I have a question...PC experts please help.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iQuit, Sep 13, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am on a Windows XP based AMD Athlon XP eMachine and I am using firefox and installed Service Pack 2. Recently I have noticed about once a day or every few days the PC immediately powers down out of nowhere and restarts...and everytime it has happened I have been on Myspace.com, I don't know if it is a coincidence or it is because of myspace...but what should I do? Once it restarts it says....you system has just recovered from a serious error. I am on myspace sometimes a lot so it may have to be some bug....but should I take all my files off my PC and restart all over? thanks in advance.

(edit) I recently got this and it hasen't always done this...just recently.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll bite.

Use another browser (which one?????) and see if it happens when using another browser. Or use FF for everything, but only use IE for MySpace. If it happens when using IE, then you have a more serious problem, and just move your personal files and reinstall WinXP.

3. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I don't think it's MySpace, because a website can't crash a computer.

From what I could tell, it could be one of the following:

• CPU Overheating
    • Some components inside the computer aren't secured in place
    • New device with a bad driver
    • Powersupply issue
    • Faulty Component

Have you installed any new hardware recently?

4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I'm not sure about any other possible causes, but I must say myspace is the buggiest website I regularly go to.

If I had a nickel for everytime I got a message saying, "We are currently experiencing difficulties, this problem has been forwarded to the myspace support team," I would probably have enough money to buy them a brand new XServe RAID complete with IT team.

Watch out for myspace!

5. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Fair enough.

My new guess is that he (based off of my experience with myspace) may tend to spend more time there than at other websites thus increasing the probability that it has coincidentally only crashed when he was visiting myspace.

6. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I installed a new 8 or 9 mm case fan....that is about it.

7. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

and to be more specific...the case fan has LEDS. and isn't just connected to a power cable. I have no idea what it is....just when you combine settings,programs,pictures,customization,etc. you hate re-installing an OS. Geeze I hope they make that new last REV G4 PB...

8. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Also I noticed it only happens when I am browsing through my friends....but that too could be coincidence.

(edit) I have no idea what could be triggering this...possibly the buggy Windoze OS, but I am buying a new better Power Supply Soon so if that is the problem then it will be solved...the thing is I leave it on while I'm at school and after school I get on it...then a few hours later or just randomly like at night BAM! it friggen restarts...it doesn't happen everyday...but this is about the 6th time it has done it. I just hate it.

9. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Alright, try securing all the computer's internal components in place (RAM, Graphics Card, Other PCI Cards) by pressing the components in their slots. If you still experience issues, try disconnecting the case fan and see what happens. You could also try cleaning the dust (if there's too much dust on the innards) Use those compressed air cans. DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner, since it might cause static electricity.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Do any of the pages have any strange Flash animation, or Java scripts running? Sometimes you can hit spaces in memory that only one type of image / animation / video or process can hit and trigger a system crash. Emachines is known to use cheap components (sorry) and I am not at all suprised when I hear of people having issues with their hardware (especially memory).

Try taking out one or two of your DIMMS (Memory sticks) and see if this issue repeats.

And yes a website CAN crash a computer, back in my regular system admin days, there were a few types of java scripts that would take down a few of the WIN 2000 systems we had on our network. Not sure why, they just did.

And for those that don't know, there is a website / GIF image that can instantly crash Safari on Mac OS X systems. Thankfully I do not believe it will crash your computer, but it is still a known and valid issue.

HTH

11. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I don't care...I got this Machine for $210

It has a 2.2 GHz AMD, 40 GB HD, 2 CD burners, Windows XP, a 17" Flat Panel, and I got New CRUCIAL RAM for it for cheap on eBay.

It was bearly used from a close friend. No noticable dust on the inside.

I just needed something in the meantime because my iBook has too small of a screen and I need a PowerBook.

12. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am not going to go on MySpace for 3 days and will see what happens...I will try all that that yall told me but I am off to bed...peace.thanks