I have given up with Windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mach D, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Mach D macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and I was playing with the Dual G5, the iMac and the 15" Powerbook for over an hour. I then come home to do some homework on my Windows XP machine and spend almost 2 hours fixing an error I keep getting preventing me from receiving my email only to find out the "fix" removed the email I needed to begin with.

I'll be taking donations as i'm a starving college student.

2. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I only work on XP when I have to. At work. Switched to Mac 6 months ago. I love it!

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Heh, maybe if you aren't so "fill in insult", you wouldn't be complaining about a simple PC problem. Some people will have problems no matter what system they use.

4. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

Every Mac i've ever used has never had problems. Every PC I have worked on has been nothing but. I bought this thing because it was cheaper. I got what I paid for.

5. kronos2611 macrumors member

I've managed to switch a few friends over to the Mac platform - and they all say the same thing (un-prompted!):

"It just works"

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Heh, maybe if you aren't so "fill in insult", you'd realize that time and again the average consumer switching to Mac has had no where near the same number of problems as they did before.

Go find me a group of people that has switch Mac OS X to Windows XP, and 'loved' their new computing environment and said, 'this is how a computer SHOULD work.'

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know all about PCs. I've used them for years, went to school to learn more about them, and usually can fix things that most others cannot. Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be having these problems in the first place.

Every time I hear the argument that Windows works just as well as a Mac... if you know what you are doing... I think of the irony of that statement and wonder if most people just don't get it. Apple isn't perfect, but Macs are a lot easier to use and I've had far fewer problems on OS 10 than any version of Windows. OS 8 and 9 notwithstanding (though 9, if not loaded full of stuff, can still be pretty good). Even if you know what you are doing, Windows can be a pain way more than even if you don't know what you are doing and use a Mac.

8. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

up untill this school year, i've been windows free for about 6-7 years. now in college, the school gave us all T42's, and while it's a great machine, windows is absolutely horrible. i use it mainly for homework and i use my powerbook whenever i can. on my thinkpad, i've already had to deal with a blue error screen (i don't think it was a BSOD) and countless other problems. just unbelievable how "spoiled" i've been with my powerbooks and the mac operating system!

9. Mach D thread starter macrumors newbie

Speed-wise, how does the T42 compare to your Powerbook? The T42 isn't a weak machine by any means.

10. bdomz macrumors member

Windows XP runs great as long as you are willing to reformat your computer every 3 months. In between these scheduled reformats just pray that you don't ever get a dreaded Stop Error because then you'll lose all your data and have to reinstall anyways. I can't believe I payed $99 for this garbage and actually thought it was so much better than Windows 98.

11. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

hahahah so true. And WIndows users accept it so much that when anyone says "i am having blah blah" problem they just say "just format it" and the people accept that be cause they expected it anyway.

i am no newbie to windows and i have to reformat my drive everynow and then. hell without constant upkeep the files just get so out hand it seems easier then trying to clean it up. my girlfriends 1 year old computer is basically dead and i have try a format. file after file keeps coming up inaccesable and corrupt. good times windows.

so many claim "you can do more with windows". theres a difference between being able to do more and HAVING to do more.

12. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

yup. i format my windows internet machine (AMD one) every month. and i format my other (P4 one) every 6 months. even then the internet-free machine doesnt really need it i just like to do it every now and again. the internet machine however is dying for a format after a few weeks!

thats why im saving for a mac and keeping my pcs AWAY from the ethernet ports!!!

freakin windows! gotta have one computer for internet and one for eveything else!

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    The Win to Mac transition has always seemed the easier and most rewarding route.

I managed to get my Dad (an old-guard stalwart of X86 since Windows 3.1) to opt for an eMac, and he is amazed how easy the switch was, how reliable the software and hardware is and how much more convenient the secure environment of Mac actually feels.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I haven't rebuilt my PC since I put it together almost a year ago (WXP Pro), and it's just as fast as it ever was....which is very! (3GHz, 1GB, 9800, SATA). I have never had a BSOD. Buy good hardware, not cheap sh*t, make sure it is all fully compatible, and has proper XP drivers, and you won’t have problems….oh, and don’t use IE!!!

