I installed Mac OS 9 on my 5gb iPod an look what happened!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Jan 22, 2003.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well besides the fact that I used my iBook restore CD to install OS 9 on my iPod and the fact that my iPod is now named Macintosh HD, it isnt recondized as a Classic folder, in other words when I go to Sysyem Prefs : Classic it won't find the folder, any help? here is a screen shot...

Go to the link, the image is rather large: http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/ipodprob.jpg

Thanks...

2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I don't know. Maybe that's because that OS9 folder is on a removable media (your iPod)? I'm not sure about this, but maybe the OS9 folder for Classic environment has to be on a fixed media.

Did you try direct-booting from that OS 9 folder? If it does boot with no problem, my guess could be right on.

3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

4. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

try this

boot into the real os9 not classic and let us know what happens

5. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

ok...

Eh...OK I guess but how does this help me use Classic on X?

6. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

just curious

maybe it knows classic is an emulation and not the real thing once it works with os9 it may work with classic just a guess
    peace out

7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Re: ok...

What this does is to make sure the problem is not in that OS 9 system folder or the iPod. If that OS 9 boots on it own, then the problem is in the OS X.

I assume you've installed 9.2.2?

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

surely by now you know the people who come to these forums are by definition of the oxford dictionary, geeks.

so putting os9 on an ipod for fun does not sound wierd to me.

also, he may have gotten a bigger one and thought, hey! i got another use for this.

there are a myriad of resons as i am now sure you are aware. just help him if you can ....

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

from everything i've read, installing an OS on an iPod isn't a good idea-- the drive wasn't meant for heavy reading and writing, and it dramatically shortens the length of the disk life. That said, i've been tempted myself a few times.

Is the system folder blessed? with the little "mac" icon on it? if not, that's probably your problem. it wouldn't surprise me if it unblessed itself every time you disconnected it.

otherwise, not sure what else it could be...

ps. having a great deal of trouble posting this, anyone else notice the server is *always* overloaded anymore?

:)
    pnw

10. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've experienced the same.
    I always though 1) I'm connecting from Japan 2) it must be that maintenance thingy. I guess not?

11. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Lighten up there. I know I didn't make it very clear, but the emphasis was supposed to be on the OS 9 part of it; why 9 instead of X?

As for the issue... You do have to bless it. I don't have an iPod in front of me, but I'd guess teh best way to do this on an iPod would be to boot into 9 on the main computer, drag Finder and System out of the iPod's system Folder, and replace them. Then reboot. There's a terminal-based way of doing it also, use 'man bless' to find it. If the issue is that it gets unblessed each time, write an AppleScript that runs the Terminal script whenever you connect your iPod.

Oh, and using that particular CD probably didn't help matters either. Use a real 9 installation disc if you can. Oh yeah, one other thing: make sure System Folder is in the root directory.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Nope, this server is getting laggy, I guess we are too popular.
    Japan has nothing to do with it, Japan might be Slow but has nothing to do with server.
    2) I doubt the time difference is THAT great.

13. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i was being light. just thoughful thats all. i got to lear to use more smilies :) :) :) :).

lol. no worries. also if he was really smart. he could use it as one of the VPC hacked drives.

you know the ones that OS X thinks are a 9 partition but has finder replaced with VPC for os9.

that would be cool. :)

14. yamadataro macrumors 6502

This whole "blessing" issue is cracking me up :D
    Is it the official word to call that? English is so cool.

I wonder if I can still use the same word even if I'm a friend of Buddha? ;)

15. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

WOW!

i didnt expect so many replies! WOW! Hehehe

Any way the folder is NOT blessed, I wish it was, I didnt attemt to start it up, via startup disk system pref. Since I dont have much music on my iPod (yet) I wanted to put OS 9 on it and possibly Win XP via VPC 6. I use my iPod as a hard drive because my iBook only has a 10gb HD and I have only 5gb left. i want that 5gb to use as a Photoshop scratch disk, I use photoshop everyday and depend on it. I use my iPod to store extra files i might not use all the time or files that I dont really need to use. Will it really kill the iPod's Hard Drive? I hope not....:rolleyes: