I have to purchase a PC for my office

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ancdawf, Nov 23, 2003.

1. ancdawf macrumors newbie

yes there are some things Macs will not do.

We are a Mac office running a combination of Powerbooks, PowerMac G4s, e-macs, and Ibooks. All running Jaguar or Panther ... will I have any trouble getting these computers to talk to a PC, or vice versa?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) Why do you need a PC?
    2) Have you thought of using VPC?
    3) As long as all the machines either recieve their IPs from a single DHCP server, or are manually entered on the same subnet they should talk together just fine.
    4) To have the PC access the Macs, remember to activate Windows File Sharing in the Networking Pref Pane.

TEG

3. physicsnerd macrumors member

Well, it depends on what you're doing. But for almost everything you'd do in an office Macs and PCs play together very nicely. They can both access the same printers and file servers. I have an XP box and a Tibook (10.3) and I share files and printers between the two all the time. I have my printer shared off of my XP box so that I don't even have to switch cables to print. It's rather nice with airport, I can sit on the couch while working on my Tibook and print to the printer in my study. Let me know if you have an specific tasks in mind besides file sharing and printing.

4. ancdawf thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

1) Some special software, PC only
    2) Part of it runs in DOS, VPC is extremely slow in DOS

I didn't think I would have any trouble. Thanks for replying.

5. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Re: Re:

Not for nothing, you can buy cheapo dells and gateways for under $500, it almost pointless to run VPC in that case if you are using for more than a rare occassion. (for clarification, i run VPC on my powerbook, but its rather tedious to use it day-to-day)