i just got a game cube!

Discussion in 'Games' started by kingcrowing, Jul 5, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    i went to circuit city the other day and was just hanging out, i always walk through the video games, i mean i am a teenage male..., and i saw the donkey knog jungle beats game (the one with the bongos) and i was like wow, this looks stupid, i wanna try it :D i did, its the sickest game ever so i bought a gamecube and the game on ebay, (its in the mail) does anyone reccomend any other games? i was thinking zelda windwakre and Supersmash brothers meelee
  2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Super Smash Bros. Melee. Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, etc. Another of my personal favorites is Eternal Darkness. It's an amazing game that was under-promoted and therefore forgotten, but it is so good. :)
  3. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    Mario Tennis is a classic. Zelda Wind Waker if you have the time to spend on it.
  4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Zelda Wind Waker was awesome. I also really like Mario Kart: Double Dash and Viewtiful Joe is a must have for the system. Soul Caliber 2 and X-Men Legends are great games, IMO, although they are available on other systems too.

If you haven't tried the Wavebird controllers you should pick one up. They are comfortable, work well and it is very nice to be uncorded.
  5. dxm113 macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    NCAA Football
    Star Fox Adventures
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Metroid Prime (I & II)
    Splinter Cell Games
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Firstly, get a Wavebird :D

Alright, best GameCube games:

Zelda: The Wind Waker is ABSOLUTELY awesome.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is the best multiplayer fighting game there is IMHO. And it's fun in single player too.

Metroid Prime is one of the best GameCube games. You can pick it up for $10 used at Gamestop and $15 new. The graphics are incredible and the detail is just stunning. The rain drops on your visor, the X-rays and heat signature of every object in the game, the steam on your gun when it gets hot, the water running off your armor when you get wet, the steam on your face, the way bright flashes reflect your face...etc. The style of gameplay is very different than most games, give yourself a bit to get used to it before you passed judgement; when I started the game I hated it until I got two-three hours into it. By the time I got to the final boss (17 hours into the game) I was so addicted that within three days of beating the game I ran out and bought Metroid Prime 2. However it should be noted that I was never a Metroid fan before this game. Anyone who liked Super Metroid should immediately buy this game. IGN rates it 9.8 out of 10 and states that people should buy the system just for Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is also absolutely awesome. You should not play it unless you've beaten the first one or you'll be wondering about a lot of stuff (not to mention that its a brand new game and costs $50- play the first game first). I'm still on this one, I have 10 hours put into it and I'm trying to beat it. It's somewhat similar to the first game except you have to travel in between multiple dimensions of the same world to get places.

Rogue Squadron 2. Best Star Wars fighter game ever, period. No multiplayer sadly.

Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike. It gets mixed reviews. It adds on-foot levels that are a bit simple, and the fighter levels don't have the same difficulty as the first game but are still pretty hard. IMHO it's a great game. And better yet, it has the entire game of Rogue Squadron 2 available for co-op mode, and it has a versus mode.

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2: I have VJ2, haven't beaten it yet but its a pretty darn good game. The bosses are obscenely difficult, I'm stuck on one of them at the moment.

Spider-Man 2: You probably already have this for other consoles but if you don't, it's great.

Super Mario Sunshine: Ignore the people complaining about this games' theme; the game rocks when you actually play through it.
  7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2
    Super Smash Bros.
    Resident Evil 4
    Eternal Darkness
  8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I also highly recommend Zelda Wind Waker, that game was really good. Super Smash Melee was also good, as well as Mario Cart Double Dash.
  9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Really, if you like 2D Metroid games - stay the hell away from Prime.

If you enjoyed Mario 64 - stay the hell away from Sunshine. It wasn't all that great.

Same applies to Mario Kart. They really changed the game too much for my taste. I practically cried with I played 'Double Dash'. Mario Kart was one of those 'sacred' games for me (like Castlevania and Metroid).

Rogue Leader was pretty fun. I'd probably get that if you could find it for like $10 or less. But I don't think those games hold a candle to X-Wing, TIE Figher or X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter.