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I've never understood why people have so many issues in Windows and I seem to have a virtually flawless "experience". The only conclusion I can come to is I'm a geek and I do tech support for Windows so I know its quirks well enough not to get trapped in them. :confused: *shrugs* I don't know. Maybe I'm just lucky.

16. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

so share the love!
    whats the biggest tip you could give windows xp sp2 based computers connected to the internet?

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

My only concern with switching is the importing of my itunes tracks.
    I've got my iTunes 4 Music Library.itl, and my iTunes Music Library.xml
    The thing I don't get is my tracks are going from a file structure of
    C:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\
    to whatever the heck pathing Apple uses for their home dir. In windows it pretty easy. Simply move those two files over to the new, in my case existing, computer. Start up iTunes and away I go.
    How do I import the songs, the ratings, my playlists, etc without needing to repath the few thousand tracks I have. :confused: Sorry for getting off topic.

18. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Wait another 3 months for vendors to test all their software and release patches for their products before upgrading to SP2.
    If you already upgraded to SP2 and are having specific problems on an app go into windows firewall software and make sure you have the exe for the app included in the exception list so the app can flow through the firewall.
    If you are still having some funky problems check your event logs by right clicking on My Computer on your desktop and selecting MANAGE. In the left hand pane look for EVENT VIEWER. Expand the view and look for the items marked APPLICATION and SYSTEM. If there are specific error occurring on your system they will most likely be listed there. If you open up a specific event item you will see 3 buttons on the right side. An up arrow, a down arrow, and a copy button. Click the copy button and go to http://www.eventid.net/parseevent.asp
    Paste the event into the window and click search. eventide.net is a very nice resource for tracking down errors and what they apply to. Its somewhat of an open forum. If someone else has had your problem they generally post a solution on the site. Very useful.
    I expect MS to release some updates for SP2 in the next few month along with an SP2a release. MS tried and failed badly on this release. And to a certain extent I think they knew this was going to happen. What you thought they were actually fixing bugs with all those SP delays? Na-ah. They were working on compatibility issues. Guaranteed. MS is in a bind when it comes to security. If they lock it down too tightly they are going to break apps left and right. If they don't people are going to complain about MS not caring about security. Call it revenge of the Karma for MS not taking security seriously for the last…well…how long as MS been in business?
    I've bitched about Apple's patches and software updates and how they have screwed people's computers over. I'm definitely going to have to append any future comments of that sort with MS is no better because SP2 has screwed up people boxes in a spectacular fashion. If you haven't BSODed with SP2 consider yourself lucky. I know two friends who have fragged their systems with SP2. One with a total BSOD that he was able to go into safe mode and uninstall the SP and was fine. The other who even after the rollback, well his computer hasn't been the same since.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not a geek and know nothing about tech support, and yet I have never reformatted my Windows PC (AMD Duron 650 MHz, 256MB of RAM, 64MB Geforce 4) that has been connected to the net for 3 years, and it runs very fast. It feels only a tad slower than my 12" 1GHz Powerbook, and my PB has more RAM.

Like edesignUK, I've also never had a BSOD, and I've never done a reformat, and this is after doing quite a few updates, say from Win98 to WinME, to WinXP. I've had spyware problems, and got the same 3 viruses over and over again, but removal wasn't difficult, and Adaware took care of spyware. I used Kazaa heaps, too, and nothing bad happened with that.

So :p

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Most of the problems, although aided by design flaws, in Windows are down to the user, If you click yes to a popup saying 'you have won a holiday' your asking for it....

I have a copy of Windows on my server and a bootdisk to re-install windows from the server over the network, this is very handy when my sister knackers up her laptop!

I also use filters on the internet to block popup's / worms and I keep a upto date copy of Symantec Anti-virtus (corporate) on all my machines.

If you have decent hardware, good solid drivers, a good anti-virus program and keep windows updated then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I disagree that WinXP is fine as long as you don't download attachments etc. My first big problem with Windows XP was installing the Backup program shipped with XP. It wasn't available in the XP installation, but it was in the ValueAdd folder. After installing it, my PC would bluescreen on bootup, even when booting in safe mode. I called MS and all they could tell me was to reformat and that it was my fault for installing unsupported software.

