I have no fraggin' idea

Discussion in 'Games' started by daveIT, Nov 3, 2006.

1. daveIT macrumors member

I've been out of the Mac gaming scene for quite some time. I've ordered a mac pro with an x1900. I'm definately getting Call of Duty 2 since I'm a war buff, but I'm wondering if I should get Doom 3 or Quake 4. What are your opinions on one versus the other? I tried to search this but didn't find a good thread.. Thanks!

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I loved Doom 3 but I thought Quake 4 was just okay...

Be sure to get the UB patches though.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Try the demo's.

Both game look great, but behind their pretty (in an dirty ugly shiny plasticy monsters way) is a very poor to slightly above average game.

iD have lost their position as the FPS genre definers along time ago.

I actually think Quake 4 is a slightly better game (but that's like comparing 1 messed up turd with another)

Get Bootcamp and get yourself some quality FPS. FarCry / HalfLife 2 etc...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm up to the final boss in Quake 4, and I didn't enjoy the ride as much as Doom 3. Though I did like the fact they actually have music in Quake, it just didn't absorb me as much as Doom. Still the only game series (including Doom 1-3) to actually scare me.

Though HL2 is much, much better.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The reason I liked Doom3 so much is well because I was anticipating the game a lot back in 2004 and I thought the graphics were going to be nice and all but they BLEW me away completely, I loved the atmosphere and I loved the game, watching the graphics all the way through...

There is still no game that has impressed me as much graphically, what I mean is sure new games are better looking, but none have been the jump Doom3 was.

I played through Doom3 again on my MacBook Pro on the highest settings (on windows), I still enjoyed it a lot and I'm about to start playing the expansion, I tried playing Quake 4 again on my Mac Pro and I stopped playing after the first level.

6. daveIT thread starter macrumors member

I haven't played and FPS on PC, Xbox or Playstation so I don't know what I'm missing. I have Quake 2 for my Mac, but I haven't played that in ages. I remember the reviews saying Doom 3 would make you jump.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it does the first level or two, but then you realise its the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Walk from corridor A - corridor B. Ocasionally flipping a switch or computer panel. Open a door, but its dark. 1 zombie walks towards you. shoot. 1 flame thrower zombie walks towards you. shoot. flip-switch, exit room. Down another corridor, zombie walks towards you. shoot.. etc......

It looks great, but just plays so 1989......

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Thats the whole point of the game... playing much like the original Doom, I loved it and I thought the flashlight bit was one of the best stuff about it, people were too stupid to understand its purpose though and whined, as always.

In fact, I think I liked Doom 3 more than Half Life 2

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a bit of a bold statement! Anyways, I don't know if I could go back to Doom 3, what with Quake 4 at least attacking the torch to 2 guns.

I did miss the music in Doom 3 though. I mean. Doom + Music is something giant. NEDM.

10. daveIT thread starter macrumors member

Best place to buy

Where do you guys usually buy your games? I'm thinking somewhere online. There's a CompUSA here but there wasn't much there last time I checked.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

ThePirat... oh, you said buy... :D