I have just bought a powerbook (2nd hand), how do i ...........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wylie, Mar 27, 2004.

1. wylie macrumors member

Change it so that it is registered to my name, at the moment it is still coming up as ..... the person i bought it from being the main user and administrater ?

im trying to install software at the moment, but it comes up saying i need to type the password etc for the previous user???

Oh and whats the easiest way of transferring files from my G4 powermac to my laptop?? any quicker ways than copying to CD ?

thanks

2. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

You should make the user you created for yourself a system administrator and delete the other account (once that works).

If you have a Firewire cable, you can use Firewire target mode (Google for instructions) to mount the HD of your G4 on the PowerBook. Theoretically, that is even faster than Ethernet (practically, it depends on whether your harddisks are fast enough).

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unless both computers are Gigabit ethernet. AFAIK PowerMacs and PowerBooks both are. You'll just have to wire them directly together to get this benefit, unless you happen to be the lucky owner of a gigabit router...

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

target mode would be "apple" (left of the space bar) aka "command" plus the "t" key (on the g4!!!).

then the g4 hard drive would be available on the laptop (see the desktop).

if the "administrator" the guy you bought (or got) the mac from is still available, then i would ask him about the password.

or else reinstall the os then you could install your own pwd.

5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

you should reformat everything and start off fresh...

6. nargot macrumors regular

starting fresh is a good idea under os X, gets rid of any potential probs