And that was only the beginning of my problems. The major problem I have with Microsoft is that they're sloppy. At work we develop some of our applications on Microsoft Access (although I'm trying to steer them toward .NET.) Access 2003 is the single buggiest application I have ever used. It seems to work/not work at random. We recommend to our customers that they don't use it, but unfortunately a lot of them have to because of their various corporate standards. Access has gotten worse and worse since Access 97, which IMHO was a solid program.

Sorry that this reply became an Access 2003 rant... I'll give you 3 guesses what I'm working on right now...

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    An out the box Mac is untroubled by such pop-up annoyances, users need no prior training to be 'safe'.

My lady (less techie than me by a long way) has only ever needed a battery change on her iBook; bootdisks and re-installations are unheard of, and long may that continue.

Macs scoring blanks on popups,worms,virus troubles etc, Again, the user would not need prior experience or heed any warnings to be happily going about their business.

Again, available out-the-box on every Mac, practically guaranteed as such.

It really isn’t down to the users, it is definitely the whole Windows environment. If my washing machine broke down as often as my peecee at work, I’d end up choosing to go down the river and bang my pants against the rocks.

23. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I switched exactly one year ago. I was really concerned about it because before that time, I had ZERO experience with a Mac. I use a PC at work and am fairl;y proficient getting around on it. THe out-of-the-box experience was very nice for the Mac though setting up the internet connection for me was a bit confusing. (Mostly because I didn't know what kind it was.)
    That said, I have to say that when I got my new PC from work with XP I, at first, had several problems with some programs that had to be fixed. But then all was smooth. 1 to 2 crashes a month but nothing severe. I agree with the comment about no IE. That program is just a POS. When I first got the XP I immediately downloaded Mozilla. Its the only way to fly. Excellent browser.
    I can't imagine not having my Mac now that I have it for my home. Good luck and hope that you get a Mac soon. Especially if you can get it before the Cram and Jam promo ends. Well worth the money.
    Pete

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Neither do windows users. All they need to know is DON'T USE INTERNET IMPLODER. [​IMG] Spreadfirefox.org Install and you are already 80% safer then before. Yes windows users shouldn't need to know this but that is a moot point. The fact is if you are going to use windows you damn well better know something about security and what to do to secure your system or you are screwed. I liken it to driving. You know where the wheel, accelerator, clutch, and breaks are. For windows you need to know this. For a Mac? its like sitting in the backseat while someone else is doing the driving. Both are legit ways to get where you are going. Macs just do it in style.

And as I've told several other people spy/adware makers don't target safari for one reason. They are a minority. There is no reason to target a browser that consists of less then a handful of webpage hits.
    Time will tell if this notion holds true now that in some est firefox is eating away at IE's market share big time. Some sites have reported that their hits consist of 18% FireFox and growing. I know for a fact that I still get the occasional javascript in FireFox from time to time. There is a possibility of developers creating a work around for the popup blocker. There always is.

And again I don't get why people are having so many problems in Windows. I've used it for years. Since migrating to the NT kernel (Going from NT to 2K, to XP.) I can honestly say I've BSOD's less then 10 times and 60% of that was because I was dicking with the drivers. Getting a round driver to fit into a square hardware slot so to speak. The rest. Well I know one was because I was using a beta version of Windows XP SP2 and it didn't like the WIFI NIC I had. Another was I was cycling between external monitor, LCD, and TV out too fast and all of a sudden DSOD with the error being the video driver .dll and last week I BSODed because I was trying to get a Windows XP audio driver to work on a newly installed copy of Windows Server 2003. (I've found that 2003 is much more stable then 2000 and XP.) One of the provided apps didn't like that I was running 2003 and choked on boot after installing the driver. The rest? Most if not all were because I'm a geek. I like putting the OS up on some stands, rolling under it and see how it ticks which occasionally causes the engine to sputter and die. :)

My 4 tips of stability for windows:
    FireFox -> Auto Update -> Firewall -> Norton AV Corp Edition.
    And to a lesser extent something other then MS Lookout. (aka MS Outlook.)

And those 4 tips aren't that hard to understand by the average user.

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Format every couple of months? You've got to be kidding me. I'm going on 3 years. I never even restart unless an installation requires it (and sometimes I even get around that). I have zero problems. I have norton, adaware, and some other cleanup programs scheduled to run regularly, but I wrote scipts to handle that at night when it won't bother me.