I just bought... (a thread of excitement)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterapple04, Aug 17, 2005.

1. masterapple04 macrumors regular

I just bought a Mac mini and 20" Apple Cinema Display, and I have to say that I am without doubt the happiest person on these forums. The screen is absolutely ****ing gorgeous, and the mini is the Porshe to my PowerBook's Pinto. Anyway, I just made this to celebrate, and recommend both of these Apple beauties to anyone considering them! :cool:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice stuff. I hope it all works well. :)

How does the mini cope with such a large display by the way? I'm guessing it handles everything very well, right?

3. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

It handles just fine. Apple has them hooked together in all of their retail stores, and some even have a 23" :eek:

It'd be nice to have a better graphics card, but this one does what I want it to. :cool:

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very excited for you also masterapple04. ;) That is a very nice setup. Did you purchase AppleCare and extra RAM?

5. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

cheap mac + friggen' expensive monitor.. hrm, just like steve showed in the keynote.. :cool:

6. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

I did indeed go with a gig of RAM and Applecare. After that, the mini and the display were about the same price, give or take a Benjamin.

I know it seems an odd combo, but the ACD will be good for (I'm hoping) at least 5-6 years. :cool:

7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

That is a really nice setup. I understand why you went the way you did. You now have a great display for if you decide to get a powermac down the road. Also, if you have a powerbook G4 with DVI you can utilize the monitor for that as well. Very cool setup!

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

If you get a KVM switch down the road, get an iFlip, it sits neatly under the mini, and has touch sesitive buttons on the front of it. :)

What I would suggest to get, is a firewire/USB hub -> this one by belkin http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/758554302 Which sits neatly and gives you heaps more ports. :) Although it's not a powered hub.

10. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually looked at that hub in recent days, but unfortunately the lion's share of my money went on what I've already got, so I'll stick it out with the hub in the display for now. :cool:

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you never owned a LCD before, then yeah, your first LCD purchase opens your eyes to what you've been missing for a long time.

Just keep that piggybank nearby, you'll need it again when you upgrade to a 30". :rolleyes:

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was thinking the same, either way, very nice!

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, please post some pic(s).
    We love looking at photos of Macs. :D

15. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

I will as soon as I find batteries for my cam... :cool:

Edit: Hooray for AA's! The speakers are cheap Altec Lansing's from WalMart, but the iPod is a 30GB 3G! Palm m130 in the back right, as well as Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard. The desktop is from Vista (I know, I know... :eek: ).

Attached Files:

16. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very nice setup masterapple04.
    I love the ACD- so awesome looking! :D
    Congrats on your new system.