I just bought a Sony DCR-SR82...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by echeck, Mar 13, 2007.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

...and when I dump the video files to my computer and try to play them using quicktime, I get video but no audio. I have QuickTimeMPEG2.component in my system library, which I thought would allow me to view mpeg2 files, but apparently not.

What plugin do I need to view the files in quicktime and subsequently in iMovie? Would it work if I purchased the MPEG2 Playback component from the Apple Store?

I realize there are other applications out there that I could use to encode the files, but I would rather just be able to drop them straight in to iMovie instead of having to encode them first.

Thanks in advance!

:D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Pretty sure you have to transcode them. If you do a search for "MPEG2" or "MiniDVD" or "HDD camera" you'll find a plethora of threads describing how to get something usable out of the camera's MPEG2 files.

Lethal

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

So solly but .mpeg 2 is incompatible with iMovie. The .avi files need to be converted to a quicktime friendly format. http://www.squared5.com/

4. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

I did search and went through about 15 threads, but I didn't get an answer to my specific question. My question was if the QuickTime mpeg2 playback component would allow me to use the video straight in QuickTime without having to encode it first.

Thanks for calling me a fool for buying something, I really appreciate it. If you don't have anything to say about my question, please just keep your mouth shut.

This camera is perfect for what I need/want. I've had a miniDV camera for years and I'm tired of dealing with storage media, and this was the best all-around featured HDD camera that I looked at in the $600 price range.

Now, can anyone here actually help me or will you all just have sarcastic remarks?

:rolleyes:

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Nuff said. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42996

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

7. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

I already have a multitude of programs that I can encode the video on, but thanks for the sarcasm.

My apologies if I come across ultra sensitive, I just don't appreciate it when I ask a question and get mostly nothing but people making sarcastic remarks and insinuating that I'm a fool.

Gymnut, thank you for actually answering my question.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Not a problem. From what I understand Final Cut Express is in the same boat as iMovie regarding the handling of .mpeg 2 files. I'm not all too sure with FCP but then again I'm not sure how keen you are to purchasing a $1300 suite just to import one particularly stubborn codec. :)

9. tilman macrumors regular

Since you already have the QuickTime MPEG-2 plugin, you can just download MPEG Streamclip, and convert your MPEG-2 files to DV format. Then use iMovie to edit.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No sarcasm intended. My last post was meant to be a light hearted "hey, good news is you already found posts telling you how to convert your footage."

Completely understandable and unless you are in the market for an HC7 feel free to ignore MM.

None of Apple's apps handle MPEG2 like that natively.

Lethal

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

You will not be able to edit mpeg2 without transcoding it to something else. It you want to use iMovie then the video needs to be in DV format.

mpeg2 is not a good format for editing because it uses keyframe and difference frames. So if a cut is made that does not fall right on a keyframe, a new keyframe must be creatred. Cutting mpeg2 results in generational loss.

That said. So many consumers are buying these cheap cameras that I'll bet the next version of iMovie will try and solve this problem by making it easy to transcode the video to some editable format, or even hide the fact that transcoding it even being done from the user.

12. reelestate macrumors newbie

New to this forum.

I too just bought the same camera. I am looking for inexpensive software to allow my dual 1.8 desktop to process the video.

I read in other forums, though, that since you have dual 2.0 processors, iMovie 8 will load on your computer, and read these files.

Wish I could do that for $79 bucks.

Hope I didn't miss something.

BAD