I just got a full-ride to my school of choice!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Littleodie914, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all know that I just got a call from the vice president of student somethings at Michigan Tech University in Houghton, and I won a full-ride scholarship! At first, about 350 kids applied for the scholarship, and 30 of them were selected for a half-scholarship, and we all were invited to visit the campus for about 3 days and do a few things like take an interview, write a journal, etc. Three of the 29 that showed up get the full ride, and we were going to get a call around January 1st, but he called early! His name was Les Cook, and I actually had dinner with him when I was up there.

The scholarship is worth about $66,000, which covers room & board, tuition, books, and a $600 stipend over 4 years. I'm totally stoked, and when my mom heard the news she was so excited she started sobbing! Just wanted to let you guys know... I'm too excited to keep this all to myself!! :D :D

2. Sathos macrumors regular

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

congrats....damn some people have all the luck.:p

Bless

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

wow -- that's pretty amazing ... it does make life easier on everybody when school is covered

5. CompUser Guest

That must be nice. My parents have to pay all out for my sister to go to Tufts University.

only 40,000 a year. :)

$160,000 for 4 years plus she intends on going to med school. How much does that cost.

You are very lucky.

My sister was #1 in her HS class, is a very good soccer player, and went to a math and science academy for 1/2 a school day every day and she got zip. She didn't even get a penny from any of the scholarships that the school was giving out.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Awesome news Littleodie914! :) Congrats! :)

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The best thing that I can think of for you to do in order to properly celebrate such a momentous occasion, would be to go to www.apple.com and buy something (a Power Mac G5 Quad, new iPod, an ACD, etc...)! :) :) ;)

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Good Luck on keeping up with their standards. That's a lot of weight to put on someones shoulder.... :p I'm just playin. Good job, I wish I had that, but I cna't even figure out what I want to do.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You must be some student, Littleodie914! That's quite amazing and impressive.

What do you think made you the one?

And can you now spend all the cash in your college savings account on Mac equipment? :D

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Tell her to get a job and help your folks out. Nobody should get a free ride through uni. Either you get a scholarship or you work. I did both - made lots of $$$ in my first year. But then, we don't have to pay for tuition, well, not right away.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Were the other 2 Mac users? ;) Would seem to align with the marketshare of Macs vs PCs. Congrats.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

holy smokes!

Congratulations!!!!!

not many people get the chance to do this... so don't put it to waste.

but i'm sure you won't:)

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Congrats! I remember when I got a very similar call from a different school about ten years ago...certainly a day I'll remember for the rest of my life. It's sooo nice to be able to go to college and not have to worry about funding it yourself or worry that your parents are having to struggle to put you through. Make sure to ask your parents for a few Apple products to help you take full advantage of that scholarship money!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, your sister got screwed. Honestly. She really should have gotten something from somewhere, although I could imagine someone like that getting better than the minimum scholarship.

I got a scholarship, but it's for a PhD, so it's a bit different. I'm getting AUD $25k per year for 3 years, but if you consider the fact that I have to pay around $20k per year for tuition (I'm an "international student"), it doesn't even cover my expenses.

Anyway, good luck with everything. What type of marks and extra curriculars did you do in HS?

17. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

Congrats to littleodie! College is so much sweeter when you don't gotta worry about the bills.

I can feel for the sister. I've seen so many qualified people in college that got passed over by scholarships and had mountains of loans and bills. And then there was this girl I knew that somehow managed to 'euphemise' her need and get several need based scholarships while still managing to drive a new BMW. :mad:

What can you do.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

20. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'd just like to thank you all for the warm replies and congrats. :) To answer a few questions, I'm going to study Computer Science, and I think I'm going to pursue some type of CS graduate studies. As for which program in the Computer Science thing, I'm not really sure, but I'm leaning back and forth between the hardware/engineering side and software/programming side. Either way, I know I'll love it, anything with computers keeps me interested! :D With the money, I think I'm going to wait 'til the summer when the Intel PB's are released (or maybe I'll take my iBook with me for a bit) and buy one of the 15 inchers. I'm rooming with a really good friend of mine from high school who also wants to go into computer science, but he's thinking more on the network/administrative path. He's planning on getting a powerbook over the summer sometime too, which will be his first mac! ;)

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good idea, the PowerBooks with intel processors are going to kick some serious butt (again)! They will be well worth the wait. :)

Glad to hear that your friend will be switching to Mac- congrats to him. I suppose that you will be the one to show him all of the wonderful things about Mac OS X.

Good luck to both of you in your academic adventures! :) :) :)

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Cool, someone headed to my Alma Mater. I graduated from there in 1999. I used to work in one of the only Macintosh labs on the campus, and get paid for it. PM me if you have any questions, although I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 6 years.

23. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Excellent news Craig! I'm sure your parents are very proud :)

24. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Congratulations!
    This is quite an accomplishment!

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have no idea what a full-ride is but congrats nonetheless!

I had a full ride to university today, off my dad. he was giving the girls a lift to school too.