I have switched to Apple because...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChemicalGeoff, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

Hello all,

Forgive me if I break any guidelines here but i am new to the forums and (as you may guess) new to apple in general. My Power Mac G5 is v...e...r....y.... slowly winging it's way here as we speak but whilst waiting for it to arrive I have been bombarded with PC users asking me why the heck i've switched over and although i feel it in my heart to be the correct thing to do, my replies have never been great.

So what I am asking is can anyone complete the following sentance using 100 words or less (or more, i dont actually care).

"I have switched to Apple because... "

Feel free to use all the best l33t words but I assure you i've already tried "OMFG j00 r t3h stup1d, Macs > *" and that didn't convince them enough.

Many Thanks

Geoff

Footer to follow when i actually HAVE a Mac...

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

OS X, when you get it, you'll know.
    The reason you are being bombarded is all their angst for they know that without the games, OS X makes a Mac a MUCH BETTER choice.

You have nothing to prove. Just smile and wave.....

I'd say "OS X, that's why." - They can't have a leg to stand on.

3. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

ChemicalGeoff!

If I find myself in one of those conversations that entail Mac vs. PC, I try to refrain from trite one-liners and instead just state the reasons why *I* think the Mac is superior. So, if I were you, then I would ask myself what it is EXACTLY that I enjoy about the Mac. Here are a few from my list:

* I prefer he Mac's document based desktop rather than the "windows" based desktop.

* I like Apple's single menu bar rather than each application having its own menu bar in its window.

* One word: E-X-P-O-S-É

* MUCH better integratino of keyboard commands for doing things as well as typing. (Try hitting 'option-e' and then 'e'. that should result in this: é.)

* Now with Tiger, the ctrl-cmmd-d dictionary command. Incredible!

Those are just a few for me, but I think that you get the idea. In all reality, though, I don't get into those arguments anymore. If anything, I am seeing more and more people trying out both platforms. When I did work at a book manufacturer, everyday I worked on most of the major platforms: we had OS X boxen, XP boxen, OS 9 boxen, and Linux boxen. Each was used depending on the task that was needed. And, to be perfectly frank, XP is not that bad! Yes, I think OS X is superior, but XP gets the job done.

With that last paragraph, I think what I am trying to say is son't worry about your friends and what they might say and that arguments. Just enjoy your Mac!

:D

Have fun... Tony.

4. ChemicalGeoff thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess it's true everyone has their own reasons for switching. I think mine may be linked to the fact I've been working in a local PC (strictly Windows & Intel only, according to senior management AMD are useless and they just cover their ears and go running at the word Apple) shop and I'm just ready for a bit of a change now. Been working on 10.3" Tablet PC for a year and am mighty looking forward to the 20" ACD.

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sorry?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Geoff - ignore them. Just smile - at some point, they'll see something you've done on your Mac, or see you working on it and you'll find them going 'oooh, that's quite cool...' And it's the eyecandy - not the really cool stuff that has them doing that. PC users will gripe about not having a maximise full screen button or having the top system menu bar but show them Exposé, iMovie or Garageband and they'll be amazed.

As far as why? Someone showed me OS X about the time I was looking for a laptop and I was blown away by how good it looked. Then she showed me the cool iApps which just worked™ and so much more elegantly than on my old PC. Then she mentioned the lack of viruses and spyware and it all just made sense.

I like doing creative things on my computer as opposed to doing creative things to my computer to keep it working.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

The smile and smug works best for me. Let them insult it and degrade it as much as they like and just sit back and look smug safe in the knowledge they don't know what they're on about.
    Then later on, when it happens they are there, casually hit f12 or f9 while they're watching (be sure to have lots of windows open & widgets) or do a spotlight search for something or do this and soon enough they'll be oohing and aahing. Just act like it aint nothin and you'll get this strange warm feeling inside - the feeling or superiority!

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

can you say no spyware or viruses? not to mention a very secure and smothly running OS! after a few weeks of having NO problems with your macs, and your PC buddies complaining about 'i lost my doc b/c of some virus' or 'my computer was running so slow until i ran 5 spyware cleaners and it took me 3 hours to complete' then you will understand why mac is superior

9. ChemicalGeoff thread starter macrumors member

Very true, a housemate of mine just recieved his top spec Alienware Laptop (took longer, even, than my Power Mac to arrive) and yes it does play games very nicely (would recommend Lego Star Wars to anyone up for a laugh) but he scanned it for spyware but one day after getting it and it came up with 15 or so hits, which isn't that many in the scheme of things but after only one day!

Sheesh

I don't care what they say, my Power Mac WILL bring balance to the force...

10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

1.far more stable than windows
    2.Look nicer

I know it can be hard when Windows lovers go on mac bashing mode it gets especially bad when they have no knowledge of computers yet they have the nerve to insult mac's these people are just ignorant

11. ChemicalGeoff thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, the main culprit works as a technician for PC World, those of us who live in the UK know that anyone who works at PC World must have absolutely NO knowledge of computing in order to be allowed to work there.

12. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Calm. OS X calms me. Windows is stressful, boxy, and looks like a computer. OS X looks like a piece of art, and works like a person thinks. Instead of bending your will to how XP wants you to do things, it seems OS X was designed around how people think, and work. So many more drag and drop options and integration between the apps...so so so!! The list goes on. Expose is awesome, spotlight makes things SO fast, only had it a few weeks, and I'd go nuts if I had to give that up....

Let's put it this way. The features Tiger has NOW, Longhorn is supposed to have THEN, and by THEN, I mean 2006....maybe? And in technology years...that's like a decade. Tell all your windows buddies that OS X has features now that Bill Gates is still trying to code, that's why you bought a Mac.

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nicely put I also love the way OSX is so customizable as in all the icons can be altered easily the dock can be tweaked to exactly how you like it, its heaven

14. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

For my part, I prefer X for it's Unix base and nearly maintenance free. I can spend time to make new stuff (movie editing, animation...). Since I don't lose time figure out how to make my machine work, I spend my time learning new software. Let be true there's a few area where OS X still lack a bit, but the advantage far outtake the downside in my own opinion.

Check this site it may help you to figure out where the advantage are:
    www.xvsxp.com

15. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That is also a huge plus...practically 0 fix time. It's very maintenance free. Sure, you can keep viruses and spyware off windows with proper safekeeping and spyware/virusware products, but, you have to A: Spend money to purchase worthwhile ones, B: Install them C: Update them D: Format your computer after 6 months anways because you can't catch everything. So sure...you can keep your computer clean, but it takes hours and effort...I can spend those same hours and effort doing and creating, and not just maintaining.

16. ChemicalGeoff thread starter macrumors member

True and a decent antivirus package for a windows pc will eat huge amounts of RAM and processor speed just to sit in the background.

Not Good

Think i might print this thread and force feed it to my infidel PC friends.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Would advise not - you'll just put their backs up and make them less likely to listen when it finally arrives. Just smile and shrug at the moment (it's your money after all).

Once it arrives and you can show them the cool stuff that you're producing, or shrug when they're complaining about spyware, that's the point you'll start making them think twice.

18. ChemicalGeoff thread starter macrumors member

You are, of course, correct. Taking a back seat and being smug is a much better victory; the true Jedi way.

P.S. I apologise for all the star-wars references in these posts... I am, you see, incredibly sad (and i dont mean emotion-wise).

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Thats exactly why I switched. Think Different.

20. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I switched mainly because at school my favorite teacher is a Mac Addict, and throughout his classes used a lot of Pro Apps on a Mac, most specifically DVD SP. I fell in love with DVD Authoring. At home, on my recently built, not too shabby PC, I managed a copy of Adobe Encore. What a let down! It was like racing a cow at the Kentucky derby! Sure, it can run, but it's an awful lot harder getting it to go. I couldn't figure out Encore for the life of me...I kept longing for DVDSP. My main "excuse" for switching? I can make better product on a Mac. OS X, the hardware just came along with it, and those just add to the tally! I get picked on alllll the time, but, just smile and shrug, glory in your coolness, and continue to watch them suffer!

21. plastique45 macrumors regular

Easy:

1-Macs are cheaper
    2-Macs are faster
    3-Macs use the latest components available
    4-Macs are a good investment because they can be easily upgraded
    5-Macs have more softwares, especially games.

Oh no, wait, it's the other way around!

22. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Go on the offensive...

I have had to work with many failed programmers. They are interested in "Tiger". However, they think that there isn't any good software available for the Mac. So, this is what I do....

I ask them what they want to do with their PC and what programs they use. Then I tell them about programs like the iApps, Mellel, and games that are available for the Mac. For instance, most people have no idea that their are game makers like Aspyr, Mac Soft, etc. I tell them that usually if a game is popular, it will be out on the Mac. I try to tell them what they will be able to continue doing with a Mac.

Saying that a person should really have both a Mac, PC, and a game console usually works very well. However, I think that most people will eventually end up using the game console and the Mac, while the PC will be used for "Counterstrike" and collecting dust.

Common misconceptions...

1. "Office" is PC only. I actually heard this while walking into an Apple store."I need office, so I will never switch to a mac." 2. "Word" is the only word processor. 3. Will have to buy "virtual PC", in order to run windows. 4. There isn't any software for the mac. 5. Macs are expensive. 6. Macs put style over substance.

These are the reasons I can't switch my parents over. I am going insane here!

23. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

It just bugs me when I start talk about computers, I mention that I have a mac and people are like ooo do you do graphic design cause that all macs are good for. If you want a real computer you need windows.

Ug.. Then I explain that I'm a computer science person, and macs are the becoming the platform of choice for may *nix types. You can't beat it. All the power of unix with the ability to get commercial software(ie Word, and Games)

Another good one would be informing people that one of the fast computers in the world is made from powermacs and OSX.

If that doesn't work possibly mentioning that all the next generation gaming consoles are using some for of the PowerPC.

24. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Them: "Oh Man! I just got a virus!"
    You: "What the hell is a virus??"

That should work...

OR, do this infront of them: download stuff from P2p and see who doesnt get infected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.