Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
That error usually comes from a blacklisted IP, which wouldn't explain why your Firefox works fine.

Are you on a shared internet connection? Are there PCs also on the same network? :eek:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
applecrag said:
screenshot
Sometimes a little logic is in order. Google is not antiviral software. It is the most popular Internet search engine in the world. Do you have a clue how much time would be wasted if Google did a virus scan every time a computer accessed it? Hint: It wouldn't be the most popular Internet search engine in the world.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
PPPoE, PPPoE who need PPPoE, are the unluckiest PPPoE in the world. No chance you're actually seeing the warning relate to other susceptible boxes on the LAN, point to point?
X

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Is your internet cable based, if it is, it may be that one of your neighbors may be infected, and that cable sub-network has been black-listed. I've seen the multiple-houses blocking before.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
applecrag said:
actually all i searched for was "apple." must be a google bug though. thanks for the help guys...yall are great! :)

wtf?

is anyone else troubled by this?

He comes in here, tells us his safari isnt working and has a virus (according to google), panicks and tells us he cant see avatars (im guessing he is referencing to this board), and someone tells him its google's problem. Suddenly we helped him and he doesnt seem to have problems...

uhh... Im not too sure if your problem is even fixed yet.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Reset Safari. Repair Permissions.

Run this: Linkety

1st version works better than the 2nd ironically. And I've been too lazy to do work on it. :p

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
Well, I got the same message as applecrag, but not on my mac. It was last night on my XP laptop. Exact same message from google though, when I ran a search for a website. It only happened that once, and everything works now, so I think kingjr3 is right about the blacklist thing.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
G5Unit said:
:eek:Virus!:eek:cb08476B08wyrbv047G0v0bv0487GBV:eek:Virus!:eek:
:eek:Virus!:eek:cb08476B08wyrbv047G0v0bv0487GBV:eek:Virus!:eek:

Since when do macs get viruses? You might be mistaken old chap.

(And other similar quotes).

Fiiiiuuuu, I'm actually glad none of us works for a top-crisis job, like the firemen or traffic air control or the world health organization or governments or anything alike...
"- Oh my God, my building is on fire !
- No it can't be, there's a fire-preventing system in it, you couldn't light a match,
- but... I'm trapped inside, and I see flames and I smell smoke and my shoes are burning and my colleagues are all dead !
- ahah, sorry old chap, you might be mistaken."
(Rephrase the same story with a plane going down or the asiatic bird flu or the global warming).

Whenever someone mentions a virus on OsX, there is always someone to come up with the "there's no virus on OsX". Isn't that the wrong way to approach the problem ???

There have been no harmful viruses on OsX so far, but it's mostly because there hasn't been the will to work enough on that, all virus-makers are busy with the PC-world (more money for anti-virus software companies and/or more people to annoy). OsX is only a computer system, even if Unix based ! And if Apple has set up a strong Firewall option in the OsX, isn't it because they know viruses can happen, and they should lock the doors ? And when someone doesn't have the Firewall on, or uses specific network settings to improve communication despite security, what is left, a Holy Blessing Wall ?

The Titanic cannot sink. The Zeppelin cannot fall. The atom is the smallest particle. Time is not elastic...
Does it all ring a bell ? Human assumptions.

I always think science and (industrial) progress are improved by people who doubt everyday about what they know, and certainly not by people who sit on their "knowledge" or acquired assumptions.

Shouldn't we look at similar problems from another point of view ?

A.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
applecrag said:
hey everyone. i really hope some of yall can help me out. today i noticed on safari if i try and do a google search i get an error saying "i have spyware or a virus and the search cannot be completed." safari cant even bring up most pictures. i cant even see anyones avatars! i think i know the problem. i had my internet set up to use PPPoE instead of DHCP. i did this because i had problems hosting on warcraft with DHCP...the routers at the internet provider blocked my ports. so the PPPoE opened them up. but now anything can get into my computer! ive never had this problem after many years of using macs. i tried downloading ClamXav from macupdate as a free virus scanner. i checked safari but there were no viruses. i restarted...nothing changed. could this be a security flaw in tiger? i hope not. can someone please help me? i hate knowing something is wrong with my G5...thank you all.

I got that as well! But I just assumed that google had made a mistake

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
On topic note: If your comptuer is hooked directly to your modem, which I'm reading it is, I'm not sure I see what the difference between DHCP and PPPoE is going to be from your point of view--at least on the DSL modems I've set up, DHCP gives you an IP address just as externally visible as the ones PPPoE does. In any case, though, if it's only Safari giving you trouble that's where your problem is and it's not likely malicious (I'd concurr that the Google error is just due to someone else on your node, except that wouldn't explain why it's only in Safari nor why you'd be having trouble loading images).

Arnaud said:
I always think science and (industrial) progress are improved by people who doubt everyday about what they know, and certainly not by people who sit on their "knowledge" or acquired assumptions.

Shouldn't we look at similar problems from another point of view ?
While I agree with your point of view, I don't think it applies very strongly to this situation.

It's like this: There are many technically adept people who use Macs. Were a Mac virus to be created, which is entirely possible, it would probably be noticed by one or more of these people VERY quickly, and, being that they tend to do more on the internet than the average user, they're also probably more likely to run across it. Furthermore, when the first OSX virus eventually gets into the wild, it will be MAJOR news on every single Mac tech site.

