I have a problem... an addiction you could say

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chrispy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hey all. I have decided I officially have a problem. I am completely addicted to macs. How do I know this? Well, I have gone through powermac after powermac that didn’t work and I was hassled the entire time by Apple. This should have been enough to chase me away. Then, Apple releases the updated iBook and the update is very minor. Again, should have chased me away. And while I use a Dell Dimension 9100 as my desktop (it is a great machine and I love it) I cannot shake the urge for an apple portable.

I have had an iBook and Powerbook in the past but got rid of them because my job keeps wanting me to use windows programs. I am now looking for a portable computer once more and while I know a windows machine would be the logical choice for my job, I can’t stop wanting a mac!

So here is my dilemma. I have an extra 1905FP Dell UltraSharp monitor that came with my 9100. I don’t really have a use for it since I have the 2005FPW hooked up to it and I am currently trying to sell it. But then something in me keeps saying I should keep it and hook it up to an apple portable for when I’m at my desk haha. Sooooo… with the new iBooks out they seem to be the best choice given the GPU is a more advanced chip (granted with less memory) than the GeForce in the 12” powerbook. I know I can use the spanning hack and I probably should but I worry that it either won’t be compatible with the new GPU or it will be to slow… ahhhhh.

But here is where it gets much worse. I them think well maybe I should just get a 15” powerbook and sell the monitor.. yeah yeah that is it… and then I can up the graphics mem to 128MB and add a Superdrive… but then I would have no use for my Dell haha! Oh I am in too deep. So I ask you all to give me your personal opinions for me to chew on as I decide. I think I should go iBook but I am looking for reassurance or argument to my decision. Thanks!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think you should go w/ my PB. :D As for your addiction, it's ok, you are in a friendly, supportive environment. Woops, too bad this environment won't help get you outta your habit! :p

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

she's quite right - this is NOT the place to be if you want to kick your addiction! But why would you want to kick it... :eek: :D

4. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

There are many worse things to addicted to than the mac. I for one have this unhealhy addiction to the ice blended mochas at coffee bean. I just cant stop drinking them.

If you think your addiction is serious, you should consider a support group
    like Macaholics Anonymous.

5. MacHarne macrumors 6502

If you feel comfortable with the Dimension 9100 then why purchase another computer, even though it may be a Mac? Unless you have cash to burn, as some people here do, then I would stick with what you have. Despite running Windows, you have a well performing machine, it sounds.

For me personally, I couldn't live with myself if I was using Windows. I have had horrible times with it in the past and have involuntarily become the extended-family IT director for their blue screens of death. I loathe it. And it makes me hug my PowerBook even harder. But if you don't mind the computing experience you have with the Dell, then I wouldn't specifically go out of the way to get a Mac.

Anyways, that's my opinion. I just hate switching back and forth between operating systems; especially between a solid, beautiful one and a stagnant, inferior one.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf? I'm so bummed, the closest one up here is in 'frisco. My sister works at one in San Diego. Mm, those are yummie drinks! I really wish there was one closer to me. :(

I heartily agree. I can't stand it when I go to my bf's house and forget to bring my PB.

7. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I solved my espresso addiction by the only method I knew of - purchase your own espresso maker. Now, I have instant lattes, cappucinos, and doppios, and the luxurious addition of a guilt-free conscience for not paying $5 for each of them. FYI, I make an irresistible iced mocha, as friends have acclaimed it.

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I like my addiction haha. Its not that I dislike my 9100 and it does work great however I do need a portable computer as well. I just can't decide on what to do.... hmmmmm

9. makeme macrumors member

I'd either get an iBook now or wait for a better Powerbook and get that. But, that's just me. I like to buy macs right after they are released to maximize their lifespans and their value for the dollar, which could use maximizing if you know what I mean.

10. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Yup, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. One just opened near my house last month and I have been going there nearly every day since. My favorite hot drink is the blueberry pomegranate latte. i think Im getting fat just drinking the stuff all the time. What is your favorite coffee bean drink?

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That stuff is really really fattening! Umm, well, I've only been like 3 times in my life... I think the one I thought was tasty was the... Extreme? I duno. :confused: