I just can't seem to decide MBvsMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Locolako, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Locolako macrumors newbie

Hello I'm new to posting here but Ive been doing extensive research and I just can't seem to decide which to purchase. Ive read so many threads but everyone seems to have a different opinion.

I have never owned a apple computer before and have little experience with them. I have recently chosen to go apple when I found out about iLife, and when I saw the macbook searching for a good laptop that also looked good.

Yet I can not decide.

I will be using the machine for mostly editing.

Photoshop, and using most of iLife heavily until I can afford the pro apps.
    I will eventually be buying Final Cut studio and most likely Logic down the road, but I will be keeping the portable for around 3 years.

I won't be doing gaming except for the occasional online flash game or the gnu Go app. So 3d gaming is not a concern.

I understand that apple will be holding an event in January and maybe upgrading to Santa Rosa around June yet I would like to know if even then should I be looking at the pro or the regular version. I feel the 17 inch is too big though.

Please help me decide.

Thank you for your time.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I think you answered for yourself. Buy the MBP if you want to edit for the next 3 years.

3. mac000 macrumors 6502a

I had an intel imac and a white macbook, sold them both to buy a stock 15" macbook PRO + and 22" HD gateway lcd wireless keyboard and mouse.

Result, couldn't be happier. You will be much more pleased with the MBP, get the MBP its a better computer all around.

4. Locolako thread starter macrumors newbie

All right so then there are a couple of key differences that I see.

Is that 2.33 really that much faster than that 2.16?
    The 2gig of ram worth it?
    and I suppose the last is the 256 vs 128 on the vid card,
    and big differences on any of these?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No.
    Yes, without a doubt.
    For your use? Not particularly, but it might be good future-proofing.

For what it's worth, I've got a MBP (256MB VRAM, 2GB RAM), and a MB (1GB RAM). 95% of the time, they act the same. For me, the reason to go to the MBP would be the screen resolution and full-size DVI port... you need to decide if it's worth it to you.

Note also that if you buy a MacBook, it costs about half as much as an MBP... meaning, in a year and a half, you could buy another MB which will be faster than any MBP you can buy today, and you'd have a year and a half with a better system (assuming you keep the MPB for 3 years) at the same total price.

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

If you want to do video editing, your best bet is the MBP. The big advantage is having two firewire ports. This enables you to save your projects directly to an external hard drive. It is the one thing that I miss from my old PB.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just curious: why doesn't the MB's single FW port suffice? I connect mine to an external HD that way.

8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I just migrated from a 17 inch MBP to a BlackBook C2D for reasons of portability. All the applications you mentioned run great on my Blackbook. Overall I'm VERY happy with my new machine. Especially the keyboard.

9. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Thanks jsw, you just helped me make the choice. I was close to making the decision on getting the MB, but was still pondering the pros/cons of getting a MBP instead. I'd already made the choice to go refurb' to save money on the purchase, and now your simple explanation of some practical 'techonomics' has brought my MBP wandering thoughts back into perspective. :)

Now all I need is a refurb refresh!

10. Locolako thread starter macrumors newbie

So being impatient I decided to go down to CompUSA and try these both out side by side.

I do like the keyboard on the Macbook more and I don't need the backlit keys, but anyway with using them both side by side and also the comment

helped me out as well, so the Blackbook it is. Thank you all for your help.

11. Chanabra macrumors member

Macbook
    Great computer for the average user.
    Nice processor.
    Nice ammount of RAM.
    Great computer in general.

Macbook Pro
    Great computer for the more itensive user.
    Slightly faster processor.
    Nice ammount of RAM.
    Awesome video card.
    Bigger screen.
    Backlit keyboard.
    Macbook Pro bragging rights.

12. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I love my 15" macbook pro. The screen is the perfect medium, not to small and not too big. it will run pro apps, and its incredibly fast for everything else (however it doesnt have the latest processor, so yours will be even quicker!)

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I certainly won't count on the current MBP for anything editing related.

With universal screen-wide jpeg artifacts and colour banding from the 6 bit + ditter (!!!) LCD panels I'd get a Macbook first and then wait for Leopard + resolution independence before I'd even consider a MBP again.

Hopefully then they would have a greater range of LCD panels to choose from and can source one that is of better quality.

14. Locolako thread starter macrumors newbie

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yup... as expected, those things that rely on the video card work best on an MBP, but otherwise, the MB is as good or better.

