Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Obviously, it's a vacuous truth for now - you can't buy an Intel-based Mac yet. Even the $999 developer systems are loaners only.

But I'm curious how the transition to Intel will affect the collector's side of things. Will PowerPC-based Macs, even those coming out later this year and early next year, be instant collectibles?

Will having a brand new line of "Macintel" systems give collectors a focus, since they can try to get one of each from now on?

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
The last and fastest PPC equipped Macs, that I assume will be launched mid to end of next year may be considered the ones to "collect" by some. Looking back over Macs of the past however it seems the "collectable" Macs are the machines that where particularly innovative in design and made in small numbers, such as the T.A.M. No one is paying big money for the common place old 68K models because they where made in such large numbers just like the PPC machines today. They will be collectable from a nostalgic point of view, but thats it. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that the first of the Intel Macs will be the ones to keep in the future. Personally I am looking forward, in 10 years time to having a selection of G4 Powerbooks and a PM G5 in my collection when they will be available for a handful of beans.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I remember the first transition from the 68k to PowerPC. The resell value of the 68k went down big time. I would say this will happen to the current PowerPC line of Macintosh Computers, in fact I bet the next major Mac OS update after 10.5 will only be for intel based Mac's

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Maybe if it was 2015 they might be collectible - remember when the Macs didn't have Intel chips?

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Actually, tho, who made the ARM chips used in Newtons? Who makes the ARM chips used in iPods? Isn't there an Intel chip in the Airport hubs? OK, none of those are Macs, but there might be an Intel chip of some kind (memory, perhaps, or network) in many old Macs.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
cubist said:
Actually, tho, who made the ARM chips used in Newtons? Who makes the ARM chips used in iPods? Isn't there an Intel chip in the Airport hubs? OK, none of those are Macs, but there might be an Intel chip of some kind (memory, perhaps, or network) in many old Macs.

AMD made the chips in the Airport. This is going to be weird. I dont care who You are.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Cubist said...
Actually, tho, who made the ARM chips used in Newtons? Who makes the ARM chips used in iPods?
The ARM chips are made by Arm Holdings (http://www.arm.com) - it started as Acorn Research Machines and they made the old BBC computers before making their own branded machines, which became quite popular in the education market. They make a shedload of different chips now for things like mobile phones, iPods of course, and embedded chips in things like washing machines and cars etc. I think most of their income comes from licensing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.