I just broke my leg!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, Oct 27, 2006.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Well not just! Last Monday (the 16th) I was walking home with my lunch when I slipped on a manhole cover. Before I hit the ground I know something in my left leg was broken, at first I thought it was my ankle but it turned out to be my tibia and fibia. Anyway after 30 minutes an ambulance turned up and took me to A & E where I had a x-ray which showed it had a double break for the left leg. The problem was I had a spiral fracture rather than a normal straight fracture so they would have to operate. Anyway after a wait of seven days on a hosptial ward they got the best surgeon in the area to insert a metal plate into my leg and use seven screws to hold it in place. Then I got let out on Wednesday and I am now at home recuperating.

The care of the hospital staff was great and the quality of surgery is amazing. I only have one small dressing on my ankle and very little pain. It will be about three months until I am fully back to normal with my leg and it has made a big set-back to my degree for which I will miss about 4 weeks at least but hopefully I will get back into it OK.

Dont know why I posted this, I suppose I am getting a bit bored by now.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Slipped in a manhole cover? DANG! I am sorry but I hope all goes well for you!

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sorry to hear it. If you slipped on a man hole cover you can look at getting compensation. I dont like this sue anyone that looks at you funny business these days, but it seems to be the norm and well... there could be a nice chunk o change in it.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I agree with not liking the idea of sueing anyone but the manhole cover was in the middle of a high friction surface on slope going down the curb (you know the sort of thing I mean!) so it wasn't in the most sensible of places.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, spiral fractures are bad news - glad to hear you're on the mend! :)

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Glad to hear you're OK, R.Youden. That would definitely be scary experience. Hope you make a full recovery. :)

7. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

It was strange really. When I was lying in the road I wasnt in a huge amount of pain and I even managed to phone my mum and grandmother to tell her what had happened, I thought that I managed to stay relatively calm thoughout. I got a bit nervous during the anaesthetic stage but that all went well. The worst thing at the moment is the swelling around the ankle as the surgeons are rather rough when they make the metal plate match the bone so I dont have too much movement down there but it is getting better by the day.

8. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about the accident, though good that you're getting better! Hope you're all mended up soon, buddy! :)

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There you go... a bit more Ammo. Get em sued. :D

Boom!

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Blimey. Set yourself set up in bed with a bottle of Lucozade and an internet-equipped laptop and those three months will fly by. ;)

Get well soon, fella.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yeoooowch. All I can say is FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ADVICE! Do EVERYTHING they say. I broke my ankle 5 years ago and I am still having problems and I will never be the same again. I say its because I didn't follow doctors advice and I walked on it during the healing and didn't do the rehab after I got the cast off and now I am paying big time.

12. imacintel macrumors 68000

You should change your name to R.Youchden

I would actually laugh if i saw this and the old apple switch music was playing.

13. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

The worst thing at the moment is I got some tickets to see Hull play Sunderland today and now I will have to put up with Burnsey and Swanney on Blunderside!

That hurts more than anything!

14. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Thanks for the advice. I play golf to a relatively high standard and in the long run I dont want that to suffer too much so I will be doing everything the physio suggests! Thankfully I dont have a cast on so I can exercise the ankle and hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You didn't miss anything. Trust me on that one. :eek:

16. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Some pictures from the accident:

Attached Files:

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Where did the accident happen? If it was in Hull you're bloody lucky you didn't get a fine for being on double yellows. :p

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, seriously bad luck. Glad you are getting better.

30 minutes for an ambulance?! That's ridiculous. At least it looks like you had some company to help pass the time.

19. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I was in Bristol where I am a student. It took 30 minutes because it was not an emergancy. The problem was it was bloody cold and wet down there!

20. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I am lucky in the fact that i have never broken a bone. That does sound pretty bad though, just walking and a double break!! Anyways, hope you get better soon and persue that degree.

21. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Thanks, hopefully I will get back on track with the degree but I will have missed about 4 weeks of a 10 week semester and the exams are in January with almost all of the work being lab based so that makes things rather though. Hopefully they will help me out.

22. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yeah they better. How is Bristol uni and what are you studying?? I am thinking about it for an engineering degree.

23. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Bristol university is great. I studied Electronic Engineering there for 4 years and then I went to work for Honda Racing F1 Team for a year and I am now doing a Masters and UWE. For any type of Engineering Bristol is now one of the best in the world and in the top 5 in the UK. It is also a great city with plenty of trip hazards. I would recomend it to anyone.

What type of engineering are you interested in?

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just a question about hospitals. If you have a laptop, do they allow you to use the internet? I doubt they allow wireless in the UK since you're not even allowed to use a mobile indoors in the hospitals I worked in (Great Ormond, Univ College Hospital of North Durham, and another one that I forget), but maybe over ethernet? :p

Well, it sounds like you don't mind this "sue anyone" culture so much. I'd chalk up this sort of accident to bad luck. Yes yes, slippery metal grate placed in a high-friction area isn't a great idea, but still....

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well a break heals better that the people that slip on the steam covers and end up with a branded ass.