I Have The Country's Fastest ISP ...Blowing by you all

Discussion in 'Community' started by jiggie2g, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Hello people just wanted to know if any of u were aware that Cablevisions Optimum Online(OOL) service offers Speed of 10,000kbps/1,000kbps for $44.95/monthly if u are a Digital Cable subscriber $49.95 if ur not. anyway just wanted to gloat and show off my 1MB/s down, 1mb/s up speeds. how bout all u other folks out there how do your speeds match up. OOL is only avalible in the NY,NJ,CT area ....sorry.

2. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...:p

3. macrumors 6502a

I lived in NY until a year ago. I had optimum online since it first became available.My parents as well as my fiancé's brother still have it.

It is quite fast but you may only see those speeds about 50% of the time. There are lots of drop-offs. It's cool when you're downloading something while the speed is up.

I've had dsl since moving to PA and despite it being slower, it is unbelievably more consistent, i have no speed drop offs and see upwards of 95% of my advertised speeds despite being at the maximum distance from the CO.

4. macrumors newbie

Not impressed

I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

5. macrumors 6502a

I'm on an OC122 shared by two neighbors, none of you can beat that!

6. macrumors G3

Counterfit

OC122? That's faster than Internet2! :eek:

Would you like to be my neighbor? :D

edit: I should clarify, that's faster than the connection that Goddard's GigaPop, which is WPI's access node for Internet2, has to the Qwest Abilene backbone of Internet2. The connection is OC-3 (155Mb/s), and scaleable to OC-48 (2488Mb/s :eek: ). Quick math says that OC-122 is about....6303Mb/s!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. macrumors 601

stoid

:D :D :D

8. macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Not impressed

What company is that offers this type of service? Is it avaialable in Massachusetts?

9. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Honestly, a regular cable modem service is going to give you sufficient speed anyway, how often is your ISP going to be the bottleneck?

10. macrumors G3

Counterfit

The ISP usually is the bottleneck. That said, it seems like a pretty good deal. More than 3 times the speed I have at home (3Mbit from Cox) for only $10 more per month. But I want to know, are any ports blocked, i.e. can I run a webserver/fileserver?

11. macrumors 68020

howard

at my home they just added 3 mbps to ours...that makes it 4 which i many times reach...its really pretty disgusting...beats the crap out of the T3 at school.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

tpjunkie,

and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...

tpjunkie aka mr.T3 when i wrote 1MB/s i ment MB as in MEGABYTE as in 8mb/s+ not megabit as in 100KB/s i actually attain those speeds quite often about 90% of the time sometimes site servers are slow , check us out on DSL Reports/BroadBand Reports we kick everyones asses on the speed test, we are wayy off the charts 10-11mb/s is just killer we download 64MB files in less than 55 seconds HAHA . awww campus connection how cute do u actually get to take that bandwith home with you .....didn't think so.
    Originally posted by jburrw ,

I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

And may i ask jburrw , how much is this fiber connection surely not $44.95 a month i'd bet $99/m . plus when ur at 11mb a sec can u really tell the difference between 11-16mb/s , honestly once you get past 6-7mb/s it's doesn't seem like much of a difference. the speed gap between 1.5mb/s DSL vs. 3-4mb/s cable is much more noticable.

13. macrumors regular

I would assume that he lives on campus so ya he probably does.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

candan9019
    I would assume that he lives on campus so ya he probably does.

no actually one lives on a campus yea u stay there during your semester , but i ment home as your Permanent residence , you REAL HOME as in landlords , rent, morgage , being able to bring a girl over with out having to worry about ur room mate or dorm rules.

15. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Those of us with a shred of maturity aren't impressed, even if you were on a connection with a gigabit per second.

16. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Exactly.

I get 3.5 megabits down, .5 megabits up. for like 34.99 a month. Not bad.

17. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You're all so lucky with your fast connections :(

Our stupid Govt is perfectly happy to let the local monopoly charge US$40 for a 128k connection :mad:

Oh, and if you want anything faster, that'll be 13c per MB, thanks :eek: :mad:

18. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: I Have The Country's Fastest ISP ...Blowing by you all

I've had the same deal for a lot longer...

But I have less a month... I have one of these 4 year plans they offered like once... it was at $29.99 a month, they have wanted to kill that contract ever since.

:p

Outside the U.S its absurd, unless you live in Korea or Hong Kong, then you are set... 1 GB/second for $1 a month... really guys.

:p

19. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Awwwww... that's cute. There's a company here in Colorado called Champion Broadband - limited area, unfortunately - that offers bidirectional 10 Mbps.

20. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    now were comparing bandwidth?

sheesh

im happy with 512, dorm connections are okay, but in cali i get a 5 mbit, not too shaby. but i never really use it to its full capacity anyway

21. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My 2Mbit cable is feeling slow :(

:p, na, not really, it's pretty much the best you can get in the UK anyway :D

22. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Umm.. There is no such thing as OC-122. And the Internet 2 backbone is running at OC-192, which is around 10 Gbps. There is also the NLR project that has 40 10 GbE lambdas running across it. (http://www.nationallambdarail.org/architecture.html).

To find the speed of an "OC" connection, divide by two and move the decimal point over a bit.

OC-3 = 155 Mbps
    OC-12=622 Mbps
    OC-48=2444 Mbps
    OC-192=(approx) 10Gbps

At work I have a Gigabit Ethernet connection to our core which has a gigabit connection to I2. Unless you are using bittorrent, my 3 mbps cable modem never slows me down more than I care

23. macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you look at the edit, I clarified that it's faster than WPI's connection to I2.

24. macrumors 6502a

Jiggie,

For starters, use the QUOTE button when quoting people.

Second, I've used OO for a long time as well as know people that still do. Don't even try to tell me that you see those speeds 90% of the time. I'll never buy it.

I interact daily with people using their service. It drops off constantly. In addition, try getting any amount of tech support from them... especially if you expect to talk to someone that speaks english. Also if they find out your running a home network with only one modem they will try to charge you extra. It states right on the website that you'll need additional modems for additional computers and be charged an additional monthly fee. This is common among cable companies as your bandwidth is not yours and is shared among your neighbors.

DSL does not do this. In my contract it states I can run as many computers as i like as home. My bandwidth is static and my own to use and split between multiple home computers.

25. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

exactly...90% of the time you achieve your optimal speeds? Bull$%!&. I rarely hit better than 100 KB/sec with my cable modem at home (although i have gone over 3mb/sec from hotline servers based on campus networks) At school, I have never once come close to what the connection is capable of, and I have been to some speedy sites/servers.

And considering that my college runs from september to june, I spend more time living at school than I do at home; in fact I can now declare new york state residency, and I am registered to vote here. Do I take all my bandwith home? No, I "only" have a cable connection at home, which is quite sufficient for my needs, and the needs of almost any individual that isn't working for a company like bloomberg that needs to lay in 10 gigabit connections to its offices. Besides, when you're using a wireless connection, you're limiting yourself right there anyway :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.