I just bought my 23rd iPod...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chiggs, Jan 4, 2007.

1. macrumors member

It's true... I was chatting to some friends the other day about the upcoming Macworld. When I mentioned that I was hopeful for updated iPods, one of my friends asked me (somewhat as a joke) how many iPods I had purchased over the years. I counted them up and it was 23 !!

I posted this to the other Apple forum site that I frequent and got such a good response that I decided to share my story here too.

Here's my list of 23 iPod purchases. If you're interested in the full backstory, you can check out my story here:

http://torants.blogspot.com/2007/01/cupertino-i-may-have-problem-pre.html

Anyway - here's the list...

1. December 2001 – My 1st!! – the Original White 5 Gig iPod
    2. April 2002 – Sold my Original (I still regret selling it) and purchased the White 10 Gig iPod
    3. August 2002 – Sold my 10 Gig and picked up the White 20 Gig
    4. April 2003 – Upgraded my 20 Gig to the new White 20 Gig with solid state scroll wheel and four buttons
    5. September 2003 – Upgraded from the 20 Gig to the White 40 Gig with solid-state scroll wheel and four buttons. This iPod still holds a special place in my heart as it represented the first time I was able to have all of my music on my iPod. At the time, I had about 32 Gigs of music.
    6. February 2004 – Purchased a Green 4 Gig iPod Mini as a gift for my wife. Due to huge demand in the US, the mini was not available to be ordered in Canada yet. I purchased this iPod on E-Bay and had it shipped to a friends address in Boston and then had my friend ship it up to me.
    7. April 2004 – Bought my 1st iPod Mini for myself. I ordered a Pink one online from the Apple Store. I got an E-Mail telling me that it would ship in 1-2 weeks (see below.)
    8. March 2004 – I was in my local Best Buy and saw that they had a Pink Mini in stock. I bought it and rushed home to cancel my online order. Just my luck – Apple had shipped it early. I ended up selling the one that Apple shipped to me (still sealed) to a friend who was looking to buy one.
    9. July 2004 – Upgraded to the white 40 Gig with Click Wheel
    10. December 2004 – Upgraded to the White 60 Gig iPod Photo. This was my most expensive iPod purchase ever at $749 Canadian. I almost skipped this one but decided to treat myself after receiving a pretty sweet bonus that year.
    11. January 2005 – Purchased the 512 Meg Shuffle (just because!!)
    12. February 2005 – Upgraded my Mini to the new 6 Gig version
    13. September 2005 – Upgraded from my mini to the new Nano (the 4 Gig version in White)
    14. October 2005 – Upgraded to the White 60 Gig iPod with Video
    15. April 2006 – Bought a Black 30 Gig iPod with Video as a gift for my wife
    16. June 2006 – Bought a 1 Gig White Nano for my father-in-law as a Birthday gift
    17. July 2006 – Bought a 1 Gig White Nano for myself. (I was convinced that new Nano would be announced in the June timeframe so I had recently sold my 4 Gig version. When Apple and Nike came out with the Nike+ system though, I had to pick up a small Nano just so I could use their new running system until the new line of Nanos arrived.)
    18. September 2006 – Upgraded to the Black 80 Gig iPod Video
    19. September 2006 – Upgraded to the new 2nd Generation Nano (a 4 Gig Pink one)
    20. October, 2006 – I decided that the new Product Red Nano was much cooler than my Pink one so I upgraded to the 4 Gig Red Nano.
    21. December 2006 – Bought a White 30 Gig iPod with Video as a Christmas gift for my parents
    22. December 2006 – I purchased a 1 Gig 2nd Generation Shuffle for a local United Way Charity Silent Auction. (It sold for more than I paid for it!)
    23. December 2006 – I decided to purchase the new 1 Gig 2nd Generation for myself too.

How many iPods have you bought over the years?

2. macrumors 68000

Xander562

My God, have you considered seeking professional help? in the same time that i've owned only 2 iPods you've owned 14!

3. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I bought the 5gig first gen model for $500.

I kept that until the shuffles came out I believe. I sold that and got a 1 gig shuffle.

Earlier last year I think is when I got a 30 gig iPod Video.

Sadly I have rarely used any of them.

4. macrumors 65816

ero87

5. macrumors newbie

I have got to second that. UNICEF is also a fantastic place to send money!

Donate to UNICEF

6. macrumors 603

zelmo

Impressive. Makes me wonder how many iPods I've purchased over the past few years...

10GB 3G for Daughter, Xmas 2003
    20GB 4G for me, July 2004
    4GB Pink mini for wife, Xmas 2004
    20GB U2 for daughter, early 2005 [replacement for dead one]
    60GB iPod w/color for me, Father's Day 2005 [gave my old one to daughter after hers was stolen from her car]
    512MB Shuffle for me, Father's Day 2005
    1GB Shuffle for me, July 2005 [ price break on 60GB when Photo was dropped generated a $50 credit burning a hole in pocket - gave 512 to wife to justify purchase of 1GB for me]
    60GB 5G Black iPod for daughter, HS Graduation 2006

Gaah! we're rank amateurs.:D

7. macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've purchased 3:

1st gen 5GB model for myself
    1st gen 1GB Shuffle for myself
    2nd gen Shuffle for my wife

That's plenty :)

8. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And I thought that three iPods were excessive.

9. macrumors 68040

MattG

Well...can't say I've owned as many as you, but I've been through several, enough so I can't recall which models I've owned. It's got to be something like 5 now, and it's not because the old ones broke or anything. Every iPod I've owned has functioned exquisitely -- I just like getting new stuff :)

I have to say though, I've been good lately. The iPod I've got now has lasted me the longest out of all the ones I've owned yet. It's a 60gb Photo, and I bought it back in 3/05. I'm thinking the Keynote next week might cause me to retire it, though :)

10. macrumors member

dang! :eek:

my count is a measly 3: iPod mini, video iPod, iPod nano.... and a free shuffle :p

11. thread starter macrumors member

Charity

Great responses so far...

