I have problems to get free space for iPartition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tirengarfio, Nov 7, 2006.

1. tirengarfio macrumors newbie

Hi,

i have problems to partition my hard disk with iPartition:

When i want to create a partition of my hard disk (you know, with a bootable CD or from another mac) the only free space i have is 128 MB.

As i read in the help of iPartition, my problem could be solve when i defrag the with the app iDefrag, but when i try to use it, it crashes without defraging it.

I have decided to use another app to defrag it like Speed Utilities but after defraging it keeps having 128 MB free to make my partition...

I have read now the help of iPartition and they say defraging with other app instead of iDefrag couldn't work to get free space for iPartition.

What is your advice?

2. tirengarfio thread starter macrumors newbie

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My advice? Free up more disk space before proceeding.

Perhaps you're confused as to what iDefrag is supposed to do. Defragging your hard drive doesn't free up disk space, it moves fragmented files (files whose 'parts' are split up on the hard drive) to contiguous space (all the parts are arranged in order) for faster access.

Ultimately, if 128MB is REALLY all the disk space you have left, that is WAY below the minimum "safe" amount of disk space left to have. Recommendations are to have a minimum of 15% of your hard drive as free disk space.

Having that small an amount of disk space means that the OS is virtually unable to create swap when you need free RAM, which may also be why iDefrag is crashing.

So.. my advice.. free up more disk space or you risk corrupting your data.

4. tirengarfio thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your interest, but thats not the problem, cos i have free 23 GB

5. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

15% of your HD as free space?? I've got a 160GB, so your saying I should have ~24GB free? That doesnt sound right.

Maybe a few Gigs, but not >10gigs. I usually only have ~3-5Gigs free and dont have any problems. At the ,moment I have 20 Gigs free and have seen no speed improvement.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which is rather contradictory to your original post:

That's the recommendation..

http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=143&Itemid=68