Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
just ordered a 17inch Imac with 2gb of ram and 2.0ghz core2duo processor.

just wanted to ask what software should i get to improve my mac experience.
also i would like to hear from 17inch mac owners, with all the talk about the 24 inch model the 17inch sounds tiny, so is it really as small as people are making it out to be

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Microsoft Office 2004 or iWork '06 - both good, but iWork is nicer and cheaper.
VLC Media Player - for playing .avi, DivX and XVid files.
aMSN - for video conferencing over MSN.
Flip4Mac - to play WMV/WMA content in Quicktime.
The QT Full Screen widget - to go fullscreen without Quicktime Pro.

No, the 17" is a reallt nice standard screen. The 20" is gigantic, and 24" is exceeding anything you can imagine. Trust me, when you see the 17" in real life, you'll find it a very nice size. It's just because the 24" looks 3 times larger than the 17" on Apple's site.;)

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
congrats on the purchase and i think you would be better off with office...I think iwork needs a few more issues to be ironed out . I do like keynote alot better than powerpoint and i think entourage is ass. Then again they could have made excel to be more like the functionality of excel on pc

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Here are a few suggestions.

Quicksilver is a free application launcher, among other things. I don't know how i'd get around my mac without it.

Many users prefer Adium for their instant messaging, although I prefer iChat augmented with Chax personally. It's a matter of preference.

Google Earth is buckets of fun of you haven't tried it already.

Superduper makes backups painless. Whatsize is also good for measuring what's taking up all the space on your HD.

Many many other great applications out there. Just browse the forums or go to Apple's site for a look at some other cool apps.

Have fun :)

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Erendiox said:
Google Earth is buckets of fun of you haven't tried it already.

Have fun :)

I can't remeber google earth's system requirement but you maybe pushing your luckwith g4 550 and the video card that is in the tibook

Ignore this comment

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Congrats and welcome.

Tip #1: check out the guides. they are lengthy but very useful.

Tip #2: use the search feature in the forum section. no matter how odd the question, some has likely asked it before.

Tip #3: browse through the forums and checkout the 'stickys' as they cover some of the things that are really neat but too small to make a guide just for it.

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
thanks for all the help, seems to me like the mac community is very freindly and helpful. thanks again

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
bouncy.gif
Congratulations!
bouncy.gif

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Congrats on the purchase of your first Mac.

It would be helpful if you discussed to some extent what you plan on using your Mac for. We'd then be able to provide better feedback.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
are you kidding

manutd said:
thanks for all the help, seems to me like the mac community is very freindly and helpful. thanks again

we are the BEST !

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
i will be using my mac for general use and for using C++ and C# , anyone know any good tools for C++ and C# on the mac.

Also i do need some time to relax so some fun software will be good. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.