To those who have suggested that I put my money to better use, please consider that I sell each revision of the iPod as the new one comes out. I'm not rich but I make decent money and this has become a hobby of mine. I've also started working out a lot more since I've had my iPods and can listen to them at the gym. (I know I could listen to music in other ways but the iPod is just so light and for some reason, it makes me want to work out more.) I've dropped almost 15 pounds over the past 5 years... Discounting what I get from selling my older iPods, I figure it's cost me an average of $10 per week so far to indulge my habit :)

By way of charity donations, rest assured I give generously. Mostly it's to my local United Way but as an avid Sports Illustrated reader, I recently became a fan of Rick Reilly's "Nothing But Nets" Charity...

http://www.nothingbutnets.net/

12. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

the thread title leads people to believe the OP has bought 23 ipods all for himself.

Either keeping all of them or selling a few to pay for newer ones.

when in fact, he has only purchased 23 ipods, but not all for himself, some are/were gifts to others. i guess the OP just has a narrow gift giving spririt! ;)

too bad, id rather you bought all 23, kept all 23 and were hoarding them like some sort of bridge troll!

13. macrumors 604

gkarris

3 so far:

1. Bought an original iPod new in box on eBay as person had won it and just wanted to get rid of it. The 2nd generations were already out at the time.

2. Bought a 3rd gen 10 Gig refurbished.

3. Bought a 5th gen 60 Gig new but it was discounted.

4. Eagearly awaiting the official Video iPod...

Did try a couple of other mp3 players, one of those cheap 256 Meg models - crap, bought one of those Sandisk 2 Gig models, but the sound quality is crap. Going to stick with Apple from here on out.

14. macrumors 68040

ghall

Let's see, my list contains:

1. 4G B&W 20GB iPod - My first iPod EVER!!!
    2. iPod nano - to my mom
    3. iPod mini - free with PowerBook, so that doesn't really count, gave to my grandmother, I think she lost it
    4. video iPod - bought it with my christmas money

That equals a grand total of 4 iPods that I have bought with money out of my own pocket.

Edit: strangely enough, besides the ones at the Apple Store, those are the only iPods I have ever touched.

15. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

And my friends think i'm weird for having four iPods :p

February 2005:
    6GB mini blue (sold to my dad)

November 2005:
    30GB 5G black (plagued with iTunes error -48 :mad: )

August 2006:
    1GB shuffle white (1 month before the new shuffle :eek:)

October 2006:
    8GB nano black

At the moment I want a 2G shuffle and a 3rd generation iPod. Does anyone know if the 10, 15 and 20GB 3Gs are the same thickness? I definetely want the thinnest one, but i would get a 15 or 20GB one if they are no thicker.

16. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I have Two 5gb First generations. One in mint condition and the other is still BRAND NEW AND SEALED IN THE BOX!!

I wonder how much this is worth? Im a huge iPod fan so it is a greeeeeatttt addition to my collection.

I also have a...
    Mint 10gb 3rd generation
    20gb B&W 4th generation (w/ my name engraved)
    1gb 1st generation iPod nano for running
    512mb 1st generation shuffle
    1gb 2nd generation shuffle
    30gb 5th generation Video for everything

Yes, I have all eight still!

17. macrumors regular

A measly 1 (Ipod Mini 2gen 4gb) but in 7 days will be 2 ipods so i am catching up woth all you big spenders :p lol

18. Retired

psychofreak

3G 15GB only

I hope to get the highest capacity next gen iPod.

19. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    One refurbished 2G 20 Gig in early 2003 right after the 3G models were released. Sadly, it's finally dying on me (the headphone jack is coming loose internally). Waiting to see if a 16GB nano is released...

Two if you count the 1 Gig Shuffle Apple sent me last year in return for having my time wasted, being demeaned, and dealing with idiots at the Emeryville Apple Store last year...

20. macrumors member

I have a small business, and for an end-of-year gift last month bought each employee (and myself) a Product Red 4 gig Nano, each engraved with the name of the recipient. Total of 7 of these babies. It's a great little toy and everyone loves it.

21. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

How much total have you spent on ipods?

I have bought two:
    1st gen 4 GB nano (for me)
    2nd gen 1 GB Shuffle (for my mom)

22. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just bought my 4th (a refurbished 1st Gen 2GB nano) and my friends think I'm crazy. I can't imagine 23!

23. macrumors 6502

Blimey, my wife thinks I'm excessive as I'm on my third, all white...

First was a 20GB black and white screen model in May 2004 - 449EUR
    Second a 60GB photo 4th Gen May 2005 - 499EUR (final model with the dock station included)
    July 2006 Now a 60GB video bought in NYC Times square - $449 (or was it $399??)

The latest model I finally got around to fitting a protective cover - EVOII iSkin

Reason for the upgrade of the 60GB to the newer 60GB model was that I was getting the dreaded "piano whooshing" distortion problem caused by the impedance of the B&0 earphones I bought. I nearly worked a deal to get an 80GB model by selling my existing one in Europe and buying in The States but it didn't work out. I have 120GB of music on the iMac so it's still too small :mad:

In each case I've sold the previous model to a work colleage for half the new price.

I use it on average for 4 - 5 hours a day in the office. As a music lover, the iPod is one of the best gadgets of all time for me.

24. macrumors 604

gkarris

Keep it - it's going to take a while though before it becomes a collector's item... say 5 years...

25. macrumors 68020

phungy

Wow!!

I've owned 3 but all 3 were purchased for me as gifts. I rarely use it too. :(