I have the power to switch my boss over to Mac...the power!

Discussion in 'Community' started by slb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. slb macrumors 6502

I was helping my boss with her Windows machine as she was trying to make a presentation in Powerpoint. The microphone was making a weird buzzing sound like electronic interference. I went through some troubleshooting steps trying to locate the problem, and suddenly I smiled to myself and casually mentioned while discussing possible solutions, "or you could buy an Apple Macintosh."

Her eyes actually lit up and she asked about it. I told her they "generally have less problems." Honest to god, she asked, "Well why don't we have those then?" I laughed and said I guess it's because they don't sell them locally here. She mentioned the original Apple II computers ("they started with the Apple, right?"), so she's familiar with the company. Her interest surprised me.

I'm using my Windows laptop at work, but once my iBook comes in, I'm going to use that and show off. I suddenly realize I could push just enough to get the entire company switched over. Wow. I have the power to switch my entire company over to Mac on a whim. Being the IT guy, it sure would fix a hell of a lot of problems I'm always having to solve, too. Feel the power.

Just thought I'd share. :) Anyone else have stories to tell of getting people to switch or close to switching?

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Awesome. Hopefully they don't replace the IT guy, then :p

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, my manager's going to the Tiger release party tonight and is at least open to the idea of getting a Mac. My fingers are crossed, as that would make one more advocate on the chain of command for purchasing decisions here at work. ;)

4. slb thread starter macrumors 6502

Casualty of war. I'll sacrifice myself for the cause.

Actually, I also do the website, take pictures and make flyers, and more, so I'm safe. :)

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Made teh call myself. Set up a new commission (small staff). Opted for a Mac solution. I'm hoping to leverage it elsewhere . . .

Really, for a small business Macs make more sense unless you have very specific needs for software that works only on Windows. Most small businesses/organizations don't. They need email, MS Office, and some other stuff. We have zero problems with viruses, virtually 100% runtime on teh computers and server. Biggest problem has been a balky printer.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I might switch my parents. :p

They don't know lick about computers, so while I was trying to get something to work in Windows and having a bit of trouble myself, I just turned to them and said, "You realize that the next time you purchase a computer, it'll be a Mac Mini, right?"

And they said, "Oh, okay son." :cool: SWEET!!