Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodknight411

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
Alright, I upgraded to Tiger on my G4 PB last night. I was planning to do a clean install but I didn't. Now iMovie won't work, I get the "You cannot open the application iMovie because it may be damaged or incomplete"
Also, Windows Media Player 'quits unexpectedly after opening'.

WMP was working last week, but I haven't tried to use iMovie in several months.

Is this Tiger? What do I do?

I have apple care on my PB, so should I call?

Thanks,
Jessica :confused:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I think they're just going to tell you to do a clean install, so you mine as well try that yourself after backing upi your data. :(

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
If they are the only two problem apps try re-installing them.
iMovie from the iLife Discs or the Discs that came with the PB, and WMP (which is simply crap anyway) from a download or archived disc image.
Good luck! :)

Claudia

macrumors member
ITASOR said:
I think they're just going to tell you to do a clean install, so you mine as well try that yourself after backing upi your data. :(

I know this sounds really silly, but, how does one exactly do a "clean install"? I will be installing Tiger tomorrow afternoon and would prefer to do this type of installation since everyone here seems to reccomend it. Also, when i do a clean install, will i be able to put iLife from Panther onto Tiger?

Thanks!

Claudia

p.s.

in one week i am going to be a college graduate! GAH! This post script was more for me than anyone :)

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Try reinstalling or downloaded newer versions of the software that is giving you problems. Thats what i had to do and now i don't have anymore problems.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I formatted my Hard drive and did a Clean Install and Have not expiranced 1 problem thus far at all.

I suggest you do the same

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Claudia said:
I know this sounds really silly, but, how does one exactly do a "clean install"? I will be installing Tiger tomorrow afternoon and would prefer to do this type of installation since everyone here seems to reccomend it. Also, when i do a clean install, will i be able to put iLife from Panther onto Tiger?

Thanks!

Claudia

p.s.

in one week i am going to be a college graduate! GAH! This post script was more for me than anyone :)

At one point in the Tiger install there's an option for 'Options' or something. Once you click that a little window comes up where you can check off "Clean Install". As far as iLife...you can use Pacifist (google it) to take any individual programs you may need off of your Panther disks.

Hope that helps!

Claudia

macrumors member
ITASOR said:
At one point in the Tiger install there's an option for 'Options' or something. Once you click that a little window comes up where you can check off "Clean Install". As far as iLife...you can use Pacifist (google it) to take any individual programs you may need off of your Panther disks.

Hope that helps!

Hello!

Thanks for the tip, I've actually encountered a problem. First off, I have two installation disks for Panther, aren't there supposed to be three? Secondly, when I place the Panther install disks into my computer, the only files I can find are the following: "Install Mac OSX & Bundled software" "Read me" and "Install Bundled Software only" I tried installing bundled software only, however, the app i need is Apple Works 6.0, and when i "install bundled software only" Apple Works 6.0 is not one of them. How do I find the .pkg for Apple Works 6.0 on my Panther installation disks, when I can't find any .pkg files? Or am I simply missing a third disk and thats why I cant find the .pkg? I need appleworks so i can write my LAST college paper of my life which is due tomorrow :( Anyway, thank you for all of your help!

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Claudia said:
Hello!

Thanks for the tip, I've actually encountered a problem. First off, I have two installation disks for Panther, aren't there supposed to be three? Secondly, when I place the Panther install disks into my computer, the only files I can find are the following: "Install Mac OSX & Bundled software" "Read me" and "Install Bundled Software only" I tried installing bundled software only, however, the app i need is Apple Works 6.0, and when i "install bundled software only" Apple Works 6.0 is not one of them. How do I find the .pkg for Apple Works 6.0 on my Panther installation disks, when I can't find any .pkg files? Or am I simply missing a third disk and thats why I cant find the .pkg? I need appleworks so i can write my LAST college paper of my life which is due tomorrow :( Anyway, thank you for all of your help!

those are restore disks. do as he said and look for Pacifist (Google it... or if you're lazy... http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) and use that to find appleworks and iLife '04 or whatever version.

Claudia

macrumors member
Update

DXoverDY said:
those are restore disks. do as he said and look for Pacifist (Google it... or if you're lazy... http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) and use that to find appleworks and iLife '04 or whatever version.

hehe sorry if I exhibit dense qualities :) But all I have are the restore disks for Panther and sadly not the complete set (missing the 3rd) I used Pacifist to find the bundles, and now I have three versions of AppleWorks 6.0, Korean, Japanese and International English ROFL. Thank you for ALL of your help and being so patient with me. :p

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Claudia said:
hehe sorry if I exhibit dense qualities :) But all I have are the restore disks for Panther and sadly not the complete set (missing the 3rd) I used Pacifist to find the bundles, and now I have three versions of AppleWorks 6.0, Korean, Japanese and International English ROFL. Thank you for ALL of your help and being so patient with me. :p

i don't think there's 3. i think there's only 2. Only 2 came with my machine anyway, both dvd's.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Claudia said:
Two came with my machine as well (obviously) However, my computer prompted me to put in the 3rd disk, so thats why I believe I am missing one.
This is what's in Disc 3 (nothing you can't do without - you can download QT from Apple, and Epson drivers, if you need them, from Epson):

Attachments

• disc 3 copy.jpg
    disc 3 copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 58

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
skunk said:
This is what's in Disc 3 (nothing you can't do without):

odd, all that is on either disc 1 or disc 2 for me. mine is from a revision C Powerbook... 2 dvd's. arrived May 1st last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.