I Just Bought The Gameboy Advance Micro LE...

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Jan 9, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

and the thing is freakin sweet. The pictures don't do it justice. It's so small and shiny, real shiny, a nice shiny. The little start and select buttons light up also. This was really a splurge buy since I already have a DS, SP and Gameboy Player. It's so cool.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

congrats. glad to hear someone can splurge.;)

Bless

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

It's a shame you can't play your back-catalog of GB and GBC games. Makes it rather pointless to a lot of people. I still think the SP dominates it, other than the lack of a headphones jack.

I wish they'd save a redesign for the systems that need it badly (DS).

In the meantime, I wait patiently for the next real Gameboy.

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, I hope they redesign the DS.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Is the DS really that bad? The games seem very playable imo.

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

There's nothin wrong functionality wise. I'm just sayin it could use a aesthetic upgrade. The design now isn't that bad, but nuthin' spectacular either. I don't really see any other way of makin the DS, since it has those 2 screens. Maybe a sleeker design would be nice.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Or, maybe a design that doesn't jam into the corners of my god damned palms...

That system is so painful to play on for more than twenty minutes (and yet, I do). So uncomfortable.

Also, the speakers 'vibrate' the top LCD when you play games. It's rather annoying.

Having buttons that are only slightly bigger than mouse tits (the size of the current buttons) isn't such a bad idea either.

A redesign is coming. When it arrives, I'll be first in line.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I cant say the word titmouse without giggling like a schoolgirl. :D

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I loved my time with my Micro. I'll say again just so I'll sleep better tonight, I took mine back because the European version has no faceplates, and they wont be stocking them. sure there are imports but I'm not going to pay £5 for a single faceplate when all I want are the free ones you americans get.

I even bought Pokemon Emerald, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and another game I've forgotten about :D just for my Micro. Loved it. But I want a black one next, thats not out in the UK too.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/26366146/
    Pictures don't do it justice aye? ;) its probably not very good to a pro but this is the best photo of the Micro I've taken.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My only complaints about the DS are;

1) Does not emulate the X and Y for use as A and/or B in GBA Games
    2) Is too small for my hands.
    3) You have to shut it down after changing settings, then bring it back up, it should allow you to back out to the main screen and start a game.

TEG

PS: Playing GB & GBC games would be nice too. As would being able to use the touch screen for buttons when playing GBA Games.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do you have a DS? it just sounds like you don't or you're after a new one.

They do? I have both a US and UK DS in my house, I've played all the major games at full volume and I'm yet to see the screen vibrate. Could you tell me which game this happens with just to test it? heck I've been playing Tony Hawks all day on full volume (in the options menu) and that crackles the speaker! but no screen vibrate.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i really dont see anything wrong with the DS design...its fine to me and if they do redesign it i hop they dont make the controls any smaller than they are right now.

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A redesign is the only thing the DS needs (ok... 'wants', need is something drastic) right now. In the top 10 games sold in Japan last week the DS has 8 games in the list. EIGHT! to a single machine! the other 2 are PS2 games. its madness. its utter madness how successful the DS is right now!

And Nintendo would probably get my extra £80 for a new DS provided it had more than just an aesthetic upgrade - longer battery life, brighter screen, tougher touch screen, screen brightness controls, more sensitive mic, digital volume controls, change name to NintendoConsole Pro. :rolleyes:
    basically the Micro but with 2 screens, 2 more buttons and a DS game port.

14. crachoar macrumors 6502a

No, I just - you know - play my DS games using witchcraft.

Yes. They do.

What games? All of them.

The system - despite it's recent slew of good games (which has nothing to do with the quality of the hardware) - is still a piece of dump. It's very shoddy when it comes to quality of parts. A lot of the design 'choices' are rather poor (such as the rebooting after changing any system settings). The only good thing about it is that the clamshell design makes the system rather durable. It's still uncomfortable as all hell.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

My screen doesn't shake either. Use it full volume all the time. Have you dropped it crachoar? Or perhaps you've got a defective unit -have you had it too long to get it replaced? Headphones are the best anyway - do the sound much more justice.

As for it digging into your hands - no problems with me either. Regularly play for hours at a time with no pain. Perhaps you should lay off the moisturiser ;).

I agree with the redesign though. Although the DS is less hideous than I first thought it was going to be, the initial prototype design would have been much further up my alley. Reckon it would even further wipe the floor with the PSP if it upped it's aesthetics.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm still lost here and I'd greatly appreciate it if you could tell me what games causes this screen shake. my loudest game (Tony Hawk) causes no shake and thats with the ingame audio options on full. hmm. I'll try my sisters UK DS tonight but the only thing thats different between my US and her UK is that she has a different bottom screen (grainy rather than diagonal 'touch screen' lines).

Be nice when the DS does get a make over because what would the PSP have over it then? It used to be "well the PSP has multimedia functions", so they released a number of multimedia accessories that use cheaper SD cards. now its "the PSP looks better". I'd love to see what the next thing the PSP fanboys start raving about...

"The PSP is heavier!"... "it costs more!"...

17. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Wow, you are a restless one Ragged. Do you even read yourself anymore ? I can rip movies / mp3 on my 1gig memory stick. I can bring this multimedia on the road. This is great for me. Plus it can play games if I want too. What else can you micro do beside playing games that are 15 year olds ? Oh wait my PSP can do that by emulator.

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can get a 1GB CF card and rip movies/mp3s to it and play them using a GBA movie player.

So you're using your PSP to play Nintendo games...:rolleyes:

19. Symtex macrumors 6502a

You actually can which is a nice option to have. how hasn't reminisce about Super punch-out or Metroid ? You can do a whole lot more with PSP. We've only scene the beginning of the homebrew application available. PSP is very powerfull and I found it more usefull.

20. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Is that the plus side to a portable gaming device, that's nice. PSP does a good job for what it is, but it all comes down to games (which they don't really have, not good ones atleast). I got enough devices for my multi media, and a 1gig Memory stick would be about the same as a flash cart for my GBM.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, emulators are illegal but who said you can't run them on a DS?

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nitpick. Emulators are not illegal, or Virtual PC would be illegal. An emulator is no different.

There is a lot of homebrew games individuals create to run on various consoles and handhelds, which can be run legally under emulation. This is like downloading Linux and running it on Virtual PC.

Additionally, if you have the equipment, you can legally copy your own games as backups onto a cartridge, pop them in the DS and run them under emulation. The equipment can be as little as $10 for the GBA, or $70 for the SNES (or you can do it manually with an EEPROM reader).
    This is like using your Windows CD to install it on Virtual PC.

What is illegal is downloading the games. Downloading someone else's copy of Metroid (even if you own the game) is illegal. This is like downloading a cracked copy of Windows XP and putting it on Virtual PC.

I plan to eventually get a Supercard or M3, rip all my GBA games and put them on one cartridge. I'll also rip my GB and GBC games and play them under emulation so I can play them on the DS.

Supercard and M3 can do all the GBA Movie Player stuff + run applications of any size, including emulators and all.

Symtex here is talking about downloading illegal roms, so you're right that he's talking about illegal stuff, but I just wanted to point that out.

Also, Symtex, the DS will likely have far better homebrew. That's not a slight against the PSP- I'm looking at the capabilities. The DS has the potential for some amazing homebrew like PDA software and Linux- the PSP running the same software would be crippled unless you plugged in a mouse into the USB port (which would be akwards).

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... The Micro doesn't play games that are 15 years old. it plays games that are 5 years old maximum.

Your PSP can emulate a micro? well thats good, but you instantly lose everything the Micro stands for. incredibly small, ney miniscule gaming hardware with exchangeable faceplates designed to pop into your smallest pocket for portable gaming. the PSP? its a brick. the DS too.

What else can my micro do? well actually, with the Movie Adapter you can... well.. watch movies, listen to music, read txt files, look at photos etc. Incidentally the PSP can only view photos on your Memory Stick yes? What company uses Memory Sticks in cameras? Sony. Anyone else? Top of my head I can't think of any. they all use SD or CF cards. Guess what the Movie Adapter uses? ;)
    Versatility.

I know you can rip files to your Memory Stick. but the DS/GBA/Micro/SP has the upper hand in that they take incredibly more common, tougher and cheaper formats. Hell I saw a 1gb Memory Stick in costco yesterday for £60. who on earth is going to tell me that Memory Stick is better than SD or CF, especially when Memory Stick's are notoriously weak (xD being the toughest of cards, even working when being nailed to a post, they ran an experiment in Computer Active.), overpriced and used in very few peripherals.

EDIT:
    Movie Adapter- £15
    1gb SD card- £30
    Micro Total- £114
    DS Total- £125

PSP- £179 or £210 (is it? for the new giga pack)

I like maths, almost as much as games.

24. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I own:

-Animal Crossing
    -Castlevania: DoS
    -Mario Kart
    -Mario and Luigi

All of those games shake the screen at full volume.

The unit has never been dropped on anything besides a bed or couch.

The speakers also emit an obnoxious, high-pitched 'whine' sound for some reason.

Other people claim that they don't hear it. I'm a musician, and the slightest sound imperfections like that just jump out for me.

I've also had the sound engine bug out during 'Mario Kart'. Something glitched and the sound suddenly because an echoed 'Dolby Surround' style of sound. It was very odd. The game continued to sound like this until the system was rebooted.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had that echo problem once, its very fixable though. I found that muting the volume or shutting the lid fixes the problem.

I'm not really a musician but I spent a few months as a sound technician. Very particular with sound. no problems on my end. I do hear a low droning tone when the volume is at its lowest though. I get the same thing on my laptop.

Mate I really think you have a faulty DS. I've tried everything to emulate what you're getting. Ive even tried the key technique. Stick a key or another metal object into the power port and jiggle it about. you get a sudden boom of static thats louder than anything the DS normally makes. I'd demand a replacement if I were you.

The only time I've seen screen shake with loud volumes is the eMac at about 90%+ volume.