I have a pismo coming in the mail, need some help please =)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr. Joe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Mr. Joe macrumors newbie

So a friend advised me to buy a g3 pismo, he said it was very upgradeable and cheap (he was right, got the thing on ebay for 150.00). So I was just wondering how upgradeable it is? I heard I can put in up to 1g of ram and a 120 hardrive, but what about the processor? I also heard I can upgrade that to a g4, is this true? So, after I upgrade the computer as best I can (I plan on putting in the best available cpu) will it run at a fairly good speed? I dont need a super-fast machine, I just wanted this to familiarize myself with macs (yes, first mac :))

also, I was wondering if osx tiger would run correctly (although probably very slowly) on its current specs, 400mhz processor, 320 mb ram, 10 gig hardrive. I say this because It will take me some months to finish upgrading it (I have little money right now)

I plan on upgrading in order of cost (HD, ram, cpu) but if you think there is a better order to do that in let me know

besides those other questions above what do you think of pismos in general? good machine?

Thanx alot guys :D

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Good machine... I don't know about the CPU but it is upgradeable for sure! Congrats on your first Mac!!! I get mine in March! :-D

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

cpu upgradable as well

4. Mr. Joe thread starter macrumors newbie

5. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I would probably upgrade the RAM before the hard drive, because OS X works really, really well even on older machines if you give it more RAM. I know this from personal experience with an iMac of about the same speed.

6. Mr. Joe thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx, So how much ram you think I should add? I was thinking of a gig, and what kind? theres like ddr and sdram and some other acronyms i think XD

ya so, what type of ram and amount? lol I hope I didn't sound like too much of an idiot here (i'm just starting to learn technical things a little, this computer is actually to learn about hardware and stuff)