I have had it with wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Terzin1, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Terzin1 macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2006
    Can someone guide me through the process of manually setting up my wireless connection on my Powerbook g4? I am new to mac and dont know how to do it but the automatic setting refuses to give me good signals for our home router, yet loves to pick up my neighbors' networks. Seriously, I can put my laptop on my desk and If I move it two feet, I lose the signal yet can connect with the neighbors with 75% signal. wtf.
  2. bit density macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2004
    It's your neighbors fault

The reason that the FCC has not approved the N standard is precisely the problem listed. Your neighbor bought a fancy new box that is taking out the neighborhood.

We have an unindentified neighbor that has done the same thing. He turns on the the box at about 9 AM, and around 6 PM for about 20 minutes and takes out the entire neighborhood.

Fortunately, he does not leave the box on all day. But unfortunately, not long enough to identify who he is.

First thing you can try is changing channels on your box, that may work. Secondly, get a bigger more powerful box of your own. Last is to go talk to your neighbor.
  3. thicke macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Another thing that might cause problems are cordless phones that operate at 2.4 GHz. They tend to drown out the wireless signal.

We used to use one of these phones. Every time we would get a call, we would loose the network connection. We replaced it with a 5.8GHz phone and it stopped, when eve we were on the phone.