I have more storage space on Apple TV than my PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacConvoy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Which means I need to find an external solution to store the massive amounts of video I expect to be downloading over the years. I've never used an external hard drive before.

Question, will Apple TV link with an external hard drive on a network? Are there any particular brands that are easy to set up with Mac and Apple TV? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Western Digital's MyBook line has been pretty popular. Give them a try.

3. macrumors 604

Cave Man

It doesn't matter where your files are stored, so long as they are referenced in the iTunes that serves your ATV.

4. macrumors 6502

I actually have my entire iTunes Library stored on my external drive. Music, movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc. It is fairly easy to use and keeps my laptop uncluttered. However, I sometimes wish I was able to access some of that on the go, but I suppose that is what I get for having a small internal and a large external hard drive.

5. macrumors 604

gkarris

Best Buy's closing out last year's models. I got the 250Gig with both USB and FW for $59.

Try to hook it up FW, though, USB 2.0 is still a bit whimpy when it comes to audio and video file transfer...

6. macrumors 604

Cave Man

I am 0/2 on WD drives. First died at about 3 years, the other at 9 months. I'll never buy another one again - I'm sticking to Seagates.