I just bought a PC.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Jul 27, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I just gave money to the Microsoft Industrial Complex.

Damned Macs won't run navigational software for crap in VPC.

Today is a sad day. A Dell, no less.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Put a Mac OS X skin on that thing, and then I can say "Welcome to iHell." ;)

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You're not going to put that on your beautiful new desk with that Power Mac and the dual displays, are you? Surely, you have a closet somewhere you can hide it away in?

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, this thing is going on the floor in the corner.

No, can't use just a GPS - I'd bore you with the explanation why. ;)

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sounds like the same issues i have with the GIS software where i work.. it would be the only reason i have a PC.. VPC works great for everything else

Ed

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea, i'm kinda in the same boat with my dad. He needs a computer to get on the internet with... that's it, and he wants the cheapest thing possible. Well, I'm trying my best to switch him to the mac mini... I'm even letting him borrow my iMac to get him used to the OS.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Welcome to my reason why I haven't purchased a PowerBook in the last 2 years. MS Streets and Trips is godlike and MapPoint has features no other app on the Mac does. I think mapping\GPS software is one of the biggest weak point of the Mac's software library. *waits patiently for a Pentium M PowerBook that will dual boot.* :D

Don't know how much expierence you have with windows but one tip. Reinstall the OS from the provided CD. Seriously. Do NOT stick with the default OS that came with the system. Dell adds all kinds of other crap to the system that makes it unstable.

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Have you taken him to an Apple store yet? Seriously its the best method of getting someone to buy a Mac.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah well I do all my CAD work on a Windows PC. It's not that bad. Just makes me miss my TiBook. At least I can still keep my iTunes collection on my work computer. My co-workers love being able to listen to my library in their own offices.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Sorry iGary. We all know how much you love your style. How much did you spend on it?

12. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Don't you have a basement? You could just wired the computer from there to your desk :(

13. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I second that recommendation....

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

15. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Damn. I thought Gary would take bamboo shoots to the fingernails before buying a Dell. :eek:

16. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

threads like these make me sad i hate it when some one has to use windows for one reason or another :(

17. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I had to do the same thing last week. I went out and bought a compaq laptop to finish up my M.S. what a sad day it was. at least i can some widgets via konfabulator, which is now free!

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

iGary's bought a PC?! I can only think that the medication for his poorly back has made him go a bit woosy and confused – it's the only explanation... ;)

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OK, technically, the people I work for bought a PC for me to use. I bought it, but they are reimbursing me for it, it's not mine.

It was 2500 bucks - they wanted a back up machine that can do the Photoshop and other work I'm doing if the G5 goes down. 20" widescreen, 2gb RAM, 3.20 P4, 250GB HDD...decent machine.

It lives on the floor, though, when it comes. ;)

20. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Really how many Mac users don't have a PC? It's unfortunate that iGary had to get one (and more unfortunate it's a Dell), but pretty much everyone I've talked to on here has one. I'll admit that I (sorta) have a Shuttle SS40G (it's on loan to my dad right now), but I don't actually use it anymore.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats pretty much says it, after decades of only Macs i bought my first PC this past year. Id rather use a Mac but for somethings they just dont cut it. I think Apple is on the right path to changing this. Bring on the Intel Macs and the sooner the better. I really didnt want a Alienware but Apple forced it on me. Its very solid hardware. But it aint Mac OS thats for sure.

22. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

That's a good one! A Windows box to be there if your Mac goes down :D You won't be using it much if that's the case - except for your navigational software ;)

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well I am getting good enough with my Photoshop actions that I can also set it up to do work while I'm doing work on the G5, but honestly, all I really need it for is the nav software.

My dad came over last night and said my office looks like mission control.
    :rolleyes: :D

I pointed out that the ugly PC is under the desk.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So iGary, you may wanna upgrade that ol' signature then. :D

I've got a PC stashed away somewhere and I can honestly say I don't regret getting it. I like having a dabble in XP every now and then, if only to remember why I use OSX. ;)

As for working with two machines on different operating systems at the same time, go iGary! That's impressive. :)

25. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm freaking lost with Windows - not trying to start a flame war (OS X vs Winblows), but man, Windows is so counter-intuitive. I look like a fool trying to use it. Of Course, I've been known to look like a fool trying to use OS X, too.

And hell, no that Dell POS ain't going in my sig. ;)