Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
So i had iOS6 on my 4S and got around 7-8hours of wifi usage out of it. I also had iOS7 beta6 and it gave me the same battery duration.
But as the GM released i just clicked on update and instantly had a battery life of around 4hours of wifi usage. When the final released on wednesday i fully restored the device but that did not improve it.

Now this is what i'm currently doing in hope to see some improvements(step by step) :
-delete each email account(also icloud) one by one on the phone itself
-reset the networksettings on the phone
-reset all settings
-entered DFU mode
-connected the phone to iTunes and now i am restoring the device as new
-turn off ALL battery draining settings(localization/spotlight/background refresh/parallax/system services)
-i only turned on one wifi network and icloud sync for contacts nothing else(no email acounts, nothing)
-i even did not install any apps!

I will let it charge to 100% now and report back.

Feel free to contribute :)

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Love to see your findings. Keep us posted.

My iPhone 5 had great battery life on Beta 6, and GM build.

I downloaded the official release and now its dropping faster than usual.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
So here is what i finally did after the restore:
-turn off all settings as said
-only thing i turned on is icloud sync for contacts

Strange thing is i instantly get 750mb of "other" data...

Now i let it charge to 100% and see how it ends up. I really hope my battery is not broken :/

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The battery on my 4S on 7.0 has been good from the get go.

I simply plugged into CPU, restored, did a iTunes software install and set up as new.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I can still see the % drop very fast! Nothing has changed.

Seek a diagnostic from an Apple Genius Bar if your concerned.

Personally I achieve 1 days use on my iPhone 5.

I consider myself to be a moderate user.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Seek a diagnostic from an Apple Genius Bar if your concerned.

Personally I achieve 1 days use on my iPhone 5.

I consider myself to be a moderate user.

I have no AppleStore near me. Can an AppleAuthorizedServicePartner(AASP) do the same? Or maybe can the Apple support hotline help me?

But on the other hand there are many people with a similar problem. No matter how many clean restores one does, it still drains the battery fast...

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I think I have figured it out now, from beta 1 to final release trying all different tweaks.
Facebook messenger is culprit, I switched off the notification and battery is holding up.
Will update if this keeps getting better then next step will be delete facebook and messenger all together.

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
iOS 7 uses multipath TCP... If you use wifi, turn cellular off.. If you use cellular, turn wifi off. Otherwise you have both radios running in parallel

Apple NZ

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
I think I have figured it out now, from beta 1 to final release trying all different tweaks.
Facebook messenger is culprit, I switched off the notification and battery is holding up.
Will update if this keeps getting better then next step will be delete facebook and messenger all together.

I'm suspecting the same for Facebook Messenger, the normal Facebook app seems ok though (although I don't have notifications on for that one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.