I have the damn white spots!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gundam, Oct 29, 2003.

1. gundam macrumors member

My 15" arrived today after a 2 week wait... I thought that since it was being delivered relatively late that this seemingly widespread issue would have been resolved. Alas, I have the damn spots! I didn't notice them until I dimmed the lights and specifically looked for them against a white background, but sure enough there were 3 or 4, one more visible than the rest. Probably I wouldn't have realized if I hadn't gone looking, but now I know they're there and my eyes keep trying to discern them all the time. Is there any chance they will go away by themselves or might they get worse? Should I demand a replacement or repair? Should I go through the dealer or through Applecare? Aaargghh!!! After years of anticipation, I finally spend a fortune on my first Mac, only to be tormented by these ridiculous spots

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, time for your first call to Apple. Pity it had to come so soon. And how is it that you can see the spots against a white background? I would think that it would mask them.

3. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Actually, Counterfeit, they are most visible against white. They are less visible against darker colors.

I have a couple of very small ones. If mine get worse, I'll probably take my powerbook back to the Apple store and see if they will send it for repair.

Alia

4. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

is this the kind of defect that would lead to a recall? or this along with the latch ?

5. gundam thread starter macrumors member

*sigh* will they be disposed to replace/repair or will they consider me a troublesome customer since the spots are not easily noticeable? Should I wait a few days to see if it improves?

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Don't wait, they will not improve. Call apple and at the very least get a case number, you don't have to send it back right away.

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

i would seriously doubt it. First off, the latch is not defective. The powerbook has to be firmly closed in order for it to engage, but this is not a manufacturing flaw. Secondly, the 'white spots' issue is not nearly as prevelant as many think. I have seen around 20 of the new powerbooks and none have had this issue.

Given the amoount that i have heard of that are defective (screen wise) it would be far cheaper for apple to fix the individual complaints than to have a recall (which would costs millions and be far worse publicity than the current complaints are).

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

My new Powerbook arrives tomorrow...

::::::fingers crossed:::::::::

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But how? White spots on a white background? I just don't get it, and neither did my PowerBook (phew!)

10. Nebbish macrumors newbie

Just assume hey are brighter/whiter. sort of like what would happen if you used tooth whitener on one tooth... all are whitish, but one is whiter/brighter.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Uhhh, I think I got it now.... maybe.

Yeah I do :)