Splinter Cell? Great games (minus a few 'wait-a-minute-I-shot-that-guy-in-the-face-he-should-be-dead moments). However, I wouldn't suggest it for anything besides the Xbox. The controls on the Gamecube just felt too awkward for my tastes. Rent it I guess, see if you like the setup.

Viewtiful Joe - I absolutely hated in every way. It's one of those games where you just love it or hate it. The good news is - that you can get it for about $5 new. Judge for yourself I guess.

The only games I'd suggest are:

Smash Bros. (sure would enjoy a sequel before I die)

Pikmin (a unique RTS-style game)

And, Resident Evil 4 - if you can stand not being able to side-step.

Hope you enjoy the Gamecube more than I did.

Personally, I think you'd be wise to spend your money on a GBA instead - but that's me.
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU

Metroid Prime 1: Simply awesome. jaw dropping game. nothing more than stunning.

Metroid Prime 2: takes the original, adds more story, loses a bit of the original Metroid feel. but other than that a really fantastic game. very difficult too, should play the 1st game before this. no GC collection is complete without these.

Smash Bros Melee: enough said. the upmost pinnacle of multiplayer games! single player is good too. only thing it lacks is online ability :) hell i got this back in 2002 and i only just unlocked the last level about 4 months ago. still to get all trophies :eek:

F-Zero GX: i've been playing this a LOT recently. even more so now i found you can actually unlock the AX courses (an extra cup/5 more tracks) so im now trying to complete it on Master. people say this game is impossible. its hard sure, but SO addictive. probably my fave cube game.

WindWaker: again, its awesome. such a contrast to Twilight Princess, but its very fun to play.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes: possibly the only good MGS game there is. or at least that I enjoyed. very cinematic.

Mario Party 5: seriously, nothing beats a killer 4 player on this. i got it really cheap one day as an impulse buy and its just brilliant. never less than 4 players though. NEVER.

Mario Kart + Mario Sunshine: not as good as their N64 counterparts, but good if theres nothing else left. i personally loved Sunshine, especially the first level.

Rogue Leader 3: saw this mentioned above, and i absolutely love it. RL2 was my first cube game (incidentally i bought this BEFORE my cube :D) and this game is just the same but HELLOFALOT more arcade based. ive exhausted all the good works in my vocabulary so im going to Dictionary to rekindle alliances with old ones.
    RL3 is tremendous.

and they're just the ones that REALLY shine for me, the addictive ones i spent years playing in a drooling mess infront of the TV. there are good games (games i'd rate less than 8/10) like Timesplitters 2, WaveRace, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia (which i sadly haven't played but hear its on par with Final Fantasy 7) and Baten Kaitos.

there are a lot of good games out there. enjoy.
  11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Ok, just to clear things up on the RPG front:

Tales of Symphonia is nowhere near FF7. Sorry, that game wasn't very good and does not deserve to be placed up upon the mantle with some of the FF games, as well as Chrono Trigger.

Not much different from the Dreamcast version either.

And Baiten Kaitos?

Hope you like mediocre card-battle games.

In sum, if you want an RPG - the Gamecube is the last place you want to look.

And while we're at it - FF:Crystal Chronicles wasn't very good either. It was a way to sell Gameboys basically. Cool concept - but carrying around a bucket for hours on end = not fun.

Plus, it's not really an RPG as much as it is a 'hack and slash + bucket-carrying sim + spend money on a gameboy + cable to play multiplayer'' game.

As for Metal Gear Solid? It was good - aside from the crappy controls. Personally, I still prefer the original Playstation / Windows version - where first-person aiming isn't an issue - since it doesn't exist. I found the third-person system from the older games to be less cumbersome. The update for the GameCube had too many 'Jet Li' stunts in the cinematics - I didn't dig that at all. But if you can't play the original version - I'd suggest picking this up.

