I just don't get OS 10.2.8... where the heck is everything?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikepctp, Feb 11, 2004.

1. mikepctp macrumors member

Nov 17, 2003
    just north of Toronto, Canada
    I finally entered the new millenium and got OSX and ran it right up to 10.2.8.

I looks slick and has neat "special effects" but where the heck is the extensions manager?

Why doesn't my system profiler show me which slots and how much in each; my RAM sits... just as an example.

It looks and runs A LOT like XP (which I had acquired previous to 10; or I would have said the reverse) but I really like the customizable features of 9.2.2 as well.

Is there some "special hidden" folder somewhere that will answer all my passion for 9 and thus leave me to run classic ONLY when I need the older world support?

Do I really have to trust that EVERY extension loaded is REALLY needed? I don't own an iPod and probably never will but I am SURE there is crap in there to support it... can't I just turn it off?

Please point me in the direction of the true affairs of 10... or laugh at my whining. :D

Thanks in advance for the therapy... MP
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Re: I just don't get OS 10.2.8... where the heck is everything?!

I'll attempt to answer some of your questions (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Mac OS X works quite a bit differently than Mac OS 9. It can take a while to get used to this, but the changes are generally benificial.

There is no extensions manager on Mac OS X. This is partly because Mac OS X applications generally have all their resources inside them, instead of putting files all over the system as in OS 9. So when you delete the application, you will usually delete these extra files too. Don't worry about the unused Apple extensions. They won't impair system performance.

There are Library folders, which are sort of equivalent to the Mac OS 9 system folder. There is one Library folder at root level, containing files that affect every user on the computer. There is another inside the 'System' folder, which (I think) is never modified after installation. Then there is a Library folder inside every user's home, which contains user specific things.

Inside the Library are a wide variety of folders, most of which you will probably not need to know anything about. One that you should know about is the Preferences folder, which is the same as in OS 9.

I don't have Jaguar anymore so I can't look, but it does display this information in the Panther version.

I think the best advice in your situation would be to forget all your OS 9 specific knowledge when working with Mac OS X and start from scratch. As I said above, Mac OS X works quite a lot differently to OS 9, so you can't expect everything to look and act the same.

I could go on, but it would take hundreds of pages to fully explain it all. If you're really interested in how the system works, Apple has a lot of freely available pdfs available on the subject. On a simpler level, Mac Help has a section on switching from OS 9 to OS X.

Hope I've helped. :)
  3. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Relax! First of all, there is no Extension Manager. Why? Because there are no more Extensions. OS X is a 100% totally different operating system. Without getting technical, it works completely differently. So just stop worrying about extensions because they aren't there. Just enjoy enjoy the OS and everything it has that OS 9 doesn't. As a recent OS 9 convert you'll appreciate this one...Force Quit actually works!!!

You'll soon realize that all the things you had to worry about and configure in the past with OS 9 simply are not necessary, and not there. This is UNIX now. It's powerful. Enjoy running many apps at once. Enjoy no more crashing. Enjoy not having to allocate memory to specific applications. There are about a million and one others too. You'll come around, don't worry. The key to enjoying OS X is to just stop thinking about OS 9 and RELAX. Everything is working and working well on it's own, finally! :)
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    A very good explanation. OS X does run so smoothly that the only folders you need are the Applications folder, on the root level of your drive, and the Utilities folder inside of it; the Documents folder inside of your home directory, and the rest of the folders in there as needed (such as photos and sites), and the desktop and dock. Those are where you'll be moving around, you can get to know the other stuff as you become more comfortable with it.

In OS X, because security is the basis of Unix, you really can't do anything to hurt your system without granting authorization first. Don't worry about trashing system files, it won't let you. Obviously don't throw away things you own, as you have the authorization to do that.

The other piece of advice that i find invaluable-- in Disk Utility, in the aforementioned Utilities folder, click on your disk, and click the First Aid tab. Then click "repair permissions". This resets the permissions on all system files, which clears up perhaps 90% of all problems encountered in OS X. Do this whenever you have unexpected problems.

by the way, you'll probably never worry about your RAM again, once you toss a decent amount in there, i'd say 512 or better, don't think twice about it. OS X has such phoenomenal memory management that virtual memory is integrated seamlessly, apps have whatever real RAM they need, and memory is completely protected from other processes.

5. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Nov 17, 2003
    just north of Toronto, Canada
    Thank you all for your insight... I will take the OS9 pipe cleaner to my ears and try to move on... therapy may be needed down the road but I will really try.;)

I guess it's off to the RAM store... I only have 448...gotta love more RAM... :)

I will definitely check out Apple's PDF's and info sections to propogate my brain with new stuff and understanding. I have worked with UNIX in the past by way of proprietary Graphic Arts systems and software on SGI and Sun boxes. I agree, real stable and real slick.

I look forward to my new existence in this OSX world and hope to eventually acquire the knowledge of how to convince my lady I need a dual G5 and the expense it will incur... any assistance in THAT vain from proven convincing (or is it convicts) successful for any of you would REALLY speed up my mental well-being but it's all about allocation of funds... ;)

Thanks and have a great day! MP