I really enjoyed it!

The only time I've been to a drive-in I was too young to understand or appreciate it. :(

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When I was in Greece many summers ago, I remember that the small town we were staying in had an outdoor theater - and it wasn't a drive in. It was great, but I don't remember the movie they played....oh, and having alcohol served makes things even better :D

D

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We tried projecting that exact movie onto the hill behind our house. The movie was scary enough, but the foreshortening made it even weirder. Rent either the original or the newer version with extra scenes reinserted, just to see how it differs. Just don't rent any of the sequels.

24. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Which one is better (scarrier)? New or old?

25. twgibson macrumors newbie

suggestions

The Shining - Kubrick's version, not the other one, is a good choice.

Here are some other fun and scary movies:
    Evil Dead II (D:Sam Raimi)
    ReAnimator (D:Stuart Gordon)
    The Thing (D:John Carpenter)
    Demons (D: Dario Argento)
    House On Haunted Hill (D:William Malone)
    The Sixth Sense (D:M. Night Shymalan)
    Scream (D: Craven)