I have decided....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snackcakeofd00m, May 18, 2005.

1. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

Ok i have thought through this for a while and i have decided, i am purchasing a fully specced out mac minior a fully specced out ibook, then a dell 2500fpw monitor, then lastly, i am building a new gaming rig. i know how much you guys hate windows but it will not be like that. This rig will be strictly gaming, when i am not gaming i will either be loaded into linux b/c it will be dual boot or i will be on my mac mini or iBook. so my question is the diff. in perf. between the ibook and mac mini that big or is it minimal

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Minimal, buy the mini and save your money. Better yet, buy the mini and load it with 1gb or RAM.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Do you need the portability? Even a little bit? If so, get the iBook. If not, get the mini. No need to pay for portability if you don't need it.

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

If you're buying that big monitor, go for the mini, max out the RAM and get that monitor for the same price as an iBook...but, as mentioned, if you're gonna want to portate (I made up that word, I think it's great!) your mac, then nothing is better than an iBook or Powerbook....and, you can also still get that killer monitor and use it external when you're based in at home. Best o both worlds! (With a little more money needed)

5. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

errr i dont know i think i am getting the mini cnt afford the ibook

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What's a 2500FPW? Did you mean a 2005FPW?

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

money controls so much , some times u hate it some times u love it, now i hate it becouse im 65 bucks short for a ipod photo!!!

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Regardless of the one you pick ... congrats on your new purchase!

9. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Remember that the iBook will suck on the 2005FPW (and this is coming from an iBook lover). At best, you can use the spanning hack to get it to run the monitor at different resolutions, but the most you will be able to give it in terms of video RAM is 16 MB, unless things have changed. And 16MB for a 2005FPW is not going to be very happy....

11. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It'll be a lot better, because it can devote all of its 32MB of VRAM to that monitor. A number of people here drive the 2005FPW with a Mac Mini and don't have any issues.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is that a question or a statement?