I Just Got a Free Computer!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Capt Underpants, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My cousin got a free iMac G3 Blueberry from a friend, who gave it away, thinking that, because the monitor only showed grays, it would be expensive to fix. It is running OS9, which i am unfarmiliar with, but within a few minutes, I found the monitor settings, and changed it from gray to millions of colors. The space bar on the keyboard was stuck down, so I pried it up and cleaned it off. I had to try a couple of times to reset it, but I eventually got it working. Now, the puck mouse was missing it's ball, and ball cover thing, so I took the ball and ball cover off of my old, non-working Dell mouse. I put the ball in, glued the cover on, and now I have a working puck mouse.

It me about 30 seconds to connect to the internet (shorter than with OSX, though that is allmyfault). <--- As you can see, the space bar needs to be hit hard in order to work, but at least it works!

Anyway, I am pretty excited about my new (old) computer. I will probably end up giving it to my grandma soon. She'll love it!

edit: Apperently the last owner forgot to uninstall Photoshop and Illustrator...

2. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My spacebar is broke again. It doesn't pop up. It stays down, and still works, if tapped hard enough, but it sucks that it wont pop up...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Replacement USB keyboards and mice can be purchased at low prices..

And also.. it's a shame that you don't ask the "friend" if they want it back now that it's fixed.

4. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Of course they can be had for cheap...

And also...:rolleyes: It's not my friend.... It's my cousin's friend. I have no sympathy for her, as

(A) She's too stupid as to not look at the monitor settings
    (B) She got a new mac

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Not knowing who gave the iMac away, that was my first thought after reading the thread... [​IMG]

Of course, if she is one of those blonde mac newbs, then that would do it too. [​IMG] She might as well sell her hand on eBay because it hurts at night from cooking so much. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Apparently, she was a mac newb, even though she had owned the computer since it was new. Atleast she doesn't use windows. Being that ignorant with XP can be dangerous...

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

True, though it could be even worse: Wanting to switch to Windows ME. [​IMG]

8. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How much do you think I could get for it, if I decided to sell it?

Rev A. Bondi Blue iMac
    233 MHz Processor
    96 MB RAM
    4 GB Hd

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Don't sell it... upgrade it (or keep it as is for the honor of having a collectable). Sonnet has a processor card for that model iMac that will give you a 500MHz G3 processor, a 100MHz bus (I think), and onboard Firewire. When we got it, it was $300, but I think you can find them around for less than $200 now.

10. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Maybe she just gave it away because she'd rather give it to someone who wanted it rather than face the hassle of trying to sell it. I've given lots of good stuff away because I don't need them any more and I don't have the time and patience to sit by the phone waiting for people to call in response to an ad in the paper.

Also, in this market you wouldn't get much for a 233 Mhz iMac. I tried to unload a 600 Mhz iMac and ended up giving it away and even then I thought I have to leave it on a park bench or something, cuz nobody wanted it.

m

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wish I'd known about it. :( I'm looking for a cheap one for my folks.

12. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I would be very eager to maybe mod it, or at least upgrade the thing, were I not a broke teenage high school student. I just spent my life savings on a PB. The novelty is cool, though. It's an awesome machine for surfing, email, and word processing. I wish it could run OSX, but I'd have to buy some more RAM, and the OS. I just don't know if it's worth the money (which I really don't have in the first place).

edit: I could always turn it into a fish tank. I never have had good luck with fish, though. I bought some fish at Wal-Mart, which I was told were compatible. I leave the store with five fish. By the time I get in the car, I only have 2 and 1/2. One was halfway in the other fish's mouth, and I assume the other two were in his stomach. Needless to say, I was crying. My mom had the task of explaining we had just bought 5 fish, but there were only 2 left. I was scarred for life.

OFF TOPIC

13. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yeah, while the thought of upgrading the machine sounds cool, it might get kind of costly. After you spend $200-$300 for the processor upgrade, then you need to spend more money for more RAM and a bigger hard drive. When you are all done, you might not be that far from the cost of a education\refurb priced emac.

14. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Well...

You COULD try running Mac OS X on it... I assume it would at least be usable... If you remove the asian fonts, you can take a regular install down to about 700MB... Why not just use the 3 Mac OS X cd's that came with your PB? The ones that came with my iBook work fine on my B&W G3... Good luck! :D

15. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I wouldn't be doing it for the computing power, I'd be doing it for fun. I'd get some experience with a processor upgrade (which I haven't done before). I have done the RAM thing, and the HD thing, both of which almost anyone could do.

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

The kissing fish have struck again! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

congrats! a few years ago friends and i found an old performa by the side of the road, we turned it in to a dedicated mp3 server running OSX.

18. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Performa's can run OSX :eek: ??

edit: Think of this as a completely different post, as I didn't want to double post (again).

I have about 60 bucks. I am thinking that, with 512 MB RAM, this iMac could run OSX slowly. Apple says the max is 256. Has anyone ever tried to install 2x256 in their bondi blue iMac's?

2nd edit: I just looked up RAM prices, and I can't afford it...yet... But I would still like to know if anyone has tried it.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

XPostFacto

Rev A max RAM is 256MB acccording to mactracker. They're pretty accurate.

20. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes. Most people will tell you that 256 MB is the max, because that's what the apple spec sheet says. I want to know if anyone has had success putting 512 MB in there. There seems to be nothing hindering this.

21. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I love free things! you're lucky (if you decide to keep it) you could use it for pretty much anything. We had some 233mhz imacs running os 9 at college and they still managed to open large image files for print in photoshop. Web browsing was fine on it too.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What I'm saying that I'm pretty sure that 256MB is the max. You can try and put larger DIMMs in there, but it'll only recognize 1/2 the size of the actual DIMM, so you'll be paying extra money for the damn thing.

23. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Just buy 1 256 stick now, and use the existing 64 or 32 MB sick, and if the computer recognizes it as 320 or 288 total MB of RAM, the you know it is Ok to go ahead and purchase the second 256 stick.

I've seen a 400MHz iMac with 1024 MB of RAM.

Apple just lists the maximum amount of RAM in a G4 iMac as 1 GB because it is too expensive to buy 2 2GB sicks. But the G4 iMac can actually handle 2GB.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, the iMac DVs (and later) support 1GB of RAM.

I see no indication anywhere that modern G4 iMacs can support anything more then 1.5GB of RAM.

25. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

:eek: okay... I asked if anyone had tried 512 MB. I appreciate the fact you believe only 256 MB is the max, but I see no reason 512 MB won't be recognized. I know someone here has had to try it. As musicpyrite has said, the 400 Mhz iMac's only "support" 512 MB, but he has seen a gig in them. Why shouldn't the same be said for my imac, only on a smaller scale?