i have a powerbook g4 i"m the only user and when i

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jojobarkho, Feb 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

hi guys

when i try to open the desktop in finder, it prompts me saying i have insufficient privileges. i find this odd as i'm the only user.

can anybody help, thanks

2. Guest

spinnerlys

You mean opening your Desktop folder like this?
    [​IMG]

Can you right click on the Desktop folder and select Get Info and look at the Sharing & Permissions tab and see what is set there?
    [​IMG]

Did you try repairing permissions via Disk Utility?

[​IMG]

3. macrumors member

try repairing permissions via Disk Utility, if it not well, please resintaller system. must.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help guys....its was to do with the permission. all working now.

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First order of business is when you're running into permissions problem is try to repair them.

Glad that you're machine back to normal now. :D

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

im reasonly new to mac - though i much prefer them to PC - i've got this powerbook g4 off a friend which has saved a lot of cash.

I need to start upgrading this bad boy...its 1.3ghz, 512mb ram (poor i know!!!), running on os x 10.2.8, could some1 please advise me on the best operating system i could upgrade it to? is it worth me upgrading the ram?

many thanks

Happy Macing

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It depends on your definition of worth. I would probably seriously consider the cost/benefit of buying RAM and a new OS version vs. selling it and getting a used Macbook with an Intel processor.

OTOH, it supports both Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5), even if you don't upgrade the memory. Depending on what your performance expectations are, you might be happy with either one on 512MB. They'll both run quite a lot better with more memory.

8. Guest

spinnerlys

You can upgrade up to 2GB, and according to most users Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will run fine, but my experience tells me Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is the better fit.
    But Leopard has quite good features like Quick Look and Spaces, so that might be a deciding factor.

And don't let 10.2.8 fool you. Mac OS X 10.3/4/5 are quite huge leaps compared to 10.2.8.