I have converted my sister to a powermac!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macstudent, Apr 7, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

A few weeks ago I started a thread where I discussed how I wanted to convince my sister to get the new iMac instead of a dell. Everyone was a lot of help, and now I am proud to say that she is going to get a mac. She isn't buying an imac though, she is getting a tower and the 15 lcd.

I convinced her to go to compusa (we don't have any apple stores is wisconsin) to look at the imac with her boyfriend. The salesman convinced them that they should be purchasing a tower instead.

The reason I never tried to have her buy a tower was because of the cost issue associated with a tower and an LCD screen. But she said that it was so cool that she wanted one anyway.

I am having her buy the 733 mhz with the 15inch screen through the apple store via her teacher discount. That way she will only pay $1777 for the whole unit.

I do have one question for this forum though. Do you know of any online stores like macmall or something that has any better deals on combos when you purchase a moniter and cpu. She wants to get a free printer or Ram. I am pretty sure her best bet is through the apple store since you get free shipping, the teacher discount, and the $50 instant rebate. But I would like to explore all of her options before her purchase.

Thanks in advance.

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey!

Go to SmallDog.com
    They have really good deals, and refurbished items for very cheap!

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Even better!

Take the 733MHz G4 from the edu. store. Instead of a 15in Apple Display, get the mitsubishi 17in Diamond Plus. Then, you can upgrade to a 60GB HD, and a Combo Drive for only 1579. You will save yourself 200 bucks!

If she really wants an LCD, go to small dog. Check out their refurbished Apple 15in LCD, i think it is around 440 dollars.

4. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

She really wants the apple LCD though. With the $100 off and the educational discount a new LCD is $475.

The apple store has free shipping too!

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Great!!

I'm glad she was finally convinced. I'm sure with a tower she'll be happy. Plus, she'll have you to help her with any problems and to make sure her computing experience is bump free.

Congrats to your sister!

Matthew

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Did you check out Small Dog's prices? They had a setup exactly like the one you said with the 15in LCD and the G4 but it had another 256RAM chip, and a 3yr Apple Warranty for 1999!

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Sales Tax

isnt there a discount for buying an lcd at the same time as a tower?

But dont forget sales tax. My tax rate is 1.066%, so on a 1777 order that is 117 bucks. You pay sales tax with apple, but not with most online vendors like macmall. So be careful, it may not be the deal you thought is was. You just gotta shop around. I have been waiting for weeks to find the best tibook deal (and wait for new hardware at tokyo).

But congrats on your sister, I hope it works out for them

8. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I checked that out, but and I plan on mentioning it to her. Do you know how much they charge for shipping?

Also, I don't know if she wants to spend the extra money on applecare.

Apple store:
    128mb ram
    80Gig HD
    7500 Rage video
    15 LCD
    free shipping
    extra $100 for 512mb RAM (online store)
    ----------------
    $1900 after everything

Small Dog:
    128 +free 256 RAM
    40 gig HD
    geforce MX
    15 LCD
    applecare
    shipping ????
    ----------------
    $2000 +possible shipping

9. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

sales tax

Does everystate have sales tax with apple?

Wisconsin doesn't have a store in the state, therefore we might not have to pay it. I don't know for sure though. The price I quoted is including the $100 with the "big deals" promotion.

<RANT>
    Speaking of the "new promotion" I think it sucks that they lowered the amount you save on the 17" LCD. With the last deal you saved $300, now it is only $200.
    </RANT>

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Never by apple ram .

go to www.mohawkmem.com and get their ram. 171 for 512mb that your sister can add to the regular ram. And.... yes you will pay sales tax from apple, but no shipping. And I didnt see where you get any discount on the 15 inch monitor.

11. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

coast to coast memory has 512mb of PC133 for $99 +5.50 shipping. Not to shabby

That is what I was referring too

12. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

The deal with the LCD moniters is called "big deal." If you price a computer and add the moniter, the difference is calculated before checkout.

$100 off with the 15"
    $200 off with the 17"
    $300 off with the 22"

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, than, look at their refurbished computers. You can get a 733 or an 800 for pretty cheap!

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

congrats on your conversion job!

that is one more person toward that five percent market share we used to enjoy and will enjoy again

15. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

u dont pay shipping with apple if u get is shipped by ground. it takes a little longer but you dont have to pay. u can choose to pay if you want it sooner.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: I have converted my sister to a powermac!!!

Don't worry about the RAM, buy it separately through someone like http://www.buymemory.com its so much cheaper. If you can try and get 512 megs on the machine.