iPad I have an iPad 3, which I love....but that mini is tempting.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Jan 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2011
    I game a lot on the ipad, or at least I try to.

The iPhone is just too small for gaming and the ipad is just a tad bit too big, first person shooters are incredibly awkward.

For those of you who have a mini, what do the games feel like? Are the shooters much better?

I would pick up the newer mini I guess, which I heard will come around march.
  2. macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2011
    Playing games feels very natural on the mini...I notice I'm buying more games because it feels great to play them...my full size iPad felt like I was holding a dinner plate in my hands playing games...
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Wrote this on my mini, it is the best iPad ever.
  5. macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2009
    The mini eclipses the full sized iPad in my opinion, especially for gaming.
  6. macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2012
    buy it,try it, and if you don't like it return it. that's what I did...unless the ipad makes your arms feel like they are gonna fall off:rolleyes:, you will hate the display after using the 3....that was my personal experience anyhow...I surf the web a lot though and in my opinion that is where the mini display shows its shortcoming the worst....
  7. macrumors 68040

May 15, 2007
    That depends on the person. I own an iPad 2/3 and currently typing this on my 3. The text is crystal clear without zooming in. Frankly I use my 2 more because my eyes are such that when using my iPad 2 the fuzzy text actually makes the text look bolder. So it depends on each individual. I had a chance to briefly play with a mini at Best Buy and honestly the text looks slightly sharper than my iPad 2.

I would have bought a mini if it were not for the A5, so I'm holding out for the refresh.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    I just couldn't get over how ****** the iPad mini's screen looks in direct comparison to the iPad retina display.

I will hold off until a retina mini comes out.

9. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    Same here. But i will instead hold on untill iPad 5 comes.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2010
    Ipad 2 is not the same as the ipad mini. Just because they're both non-retina does not mean the text will look the same. The ipad 2 is bigger and is able to get away with non-retina. I have both the ipad 3 and mini and while the mini was great for a couple of weeks because of the size, I'm back on my ipad 3. Ipad mini with retina will be the winning combination but do not make the mistake of using the 2 as a replacement to the mini when comparing retina vs non retina. Just not the same...
  11. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    I am holding out for the iPad7. Imagine how good that will be!
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2012
    /home @
    iPad 2 and iPad mini have the same CPU, RAM, storage capacity and display resolution.

The only differences which I know of, are the weight and physical dimensions, in addition to marginally higher pixel density (ppi). That said, all of these differences are in favor of the iPad mini.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2012
  14. macrumors 601

Oct 3, 2006
  15. macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2012
    I have one at work, and yes it was fun for a few days but I think if bought one I'd regret it after the initial excitement (I too have an iPad 3).
  16. macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2012
    Which is why OP should buy it and try it. If he regrets the purchase, he can return it no problem.
  17. macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2012
    I had a iPad 3 and i got the mini when it came out. i use the mini now more then my 3, it is just so light and small that i can use it almost everywhere.(i can even fit it in my pockets)
  18. macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2012
    I couldn't fit the mini in the pockets of anything I wear and to be honest, I thought it was just as big of a pain to tote on the go as the full size. I use my iPhone for my portable and hate to say it but I can read text on it easier than the text on the much larger screen of the mini...
  19. macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2012
    I have had all 4 generations of the iPad and am currently using the iPad 4, primarily for web browsing and e-mail. I had no problem using the iPad 1 and 2 but after using the retina screen I wouldn't want to go back to the lower resolution. The mini has a great form factor and I would love to have that size for portability, but between the smaller screen size and the poorer resolution, I just find it too uncomfortable (not painful) to use. It's a great little iPad but it will never replace my iPad 4 with its beautiful retina screen.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2010
    iPad 2 has a bigger screen which expands the size of texts and makes it forgiving as a non-retina.
  21. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    Of course, because you're comparing it directly to the iPad 4. What average person uses them at the same time / next to each other? What average person even has / would have both to do that?
  22. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2013
    Just out of interest, how many people would buy the mini over the 4 if it had a retina display?
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2012
    /home @
    I know I would. Any day.
  24. macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2006
    Personally, gaming is one of the best things about the mini. I used to play games on my gen 1 iPad a lot, despite owning a PS3, but with my mini I play and enjoy them even more, because for me and the games I play, I can either hold it in one hand and click around easier, or use both hands to hold and click on the device - it's a personal thing perhaps, because I would never say my iPad full sized was not fun, it was lots of fun, I just prefer the size of the mini over the full sized iPad.

And Joe Danger right now is the game I can't stop playing, if I had a full sized iPad I'd be saying that too - if you haven't played it, give it a go, it's a lot of fun (and I own the PS3 version too, but this one is more fun).
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 4, 2009
    I admit I have not had a retina device bigger than an iPhone yet. I do think it would make the mini better, but I positively love the mini. It feels better than any iOS device I've owned especially for typing. I'm posting this from it which I would never do from my iphones or iPad 1.