The MBP I have is from my employer, and I do like it for professional development simply because of the larger screen. The backlit keys are nice but not essential. However, when at home, if my wife isn't hogging the MB, I tend to use it (the MB) instead. It just feels better.

I'm not complaining about the MBP - it's a great computer! - just saying that the price differential isn't worth it for many people.

16. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

more things on the macbook: better battery life and better screen, as i heard some complaints that the pro screen stinks compared to the macbook. and the compact size of the macbook is better for me, as it is more portable than the pro. the keyboard feel depends on the person. i tried the pro keyboard and it seems very easy to not know where the key is, and the bigger keys of the macbook make it easier to touch type for me personally. and the backlit keyboard for me feels very overrated.

ask yourself these questions: do you need alot of power on the road? are you going to be in alot of tight places with the computer? do you need lots of battery life? becuase some people do the imac+macbook combo and ends up costing just a bit more than the pros, but is alot better for them in portabilty and other things.

17. drb6 macrumors regular

would you guys say the same if the price difference is only a few hundred bucks as it is currently with the refurbs?

18. winchest macrumors regular

That is my conundrum actually. Do I pay 899 for the CD BlackBook or 1199 for the 2.0 old MacBookPro (512 MB /128 MB VRAM)? That is not a huge price difference considering I will be upgrading the RAM regardless of the machine. I have a few days to decide before my promotion is over on 12/31.

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I have a funny feeling that the discount will be greater after the 31st

20. winchest macrumors regular

Haha, yeah you never know, but I need to buy a computer in the next few weeks so I am not going to take the risk of waiting past 12/31. So just need to decide MB or MBP for 300 more.

21. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

A few follow-up questions

1. I know the suspected updates to MBP and maybe MB would likely be late spring/early summer, but can anyone provide me with a little more specific month? And, based upon past update cycles does this seem likely?

2. I still do not quite understand the role vram plays, although I do get that it obviously helps in some visual capacity. Also what really is the difference in 128 v. 256?

3. Am I correct in thinking the most important upgrade to get is ram if my concern is running a lot of applications at once and the desire to have them run as fast as possible? Along those lines is 3GB where we max out here and where should I go to get it instead of paying apple prices?

4. A small complaint, I actually love how the blackbook looks, but for how I type and use the mousepad, the back edge is too close (short) to the keyboard and mousepad and it kind of cuts into my wrist or palm area.
    :confused:

22. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

you should get a new one on January 8th at 10am.:D actually I doubt we will see much hardware changes for MB/MBP at MWSF

23. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

No way, editing on a macbook!? I would rethink that. A thirteen inch screen is pretty small to edit on unless you plan on doing most of your editing on an external monitor. Plus, if you plan on using FCPstudio, motion is going to run like a dog with the integrated graphics, and your are going to want to do at least some simple stuff in motion that FCP doesnt do internally very well.
    If I were you I would really reconsider going with the macbook.:)

24. Rovias macrumors member

I have the same conundrum. I have the same promotion that you do (ends on Dec. 31) and I am trying to decide between the BlackBook and the MBP. No matter how many times I read over this thread I just can't decide. I guess what I need to do is go out to an Apple Store and get some hands-on with both of them before I make a decision. I'm a very analytical person and I have to look at all possible angles before I make a purchase. Here's what I have so far:

Macbook: (Pros) Better battery life, better airport reception, better keyboard, less expensive, easier to upgrade, more portable. (Cons) Smaller screen, less durable, no dedicated graphics card, scratches and shows dirt easier.

And the pros and cons of the MBP would just be opposite those of the MB.

25. winchest macrumors regular

I agree with all that. The thing I am most worried about is the lack of screen real estate on the MB. I do have an external display for when I am at home so maybe that is not such a big deal.

I have also thought that if I buy the cheaper one, I can getter justify upgrading my computer sooner. Of course 1199 is not exactly super expensive especially for a MBP.

I use a MBP for work and like it outside the annoying buzzing sound (which could be fixed under warranty). The keyboard is also a bit flimsy...one key broke off when my cat decided to use it as a heating pad while I was in the shower.

My girlfriend has the White MacBook and loves it and I must say the battery seems to last a lot longer on her MB than my work MBP (I am leaving my company so I have to give back my computer).