I have EyeTV USB2.0-How to compress video?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Winstonp, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I don't have the space for a 4 GB movie! I hate this raw, uncut, video..

any suggestions on how to compress the file sizes?

Also, please don't suggest that I upgrade to the Firewire model, It's much to expensive for my needs. (unless you want to trade ;) )

2. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

The best thing to do is goto "Device Settings" and choose a Divix or Mpeg4
    format. This will cut down on the 4 Gig per hour file size. If the finished file size is still to big, use "ffmpegx" to compress. These are some free alternatives if you don't have Quicktime Pro.

3. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

that ffmpegx fails to encode... is QT easier?

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

What you want to do is download and install the 3ivx codec from www.3ivx.com. 3ivx is a Divx/MPEG-4 variant which is frequently used for encoding DVDs due to its good quality, good compression ratios and wide compatibility. Once you have it installed, open the movie in QuickTime Player, and go to File --> Export --> Movie to QuickTime Movie. Click the Options button, click the Settings button, and choose 3ivx D4 in the pull-down menu at the top of the window that comes up. You can play with compression settings to suit. You could easily turn a 4GB movie into 600MB, or less if reduced quality is OK.

You may need QuickTime Pro in order for the File --> Export to be available - I'm not sure.

5. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

guys-thanks for you help so far

I did what you told me, and even with the 3ivx, the file fails to open in QT. Any suggestions?

6. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

7. swy32x macrumors regular

Ok, record what you want.

Go to the viewer, click the one you want, then File > Export.

Simple.

8. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I don't know much about EyeTV, although I have a solution.

Import the video into iMovie, add it to the Timeline, and click Share in the iMovie menu. Choose QuickTime, and find the right size for you. The DV Format works best. It compresses but doesn't change the quality too much.

I've done this technique on my LiveType graphics when I don't need to apply graphics to montage and need a smaller version than the actual LiveType file.

9. swy32x macrumors regular

No need to do this. The eyeTV software has this function built in.

Good idea, but seems like El Gato beat you to it :p