Therefore, I would argue that in all probability when a Mac virus eventually does make it into the wild, you'll be reading about it on the front page of MacFixIt, MacInTouch, MacMinute, MacNN, MacBytes, and probably even MacRumors within the day. I don't look forward to that day, but I'm relatively confident I'll notice it when it comes.

Back on topic, even if the original poster's issue were caused by something malicious (which the fact that it's Google telling him he's got a problem and that the issue is limited to Safari almost completely rules out), his post makes it quite clear it's not a virus--if it were anything, he'd have been hacked and rootkitted or otherwise zombified via a security hole in his net connection, which although unlikely is a different issue entirely and limited to that single computer.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 111

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
Applecrag, I declare you the worst troll ever! I mean, seriously, your trolling skills are limited by your cheerful nature and your lack of trying to bait people into a flame war and your inability to redirect the blame at Apple when everybody concludes that it is some sort of Google error. I banish you from the Order of Trolls from which you can never return. You must live your humble existence from now on as an "average" user. I hope you're happy now.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Makosuke said:
It's like this: There are many technically adept people who use Macs. Were a Mac virus to be created, which is entirely possible, it would probably be noticed by one or more of these people VERY quickly, and, being that they tend to do more on the internet than the average user, they're also probably more likely to run across it. Furthermore, when the first OSX virus eventually gets into the wild, it will be MAJOR news on every single Mac tech site.

Therefore, I would argue that in all probability when a Mac virus eventually does make it into the wild, you'll be reading about it on the front page of MacFixIt, MacInTouch, MacMinute, MacNN, MacBytes, and probably even MacRumors within the day. I don't look forward to that day, but I'm relatively confident I'll notice it when it comes.

Mmm, that still sounds like an awful lot of wishful thinking to me... If a Major virus were created, half of us users wouldn't be able to reach the Net in time to read about it, as our machines might be turned into electronic pumpkins (with as much use).

And your theory could have been applied to the most recent viruses of the PC-world too, with a really huge community of advanced users and the net to connect them all, but they still cannot fight the viruses off on a daily basis ?

Anyway, on the current thread, I think it's a bad-node day for Google, it'll have another behaviour in 1 minute / hour / day. I'd clean the cache as a first thing, and refresh to a fully new page. I agree Google is not so much of a virus detector, it can just say when a behaviour is weird from outside.

But Photoshopping the page for a thread, uh... :eek:

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Arnaud said:
Mmm, that still sounds like an awful lot of wishful thinking to me... If a Major virus were created, half of us users wouldn't be able to reach the Net in time to read about it, as our machines might be turned into electronic pumpkins (with as much use).

And your theory could have been applied to the most recent viruses of the PC-world too, with a really huge community of advanced users and the net to connect them all, but they still cannot fight the viruses off on a daily basis ?

Anyway, on the current thread, I think it's a bad-node day for Google, it'll have another behaviour in 1 minute / hour / day. I'd clean the cache as a first thing, and refresh to a fully new page. I agree Google is not so much of a virus detector, it can just say when a behaviour is weird from outside.

yes they can, the problem is that the majority of the community arent advanced users, these are the people with virus problems

applecrag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Maedus said:
Applecrag, I declare you the worst troll ever! I mean, seriously, your trolling skills are limited by your cheerful nature and your lack of trying to bait people into a flame war and your inability to redirect the blame at Apple when everybody concludes that it is some sort of Google error. I banish you from the Order of Trolls from which you can never return. You must live your humble existence from now on as an "average" user. I hope you're happy now.

i promise you im not a troll. i would never do anything like that to annoy anyone. listen...just ignore this thread if you dont like it. im sorry for posting anything i thought needed to be posted. but it was really shocking to see that. and after seeing how safari acted up (which it still is) i had to believe it. im sorry for everyones waste of time. i am not a troll though...i wouldnt do that to you great people....anyways thanks for the help.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For the love of pancakes people..

The OP is not trolling. This is an actual message that Google splats, as I've seen it. It's completely misguided on Googles part because the URL is totally malformed, therefore they automagically assume "it's a virus".

When someone who doesn't know jack about Macs sees "it's a virus", what do you want them to assume? HOLY CRAP! IT'S A VIRUS!

They come here, declare they're infected, we shout them down, end of story.

The OP doesn't have a virus. There are still no viruses for Mac OS X (and there's no freaking need to REDEBATE the 'will there be viruses for Mac and when', it's been done to death, thanks). The OP wasn't trolling.

End communication.

Mr.Hostility

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Jesus god...it's not a virus. :rolleyes: Someone on your IP grouping may actually have a virus or is sending a rediculous amount of requests to google's servers simultaniously, and that's Google's 'flood' protection.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Arnaud said:

Except for the fact that, if you assume a Mac virus is a hoax/misunderstanding, you'll be right. The reason we can all assume this is because it simply hasn't gone any other way, ever. If, just once, someone actually had a virus when they came in panicking like this, then you could then point this finger.

So it's like your fireman's scenario, only, the person really is mistaken, the firefighters know it, should they still hose down the building?

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Not a virus IMO, but you have install a third party appz that send info, Limewire (aka Lamewire) or any software like that on your computer?

You may want to use LittleSnitch and start some appz to see there request on the web. Maybe it's a spyware installed with an another soft.
http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

For an antivirus choose (not so many, useless IMO, but who know)
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=virus&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.