Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
As you guys will know, Apple music did not include full iTunes match functionality at launch, hence why I kept my iTunes match subscription as well as paying for apple music. I am led to believe that apple music has been upgraded to include full iTunes match functionality. I just got an email from Apple telling me my iTunes match subscription is due for renewal. Can i just cancel this and have nothing change?

lusid1

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Maybe, maybe not.

When I had the standalone iTunes match, my matched songs were available on all my AppleTV devices. Now I have apple music's iTunes match, and the only fragments of my iCloud music library they can access are past itunes purchases. They are behaving like they do when you don't have iTunes match.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
As you guys will know, Apple music did not include full iTunes match functionality at launch, hence why I kept my iTunes match subscription as well as paying for apple music. I am led to believe that apple music has been upgraded to include full iTunes match functionality. I just got an email from Apple telling me my iTunes match subscription is due for renewal. Can i just cancel this and have nothing change?

I believe the difference is with iTunes Match if the song isn't in the Apple Music Library they will still upload it to the cloud for you to be able to listen to anywhere... however with JUST Apple Music, if it's not in their Apple Music catalog then it's a no go, only iTunes Match can do that. Also, with iTunes Match anything matched does NOT have any DRM however if you use Apple Music matching everything will still have DRM. I've heard or seen nothing anywhere that any of this has changed. If I'm wrong please let me know because my iTunes Match subscription is also coming due soon.

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you ever cancel Apple Music, you can't listen to anything. If you cancel iTunes Match, you still have your purchased music.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
If you ever cancel Apple Music, you can't listen to anything. If you cancel iTunes Match, you still have your purchased music.

I don't understand. If I cancel Apple Music as well I still will get to keep any music I purchased. The question isn't about music I have purchased, it's about whether Apple Music uploads tracks you add to iTunes that's not in the Apple Music catalog. Without iTunes Match as well, I don't believe that will happen.

Reactions: Brookzy

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I believe the difference is with iTunes Match if the song isn't in the Apple Music Library they will still upload it to the cloud for you to be able to listen to anywhere... however with JUST Apple Music, if it's not in their Apple Music catalog then it's a no go, only iTunes Match can do that. Also, with iTunes Match anything matched does NOT have any DRM however if you use Apple Music matching everything will still have DRM. I've heard or seen nothing anywhere that any of this has changed. If I'm wrong please let me know because my iTunes Match subscription is also coming due soon.

You can upload files that Apple doesn't know about with Apple Music and it becomes available to any of your devices (I've done it with several CDs) - in that respect it's exactly the same as iTunes Match.
I've also just tried downloading a song shown as matched on iTunes and it downloaded without DRM so it looks like you do indeed get full iTunes Match functionality with a music subscription

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I just had a chat with Apple Support. The difference is if you unsub from Apple Music, your music is gone, EVEN the non DRM music. However with iTunes Match, you get to keep everything.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
After some further digging on the Apple website, it does appear Apple Music includes iTunes Match so both are no longer needed. I found this on the FAQ page of Apple Music. Apple REALLY needs to update other parts of their site AND their support staff.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
AppleMusicFAQ.pdf
I don't understand. If I cancel Apple Music as well I still will get to keep any music I purchased. The question isn't about music I have purchased, it's about whether Apple Music uploads tracks you add to iTunes that's not in the Apple Music catalog. Without iTunes Match as well, I don't believe that will happen.
I agree, despite my earlier poor answer!
[doublepost=1482496789][/doublepost]
After some further digging on the Apple website, it does appear Apple Music includes iTunes Match so both are no longer needed. I found this on the FAQ page of Apple Music. Apple REALLY needs to update other parts of their site AND their support staff.
A link would be helpful here, since you found something definitive.

http://www.apple.com/apple-music/membership/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jstuts5797
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.