I just bought a 14" iBook about a month ago...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shogun37, Aug 29, 2005.

1. shogun37 macrumors newbie

And I was content and enjoying it since it met all my needs and is all in all a very nice laptop. For everything I do, the iBook is perfect and is fast. But most of my mac colleagues bought the 15" Powerbook, and I can't help but feel a little left out. I really love the looks and functionality of the iBook and it does everything I need, but right now I feel like down the road I'll think "damn, I should have waited a bit longer and gotten a powerbook."

For those of you who got the ibook over the powerbook (either the 12" over the 12" or 14" over the 15"), what were your reasons and thoughts?

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Looking for someone to tell you that you made the right choice? Only you know really.

I can't exactly speak from experience, not having bought either an iBook or PB yet. But I'd say the main reason is... $/£.

You can always (well, almost always) buy something better. And someone will always have something better too. Think of it this way: are you the kind to feel a bit sick, knowing in hindsight that you paid too much for something? Yes, you might have the best, but if you use the computer for three years you'll be in a position to buy a new one anyway (whether you had the iBook or PB), so what in fact you have done is saved some moolah. Or, think what accessories you could get for the extra money and theyeby add some more functionality to your computer rather than just raw power.

Resist the urge for the very best! [that's what I keep telling myself anyway, being on the verge of buying an expensive dSLR... :eek: ]

3. jrbsman macrumors member

Lower price means more upgrades

With the new iBooks being released the price point compared to the PBs was just too great. I could get a 14" iBook with more RAM cheaper than a 12" PB. I've been playing with this for the three days I've had it now and used all the iLife programs and even though this computer isn't as fast as the PBs it has seemed snappy and able to do everything I try.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In life you have to make choices. It is always bet to purchase what you can afford. The important thing is that you are enjoying your iBook.

5. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

O Wise One! :D

That's what comes with being 1st contributor I guess... :p

6. abates25 macrumors member

iBook vs. PB

This has been an issue which has been open to debate since the Mhz gap between the two closed as dramatically as it did. Why pay more for the PB, when the iBook can do almost as much?

Unless you are planning on doing intensive mobile video editing, or hooking up a second monitor, or truly feel like showing off that you can afford it, you should not need the PB. The 14" iBook, with 1GB RAM and a superdrive, does everything a good laptop should, for hundreds less than a PB. Plus, it has stronger hinges at the display/cpu junction which makes it a safer machine to be a little brutal with.

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I kno exactly what you mean. I had a 12'' ibook i bought in last december...i loved it..but always had the same thought of you. Well i just purchased a powerbook yesturday, and i think my obsessive compulsive disorder got worse :p ...but the thing is that I NEEDED THE UPGRADE. i didnt have blue tooth b4, only had 30gb hd, and no super drive. but i needed the upgrades...just wait AND IF YOU WANT TO, just sell the 14''. macs hold their value, and i got good money for mine after it being 8 months old...

8. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

This exact thing has happened to me!

I think you just have to get on with it, and say to yourself, "heck, when somthing better comes along, at the price point I paid, I can afford to upgrade" <-- thats what comes in useful for me at least!

Also, the actual technical diff between the ibooks and the Powerbooks just isn't that great at the moment - maybe when they have single/dual configurations in a year or so, the wise choice may be to go with the Powerbook, but here and now to me, it makes sense to save a little - especially if you're a student like me!

9. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

At first I was thinking the gap between the iBook 14" and Pb 15" was enough to warrant the price difference. But then I realized, $600 is a LOT of money. For a student like me, there's no sense in needlessly spending that much more for features that I will hardly or never use. And the gap between them isn't that great, as others have said before.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I already have a Powermac. My decision was easy-iBook. Didn't need a PowerBook and won't ever buy one (unless they make them out of titanium again-then I'd be tempted. :) )

11. leachy macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma. I'm in the process of switching and could afford the 15" PB but felt that it was overproced for the feature set when compared with the iBook. In the end I decided to get an iBook 14" and a Mac Mini.

Both should arrive tomorrow and I can't wait!