Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I woke up this morning and OSX reported that there was no space on the startup disk and its true, somehow I have lost 9 GB's of space overnight, OSX says i'm using all available space.

I know this is not true, I have no programs or anything that could create 9GB's of data overnight. I ran disk permissions before I went to bed as well.

Any thoughts?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
here's one idea

open up a Terminal and run the following. you'll be prompted each time for your password:

% sudo /etc/daily
% sudo /etc/weekly
% sudo /etc/monthly

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
CrackedButter said:
Terminal says there is no such job and what am i searching for in the finder? What are the search parametres?

use 'date modified' 'is within' 'the last day' (or you can use 'the last 2 days') then search. it will bring up a lot of random files. but scrole over and there should be a size colum. click that to organize by file size (largest at top) and maybe there will be some wierd 9GB file there.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
It has happened to me twice that my 9 GB disappeared and I got the same message that there is not enough disk space. Last time it happened the culprit was console logs. Open your terminal and write
cd /library/logs (press enter)
Then write
du -s -h * (press enter)

This would show you the size of each file in the log. If you see that the size of console is very big like in GB then write
cd console (press enter)
then write
ls (press enter).
It will show a folder with your name. Then write
cd thatName
then again write du -s -h * , to see which file is bloated. It will show files like console.log.0 console.log.1 and their sizes. If you see some bloated GB files, delete it.

PrintingGuru

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2004
Oh yeah.. somethng similar to this happened to me some time and I spent so much time trying to know what was going on, so its as simple as this huh..
Thanks...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
CrackedButter said:
Terminal says there is no such job
then you did something wrong. cut/paste the actual text (what you typed and what you got back) and we'll suss it out.

btw, those are jobs that the OS will run on a periodic basis that cleans up the system, including the kinds of files that grow over time and eat up a lot of disk space.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
A much easier alternative than the terminal. If you have room download Macjanitor, a small freeware app. It is a GUI app that runs the same processes as the terminal commands, just a little easier.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I downloaded macjanitor and it hasn't solved the problem.

Also, to the person who is asking me to perform a search with a date modifed parameter, I don't understand how you typed out that kind of search.

What am i searching for?

At this moment I feel such a thickhead... what you are asking me is probably something simple.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CrackedButter said:
Terminal says there is no such job

Don't type the % symbols, zim's just trying to confuse you :p (especially considering that Panther uses $ not %).

So just type:

sudo /etc/daily
sudo /etc/weekly
sudo /etc/monthly

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CrackedButter said:
Also, to the person who is asking me to perform a search with a date modifed parameter, I don't understand how you typed out that kind of search.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 95

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Why didn't somebody say Apple F?

Dammit! I've been searching in the box in the finder.

Thankyou for your help btw.

Now get this...

When I typed the latter "b" in the search box, the finder kept reloading. Also the program, "backup" would not open, insisting on finishing a job which it wouldn't start. Plus when I went to reinstall OSX, the installation process found my missing GB's.

I've reinstalled now as I think the problem was with backup and yet I couldn't access it plus the finder was acting up, repairing permissions didn't help and for some reason the laptop i'm using wouldn reboot either.

I seem to have had 4 problems hit me all in one go.

I will note something however, all my troubles started to happen when I set up Backup to copy certain files and folders to my external HD, we're talking GB's of information here as well. But not enough i think to fill up 9GB's incase I pointed the destination at my own internal drive, which I would of found because everything defaults to the parents directorys in the home folder.

Anyway... fresh new system now and no problems.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I once had a problem like this and the culprit was with my console log, somehow it managed to expand to 20GB in an hour or so and I just trashed it. Never found out what happened.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
CrackedButter said:
Why didn't somebody say Apple F?

Dammit! I've been searching in the box in the finder.

Thankyou for your help btw.

If you're using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) there is a search box in every finder window. Its in the top right.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
mklos said:
If you're using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) there is a search box in every finder window. Its in the top right.

If you had been reading you will notice that there are distinct differences between both searches, Apple F provides more options to search with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.