I just bought and iMac and iBook!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prostuff1, Aug 17, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Wow, what a rush :)

I just bought a stock iBook (ordered 1GB stick of ram from newegg) and i stock iMac G5 with SD. I can't wait for these thing to get here.

The only downside is that i have to pay the parents back and...well...i will be broke after this purchase.

But hey, i have two brand new Apple computers coming. Can't wait!!!

*continues to check every 15 min to see if they have shipped*

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thats going to be a sweet setup, congratulations.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

congrats, sounds like an awesome set up (well, when you get it). :)

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

L U C K Y.
    Jeesh, I've always wanted the iBook I have now + an iMac G5, when that comes [in my dreams!]everyone wills ing Alleuhia (sp? lol)

Because I have to have ALL the money upfront + tax + shipping :(

Parents : Rich
    Parents : Cheap :(
    Me : have to buy all my comptuers :( :( :(

5. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Well, i would not call my parents rich but we are more fortunant then some.

i DO have to pay for these computers. I have the money but it is in a savings account and i could not get to it with my debit card. So mom and adda payed up front and then i pay then back.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have the same set up and I love it. The best combination of Macs possible in 2005 IMO. :)

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

8. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

What brand of ram?

Congratulatioins on your cool purchase.

I was wondering which brand of ram you purchased from newegg.com - I was just looking at them today and found they have a nice deal on Crucial ram for $120 - it looks to be the same ram (product number) that is sold in the Crucial online store but newegg sells for much less.

Just wondering if it was the same exact ram that they sell at newegg. I have heard they are a good company to buy from

Good luck with your new systems!

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Me: Not Rich (you never feel rich even if you're earning a six figure salary - it has to have another figure for that.)
    Me: Cheap

My daughters aren't old enough for a computer yet, but in future if they ask for a Mac I will buy them one, but they'll have to make some contribution - even if it's mowing the lawn for a year.

When I was dependent on my parents, I had to buy my own first computer, a Sinclair Spectrum ... £130 ... from the proceeds of a summer job laying flagstones.

10. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yeah i saw the Crucial stuff and that should work well. I ended up buying the KingMax Ram. I read some of the reviews and people seemed to like it and it worked in there machines.

The crucial should be good though they make good quality stuff.

11. lopresmb macrumors 6502

sounds awesome, have fun paying that one off....

12. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It shold be really cool when i get them.

I worked two summers to pay for this so i actually have all the money. Tha tparents footed the bill with the CC and i have to pay them back, but i have all the money

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Do you get allowance?

14. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

NO!!

My dad does not believe in allowance, which really does not bother me all that much. I hate to hear stories of kids getting allowance and they do basically nothing around the house. I also don't get any reward for good grades, except maybe dinner at oliver garden or something.

I have worked for almost all the money i have (some came from graduation, but most i earned).

I am almost always doing something. Usually i am up at work, at church (active in church youth group), or doing chores around the house.

I am by no means spoiled.

15. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

That's an awesome combination. I used to have the exact combo, but I sold them to get a 15" PB. Congrats to you!!!

16. ghostee macrumors 6502

Congrats on your purchase! I have the same setup and it is very nice. If I may suggest a piece of software, I highly recommending downloading Synergy (Link). It lets you share your keyboard and mouse via software, allowing the iBook to be controlled by the iMacs keyboard/mouse.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My turn to shine w/ glee!

I just ordered a 12" 1.33GHz iBook w/ 60GB HD and a teal 4GB mini iPod! Woo hoo! Too bad my sister will probably snag the iPod. :( Yay for the iBook! When it comes, it will be my iMac G5's close companion. :D :cool:

18. MacVM macrumors member

Yay! That's wonderful! So you were able to sell your pb then? Why is your sister stealing your ipod? Do whatever you have to do to keep that heifer away from your free and lovely music machine! :D

19. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I ordered an iBook + another 512mb stick from Crucial UK! Can't wait for it to come.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, she went into an Apple store and decided she likes the look/feel of the PB more than the iBook... so she gets my PB and I get technically "shafted" by getting the iBook but I wouldn't mind too much (I did pay for it myself, so about $1500) but this laptop would become her primary computer and I can't really complain because my primary is my gorgeous iMac which my parents got me... soooo.

The iPod thing irritates me a bit because she has a shuffle, so I don't get why she gets the mini iPod. Sigh. I offered that I would take whichever iPod she doesn't want but she hinted that she wants both!!! :eek: :(

Congrats to you, too, SpaceMagic! Hee. I feel so excited. I'm such a dweeb.

21. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Awesome set-up! I love my iMac, it's my baby. ;)

22. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Wel, i got my computers today!! It only took 4 days, including sunday, for them to get here. I was really surprised seeing as i only had the standard shipping, which is supposed to be 5 days.

I got the iBook out first and everything when fine with that. Got all my stuff input and it is up an running. I need to connect it to the internet to do some updates but that is about it.

The iMac on the other hand came to me a little "weird" I started it up and got to the screen to select the language and when i did i got the beach ball. It stayed like that for about 45 min. and then i turned it of to restart. When i started it back up i got the blinking ? and i tryed eveything to get it to work, short of reinstalling the OS. I called apple (and they were very nice) and they made me do everything over again and then i was told to just reinstall the OS. So i did and everything seems to be working fine now. I am going to keep an eye on it but i don't think i have anything to worry about.

Well, thats all for my tale. This was a great day and a lot of fun. Now i am glad because i have tomorrow off of work and i get to mess with my new toys.

23. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Congrats! Ive heard some good things about the iMac. iBook's are awesome too!

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm glad it all worked eventually. You probably (and hopefully) just got a corrupt factory install of Tiger. It's surprisingly common. :)

25. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Well, it has been a coupel of days now and since reinstalling the OS everything is fine. The iMac is up and running great. i have 1GB of ram in the iMac and 1.5GB in the 12in iBook. Both computers are running great.

I have a wireless connection setup in my house and it is so cool to wonder around the house with the book and still surf the internet. After some fighting and a couple calls to netgear i had the wireless up and running. And the router works really well. I can get enough of a signal to go out to about the road, and the router is in the basement.