I joined a gym???

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Mar 14, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OMG, what have I done :p

It's been a long time coming really, I need to get off my ass and do something. But I've always felt very intimidated by it, know what I mean? I'm a fairly lanky guy, so a gym is hardly a place where I fit in! :eek: But I've finally just thought **** it, everyone's got to start somewhere right.

Fitness assessment on Wednesday...oh boy, I can see the trainer keeling over with laughter...*** it :D :p :eek:

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Are you one of those dudes that can't do one chin-up?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What?

Do they have ultrafast web access there or something? :D

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Congrats! It's better to start young and get into the habit of being physically fit then procrastinating until you near middle age and you've become too fat/lazy/compLacient/achey to do anything about it.

no, I'm not speaking from experience.. no.. definitely not overweight and lazy.. no.. no... no.. sooo lazy...

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ha ha ha, no, not *that* bad...but fitness could be a _lot_ better.
    LOL :p Well....maybe ;)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

WOW!!

i know what you mean by being intimidated by it though, thus i prefer to work out on my own

but then again there are times where it is rather difficult to convince myself to even start working out, i Should join a gym so i feel obligated to go work out, but eh i get by with my crunches, pushups and weights

just remember not to try too much too fast because you will end up hurting yourself

7. mpw Guest

I'm one of those guys where the bar comes down to me!

I've been wanting to join a gym for ages but never got round to it. I used to be really fit but now I'd consider the walk there a work-out. My resting heart rate in the last year at school was measured at 39bpm and I could ride up hill in top gear all day. I daren't take my pulse today and would ache if I free-wheeled down. :( :mad:

8. brap macrumors 68000

Dude, don't sweat it (hehe).

I joined one last year, it was very informal, nobody was judgemental in any way and it was actually rather a lot of fun. You'll find there are people there going for all sorts of reasons - triathlon runners who spend hours on the treadmill, obese thirtysomethings wanting to fix their ways (and good on them), pensioners going for a walk on the treadmills... oh yeah, and the super-fit twentysomethings in very, very small sports tops, all sweaty and... anyway! Great fun.

Remember, these guys do it for a living. They've always seen people in much worse shape than you are - and from the pics thread, you don't look like a regular Phil Jupitus... just relax and enjoy it.

That said, I've not been in about 6 months now, due to this and that. Coincidentally, we're going back tomorrow. I've accumulated quite a belly :eek:

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Good luck, edesign!

I can't do one pull-up, but I can run 30 miles at a time without stopping. :D

And I'd trace skinny/lanky for the constant having to watch what I eat metabolism.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

That's awesome - I hope it works out for you. Oh, sorry, that was a bad pun. Is it one of those big chains, or is it more of a neighborhood joint?

In terms of "fitting in" - the gym is a place where you will see a wide variety of people and body styles (some of which you may prefer more than others ;)). You'll fit in fine.

I tried it for awhile, but I always found it hard to get motivated to go to the gym. I finally just bought the weight equipment for my house, and it's really turned out to be a good investment.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I had a crush on this really pretty girl in high school. About 6 years later, when I was working in the gym, I recognized her by her voice. But holy cow!, she gained something like 60-100 lbs! She was basically round. Then I started wondering what happened in her life to cause her to gain so much weight. Was she depressed? Did she have low-self esteem? She was so gregarious and fun in high school.

Well that was a while ago, anyway.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what type of equipment did you get? my sister got a gazelle, which i will look forward to using when she is done with it, my gf has a bowflex which is sweet, i hope to get one of those one day, they are very versitle and exelent for working out

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's a big chain, I'm lucky to have it 5 minutes from my door really - www.bannatyneleisure.com - It's got everything. 3 gyms, a pool, tennis courts, squash courts...course all that just makes it even more intimidating, just getting myself through the door was hard work! :eek:

I'm just preparing myself for a world of pain for a few weeks...:eek:

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Who does edesign think he's fooling? He's doing it incase he sees Keira, so she won't know her #1 fan is all lanky.

15. mpw Guest

How much would the address of Keira's gym be worth?

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hahaha, na....I'm doing it to give me an excuse to get a Shuffle ;) :D

17. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Reasons for joining:
    1. confidence
    2. impress Keira
    3. shuffle
    4. bored on MR :rolleyes:
    5. not quite mid-life crisis

Attached Files:

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

1. Yes
    2. haha, chance would be a fine thing :p
    3. Yeah...I reckon so
    4. [​IMG]
    5. WAY off a mid life crisis thank you! I'm only 21!

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Hence the phrase, "not quite". What, did you think I didn't know how old you are?

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

I thought about getting the Bowflex or something like it, but we made the investment before I felt those were really proven (about 6 years ago). Right now we have:

- Full Olympic weight set
    - Half-cage weight rack, including fly and lat accessories
    - Bench with leg attachment
    - Leg press
    - Treadmill
    - Dumbbells from 5 to 50 pounds
    - Bike trainer (put my road bike on it to ride)
    - Pull-up/dip stand

The advantage in my mind of having the free weights is that my wife and I (or others that want to) can work out at the same time.

Of course, you have to have the "non-essentials", like a TV and stereo. It's nice having it in the basement, since we can work out as time (and kids) permits.

We've rearranged a little since these pics were taken, but this is essentially what it looks like:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

WOW :eek: So The Incredibles was a true story after all.

22. rogerw macrumors 6502

**cking 'ell

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, when I get bored I go out and bench-press the car for variety. :D

Don't let the setup fool ya too much - I'm no muscle-head, I just enjoy being able to workout.

24. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i gym regularly i think its great, helps me clear the mind and concentrate better

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

impressive setup emw, im jealous, i imagine it took awhile to aquire that much stuff though huh?

great, this thread is making me feel inadaquite, i think i might have to go do some lifting now on spring break