I have to go back...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Nov 27, 2005.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    So i'm back. Back from the world of pc desktops. I still need something to connect me to the pc world for things that don't work on the mac, so i have the pc laptop. Anyways, my point is that after buying a PowerMac and selling it a few months ago and building an AMD X2 system with Windows XP MCE, I have begun to become so frustrated!! I have formatted and reinstalled Windows at least 4 times since I built this machine, it has only been 2 weeks!! Things don't work right and while I love to be able to record shows via the Media Center and PVR, it's not worth it to me anymore. I want to be able to USE the computer like it was meant to be used. I can still do everything on that PC, but not the Media Center thing without it being way too buggy. And that's really the main reason why I went back. So I have now decided to up and sell all my pc stuff on ebay, we'll see how much I get.

And so after Christmas I will be looking for a new Apple desktop. I'd like a PowerMac Dual processor or CPU computer if I can afford it. I already have the Dell 2005FPW, but am considering selling that as well and upgrading to a bigger monitor or just getting the iMac. But I'd really like the dual function of the PowerMac. I guess I don't really have a question, I'm just ranting. I cannot wait to sell that pc stuff. Of course I'm keeping the 160gb hard drive and 512x2 RAM sticks so I can stick in the PowerMac when I get it, but if I get an iMac, I will probably sell those then.

I like to do video, audio recording, photo editing etc. I just want my Mac back!!
  2. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    can you hold your breath just a little longer and try your luck with the possibly great intel Mac line?

until then...

Good luck :p
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    While I'm sorry to hear about your problems after going back to PC's, I'm glad to hear you're coming back. I would suggest checking out the new iMacs if you're on a budget. They are probably the best value out there right now.
  4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    He brings up a good point. If you're able to you might want to wait until MWSF to see what Apple comes out with. Either you'll get a better machine or save money by getting an old model.
  5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    I might be able to swing a Dual 2ghz PowerMac for $1200 with 2.5gb RAM, 160GB hard drive from a friend. Should I get that? Or would I be better off waiting?
  6. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    that would seem to be a good deal.

What Rev?
  7. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

Jan 13, 2005
    I'd recommend waiting for the Intel Macs. The thing with PCs is that you can make them stable if you stop doing the things that break them. Sounds crazy, I know, but let's face it. It seems that your PVR software is causing your computer to crash. So... stop using it. Find an alternative program... there's loads of options out there. It just might be enough to help you hold out until some Intel lovin' comes to the Apple universe. Or get an iBook. I think that everyone should own an iBook. :p
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Does that dual 2.0 have 4 or 8 DIMM slots?

8DIMM slots + Rev B Pro motherboard PCI_X

4DIMM slots =Prosumer motherboard Standard PCI

If it has 8 grab it, if it only has 4 pass and get a new dual core.

THe most importantfeature of the new dual cores is that they now have

PCI-Express which is a total motherboard change

Also about that RAM you were thinking of transferring

The new dual core PowerMacs use DDR2 PC2 4200 DIMMs
  9. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    yeah i know about the RAM. I don't think I'd be able to afford the new dual core pcs anyway. I'm really looking at under $1300
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    that would be a great deal, even if it is the "crippled" dual 2.0. And if it's not - wow!
  11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Indeed--either way, that price sounds quite good. If it's one of the "good" ones, all the better (even if it's not, you're looking at at least $200 of RAM already in it). Being that I'm using one right now (with the same 2.5G no less), I can vouch that it's a very nice box to have under your desk and I only wish mine had cost $1200.

That you're only spending $1200 on it is also something of an advantage so that you can get running right now, then replace it in a year or three (depending on finances and available options) with a newer Intel-based machine without blowing a large initial investment.
  12. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
  13. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.

your "pc" stuff might be of interest to some folks here :D

check out the marketplace forum!