I just bought my first ever MAC, I'm so excited!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nylon, May 6, 2005.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

So I finally took the plunge and bought a Mac. I bought the 17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5. Essentially I bought this for my mum but I know I'm going to be using it a lot especially for Photo and video stuff (instead of my Dell Dimension 8400). I got it for C$1475 through the education store for the University of Toronto. I also used a $40 off coupon that I got in my inbox from Apple bringing the price down to $1435.

I've been hanging around these forums for a while probing and asking questions so that I am confident in my decision, and finally I have decided to take the plunge. The computer will be wirelessly networked with two other PC's in the house with through my Belkin Pre-N router. (I hope to God that it is compatible).

I've never been this excited over purchasing a computer before. I'm also going to the Apple headquarters here in Toronto for a Tiger Seminar on Tuesday. Hopefully they will be handing out % off coupons at the seminar. (Cross my fingers)

So, I'd like to say thank you to everyone in these forums for there help and I guess I will be joining you more often as I become more familiar with the Mac.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ah, it seems like yesterday that I had the same excitement! Wait, it was! I ordered Tiger and received it today!

And I was just as excited as you are when I ordered my iBook last August! You'll never look back.

And Tiger rocks!

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Welcome to the Good Ship Lollipop!

For your mom, you say... We'll see about that. ;)

6. syff macrumors newbie

I just ordered my first mac today as well!

Hopefully I can go pick it up sometime next week. I can't really wait that long, but I've heard consuming some beer while waiting makes the time run faster, so I'm soon off to buy a ******** amount of beer.

I went for the high-end iMac (2GHz, 20") and ordered the wireless mouse and keyboard as well. And AppleCare. I'm so excited!

7. adam1185 macrumors regular

How'd the $40 coupon work for you in the education store?? I tried one for my iMac but it said they aren't valid for education purchases.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Welcome! Both you and your mum will be happy. :)

9. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I placed the order over the phone, not online. I just said that I had received a $40 coupon and the rep asked me for the Code, and that was that. No questions asked.

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Congratulations you bought a very nice machine ;)

11. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

I did the same, I took the plunge.

Bought an 20" iMac rev B today and its already prepping to ship. Tonight I received an Apple Order Acknowledgement (that after a confirmation, confusing for a moment) and I thought it was a shipping acknowledgement, unfortunately I was excited for nothing.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Congrats - I switched ~6 mos ago and have never regretted it; I'm sure you're going to have great fun.

Strangely enough, it is interesting that one could get excited about a computer, but Macs tend to do that, I guess!

Congrats and know you'll have great fun (and your mom, too!).

Frank

14. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Yea. All of the Windows desktop machines that I have are ones that I built myself. However, I do not remember getting as excited over the wait for my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop as I have been for the past week waiting on the Power Mac G5 to get here. It is going to be a lot of fun. :)

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Congratulations and welcome to the forums!

After a short time with your new Mac you'll wonder why you didn't switch ages ago... ;)

16. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

Well that I can answer for ya. I really couldn't stand Mac OS 8 & 9. I used it at school all the time and the amount of times were the computer was turtle slow or I would get this nasty "bomb" with an unexpected error message was just too often.

However then I had a friend who had a new Powermac G4 with a LCD screen in 2002. He showed OS 9 and I still didn't like it but he also showed me 10.1. He didn't like it that much saying it doesn't run anything blah blah blah blah. I haven't talked to him in years but I bet his opinion is different. My big reason for switching is the operating system, something I hated years ago and something I love now.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

18. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Congrats! Mac's ROCK but the icing on the cake is OS X :D

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations, kkapoor. I'm sure you and your iMac will be very happy together!

Are you going to get an iPod too, or do you already have one?

20. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

So I finally go my Mac and I love it. Unfortunately the front fanel was chipped behind the acrylic, so it is going back for a replacement. Damn, now I got to wait for another week.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ugh - having to trade it, and more waiting. What a pain!

You are certainly more enthusiastic and forgiving than some people.