I just found a Parrot in the street

Discussion in 'Community' started by EGT, Jul 26, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Well, actually, under my car. I ran inside and grabbed a box then ran outside again but it had hopped across to the other side and went under another car. So I'm lying on the road, stopping the traffic trying to grab a bird, then the bloody thing BIT ME! HARD! When i got it into the box, it was flapping around so i put my other hand in to try and hold it but it BIT ME AGAIN! :mad: :p OUCH!

I've rang the local radio station and gave them my mobile number, but i'm still not sure what type of bird it is. I searched google and i think its just a Green Parrot.

Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

It probably belongs to someone. Put up posters or something.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

It looks like a conure of some sort. Well, it actually looks like an amazon, but way too small. Definetly put up some posters...someone probably really misses their bird.

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Or I could be wrong and it's wild. It does look just like that green parrot.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Applespider's right Kennington Park has quite a few as has the grounds of Bethlem Hospital(don't ask about how I know Bethlem :eek: ).

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

EGT, this is a very serious suggestion, not a joke-- maybe you should also look into getting a, well, is there a human type of Rabies shot? Birds do pass a lot of diseases along so it would be worth your while to let your MD know what's going on.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's amazing! Wild parrots... :D

And the OP's picture definitively looks like the one in the article...

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'd like to echo this suggestion! i was bit by a friend's bird once, best to get antibiotics

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is a flock of 600+ wild green parrakeets in Ham, where I am. And a visiting Sacred Ibis.

11. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

That's what everyone here has been saying. It broke flesh and there was a tiny bit of blood. :confused: I didn't think it'd be so painful, but it was hilarious, me lying there on the road with a box and a parakeet clamped onto my hand, "AHHH IT BIT ME!"

I don't think its wild. It has its wings clipped and defiantly cannot fly so it must belong to someone near by.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

EWWWWW! Go quickly to a doctor!!! That is so bad. You do NOT want that wound to get infected and you definitely don't want to contract any nasty diseases. Go now! Go! Go!

13. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Birds can't transmit Rabies, but things like a Tetanus shot would be a good idea. G.P. should know anyhew :)

I've seen similar looking parrots around Maidenhead, so I'd expect they've done a good job of settling throught most of the south of England.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Here's a pretty good link on parrot species identification. http://www.fluffies.org/en/ Even though the last part of the above mandate is not unlike Hannibal's instructions to Agent Starling, you'd best go have it looked at by a doctor.
    X

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

They are a pest in some parts of brussels. Released by their former owners they now breed and make the normal (how do you say this :eek:), local birds disappear.
    I once encountered a large group of them while waiting on a bus in a part of brussels i rarely frequent. I once heard (or read), they had a nest the size of a small family car in one of our parks.
    Quite cool birds, but they shouldn't mess with our roodborstjes and pimpelmeesjes. :mad:

Come to think of it, i might be confusing parrots with parakeets... :eek:. They're green and mean to the local birds so i don't like either of them in the wild, here.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The thread title made me think of this:

"There's a dead bishop on the landing."

But seriously, if that bird even scratched your skin with those bites, get yourself checked out. No fun.

17. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Thats a nice find! :D The only things I've been able to get from the street were a TV (pretty nice, with remote and VCR), end table (not great condition, but standing), and a bookshelf. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a parrot.

18. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, go see a doctor about the bit marks on you. Believe it's a domestic bird and not wild. What are you going to do with it? Keep it as a pet?

19. slagonnee macrumors member

Indian Ringneck parakeet?

The bird resembles an Indian Ringneck...

Also a way to determine parrot or parakeet:

Look at their feet when they perch: if they have two toes/claws wrapping forward and two back - that's a parrot, if it's 3 forward and one back - a parakeet it is.

Also some more harder to determine attributes: beak articulation, roosting posture, tail feather length.

Attached Files:

20. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Avast! Hand there bird over to me! She be servin' a fine squawk for our voyage clear 'round the Cape. A whalin' captain fairs sour without a good bird.

Err... I mean, I've never found anything good in the street. Maybe some change, but certainly no wild pets. Pardon the sea captain, I'm reading Moby Dick.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would also highly recommend that you see your physician. An animal bite can be serious. Since you don't know the bird it's better to be safe than sorry. The reason for concern is that the bite broke skin and caused bleeding.

Good luck with finding the owner. That was very kind of you to try saving the bird.

22. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

No joy from the Radio. I rang a few pet shops asking what I should do to look after it, thinking i'd have to keep him for a while but someone from the pet store gave me a number to ring and he has been re-homed in a garden centre just out of town that has a bird sanctuary (quite cool actually, sort of a semi out door cage with a big shed & loads of different birds. Very clean! :eek: )

If anyone rings, they can go pick him up. I'm so glad it got sorted out! :)

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Does this one (indian ringneck) have two or three feet forward? It looks like three (parakeet). Anyway its beak seems somewhat larger than the one found. Anyone?
    [​IMG]
    X

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

25. slagonnee macrumors member

Sometimes it can be tricky to tell, but Indian Ringnecks and other Ringnecks are parakeets:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww13eiv.htm

Another way to tell (I vaguely mentioned before) is to watch how a bird chews/bites. True parrots can move both their top and bottom beaks (like a human jaw) while parakeets usually have their bottom jaw fixed and move the top beak to cut/chop food (or people).