I have finally made the switch!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ronni3, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Today, after the keynote, I placed an order for a Mac Pro. The specs are as follows:

2.66GHz Quad
    2GB Ram
    X1900 XT
    Apple Extreme & BT
    250GB HDD

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for it to come. Geez, this is the hardest part!!! :D

2. macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Congratulations. I have the exact same spec. You'll love it.

3. macrumors 68000

Just about to do the same, though I'm probably going to buy a stock config from amazon. This'll be pretty cool since I've got all these HD's sitting around from my just sold PowerMac, I'm going to have 1TB :eek: of storage. That's obscene, really. 3 years ago I only had a 10GB HD!

Shame that OWC ram thing didn't work out.

yt

4. macrumors regular

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I got a great deal too. I joined the Student ADC program and damn isn't it great to get a 20% discount on that Mac Pro. Hell no would I have ever been able to afford the regular price of this setup.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Tomorrow is the big day! It should arrive sometime in the afternoon. Man, I just can't wait. :D

7. macrumors regular

Tangerine

Mine is the same spec but except with only 1GB of RAM. Does having 2GB of RAM make that much of a big different?

8. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Mine has had 1 gb of RAM, and I really want to upgrade now....I run out of RAM all the time. But I can't afford to buy a second gig right now so I will have to wait. I run out of ram all the time...I am not even a "pro" user......:D

9. macrumors regular

Tangerine

Me too. I'm really hope Apple Ram price would drop. It is ways too expensive right now. There is 3rd aftermarket one, but I'm still skeptical. Especially when it comes to Ram. I hope with all the competition aftermarket Ram out there, maybe Apple will drop the price. Doesn't look like it though :( .

10. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

I don't mind buying third party both those prices are still kinda expensive.

11. macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I got only 1 GB RAM too so I could afford the 3.00 GHz configuration. Get memory from these guys! I highly recommend them and I have been a customer of theirs for years. All the RAM I have ever purchased from them still works to this day.

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2649&RequestTimeOut=500

Their RAM is much cheaper than Crucial and just as good. Plus their heatsinks are the best on the market.

12. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

congrats with the purchase! Let us know when you get it!

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got it today, but unfortunately I was called into work and I have classes tonight, so I don't expect to be able to play with this thing until sometime in the late evening. :( But either way, I am happy that it has made it home.

Are there any tests I should perform?

14. macrumors regular

Tangerine

Yes, it come with Mac OS X Install disk. You can use it to startup to perform hardware test. Also, try Techtool Pro if you have it to run a test.

15. macrumors 6502a

Are you running Safari?

Safari has massive memory leak problems and I find you have to quit and restart it every few hours otherwise your machine grinds to a hault.

16. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Yes I do use Safari. I even quit it once in awhile to try help with that problem. But I still run out of RAM.

17. macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

18. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Isnt it strange how no-one is switching the other way :p