Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I really want to buy an iMac, but with all of its problems, I think I want to forgo buying a BTO from Apple and maybe just buy a stock model from the Apple Store in Tyson’s Corner or Apple.com so it's easier to deal with any potential problems. I just some basic questions though:

1. Can you use the education discount at the Apple store?

2. Is the return policy same for online purchases? 10 days? How much do you have to pay for repackaging fee?

3. Can you return an online purchase to the store?

4. Is it easy to install RAM and an AE card?

5. If there's a problem, will it show up right away? Or could it possibly show up later?

Thanks!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Hi dferigmu, I work at the Apple Store, and I'd be happy to answer your questions. :cool:

Absolutely. All you need is your student ID, tuition bill or class schedule (with your name on it). There are other ways of showing your student status, too. You can then receive the discount (which is about 10%) on Apple hardware and service. This is the same discount you can get online.

2. Is the return policy same for online purchases? 10 days? How much do you have to pay for repackaging fee?

You can return the computer within 14 days. If it's opened, there is a 10% restocking fee.

Yes, as long as it is a stock configuration, as they won't accept CTO. For example, if you ordered your computer online with any extras like disk space or an Airport card.

Yes, they are both very easy to install in the new iMac. The AE card is easiest, as you only need to slide it in. RAM can be more tricky, which is why it is nice to let the Mac Geniuses at the store do it for you for free when you buy.

5. If there's a problem, will it show up right away? Or could it possibly show up later?

It really depends. Some Apple models are flawless from the day they leave the factory, others are laden with "little issues" and a rare few have major problems.

As with all computers, the most expensive repairs will be logic board failure and LCD replacement. While somewhat rare, if these things do happen after your warranty expires, it will probably not be worth replacing.

In most cases, the relatively low price and coverage that AppleCare provides is usually worth it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Keep in mind that with the internet, small problems can end up sounding really big. Given the number of units shipped, there have been few issues. And I would think that it would be safe to say, fewer issues as time goes on.

I have bought from Apple-Tysons, good people over there. Also if repairs are needed, they are pretty quick.

If you want BT or the larger HDD; don't be afraid of a BTO.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
dferrara said:
Hi dferigmu, I work at the Apple Store, and I'd be happy to answer your questions. :cool:

Absolutely. All you need is your student ID, tuition bill or class schedule (with your name on it). There are other ways of showing your student status, too. You can then receive the discount (which is about 10%) on Apple hardware and service. This is the same discount you can get online.

You can return the computer within 14 days. If it's opened, there is a 10% restocking fee.

Yes, as long as it is a stock configuration, as they won't accept CTO. For example, if you ordered your computer online with any extras like disk space or an Airport card.

Yes, they are both very easy to install in the new iMac. The AE card is easiest, as you only need to slide it in. RAM can be more tricky, which is why it is nice to let the Mac Geniuses at the store do it for you for free when you buy.

It really depends. Some Apple models are flawless from the day they leave the factory, others are laden with "little issues" and a rare few have major problems.

As with all computers, the most expensive repairs will be logic board failure and LCD replacement. While somewhat rare, if these things do happen after your warranty expires, it will probably not be worth replacing.

In most cases, the relatively low price and coverage that AppleCare provides is usually worth it.

Wow! Great answers, thanks. I am definitely buying Applecare.

Just one more question, about how many people do you get in the store with iMac problems?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
No problem. :)

Most of the computers I see are older iMacs, laptops and the occassional Powermac G5. Now, keep in mind I only work part-time, but I don't think I've seen a single new iMac at the genius bar.

rougert

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2004
dferigmu said:
I really want to buy an iMac, but with all of its problems, I think I want to forgo buying a BTO from Apple and maybe just buy a stock model from the Apple Store in Tyson’s Corner or Apple.com so it's easier to deal with any potential problems. I just some basic questions though:

Thanks!
1. Yes. See other respondents to your question.
2. Return policy is excellent. The only caveat is you will have to pay for insurance on top of shipping and handling to ship it back to the Apple Return Store. Purolator will reimburse the shipper $100.00 for a $3,000 PowerBook, if the shipment is not insured and if it is lost in transit.
3. You cannot take the item to be returned to the store yourself. It must be shipped via reliable courier where the item can be tracked.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
dferrara said:
Hack, cough... what??? I was told at my local apple store I could return my custom-ordered iMac to the local store... which was one of the main reasons I ordered it from the store.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.