Well, if anything, at least you know that Smash Bros. is a sure fit.
  12. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    One of my favorite games ever. Pikmin 2 was awesome too. :D :D :D
  13. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Pikmin, and Pikmin 2 are must haves, their a couple of the few games that keep me using the consoles :D

I would love a mac or PC port, imagine playing it at a nice crisp 1280x1024 with all the extra effects real computers can manage :rolleyes:

I quite enjoyed mario sunshine, not as fun to play as mario 64, but a good game none the less

Got bored of metroid prime before the first level finished (can't stand gamepads for that kind of game) my dad enjoyed it though, same with most of the games i've tried on any of the consoles,

Personally, i think the cube is best when playing more than slightly childish games with a few mates :)
  14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I have to say the best game I've played on Gamecube is probably Beyond Good and Evil.

Zelda: WW and Tales of Symphonia come in second.

Viewtiful Joe is good, but some stages simply annoyed the crap out of me.

Resident Evil 4 is OK.

Metroid Prime was awesome, but after you put it down and play another game it was hard to go back to.

Can't WAIT for the next Zelda game. Have my eyes on Sims 2 as well. (I don't have a beefy enough Mac or PC to play it)
  15. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    On of the best aspects of the Gamecube it that it has great games that are fun to play with your friends. (Well, I guess that depends on how many/how geeky are your friends). My favorite games of this kind are:

• Super Smash Bros.
    • Mario Kart
    • Soul Calibur II (my fav)
    • Mario Party games

As for single player games, I would really suggest you get:

• Zelda (there's a new one coming out as well)
    • Beyond Good and Evil
    • Viewtiful Joe
    • Metroid Prime (haven't played MP 2 yet)
    • Eternal Darkness
    • Tales of Symphonia
    • Resident Evil 4 (I've heard it's amazing)
    • Paper Mario
  16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Nitpick; I think you mean RS2, not RL2.

The GameCube launch title was Rogue Squadron 2, the sequel was Rogue Squadron 3: Rogue Leader.

I agree though, absolutely great games.
  17. michaelltd macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    My top favorites and my recommendations:

• Resident Evil 4
    • Tales of Symphonia
    • Metroid Prime
    • Super Smash Bros. Melee
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    • Metroid Prime 2
    • Eternal Darkness
    • Resident Evil (Remake)
    • Super Mario Sunshine

My top 5 up above are games on the Cube that definitely made me go "wow" or "woah" :)
  18. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    metroid series
    super smash bro's melee
    ANIMAL CROSSING!!! i love this game its just sooooooo cool. i think it somewhat resembles the sims....but i've never played sims so i wouldn't know lol

timespliters 2
    mario kart double dash
    tony hawk underground (THUG 2 sucks ass only get the first one) these games are better on gamecube than anything else, the controls are just a lot easier
  19. ccool2ax macrumors member

Apr 8, 2005
    First, Xbox isnt much better.
    Second, a better card game than Baten Kaitos was PSO 3. Really underrated, and great off line multiplayer. Especially if you like other CCGs. Personaly, 1000+ cards for 50 bucks is cheaper than MTG.
  20. sek1186 macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2005
    I definitely recommend Super Smash Bros. Melee and Viewtiful Joe. Both of those games are a lot of fun, especially Super Smash Bros. I haven't played too many other games since I got my gamecube, but those are still my favorites so far.
  21. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    Not that I am surprised that this game has not been mentioned yet but it is still great fun is Alien Hominid. It is a side-scrolling game that is just plain fun. Metroid Prime (as mentioned above) is another great game. Resident Evil 4 is another must have.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    You apparently didn't try many of the good GameCube games. And your statement about Metroid Prime is the ONLY time I've ever seen anyone say that. EVERY reviewer said they were shocked that Nintendo preserved the gameplay from 2D to 3D so well. IGN gave it a 9.8 out of 10.

Better than the XBox, which has almost no Japanese support.

PS2 is the best place for RPG's. GameCube has a few though, and the upcoming Fire Emblem is a biggie.
  23. michaelltd macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    I was very pleasantly surprised myself. Not only was it a transition from 2D to 3D, but also a transition from sidescrolling to First-Person Adventure which caused many (including me) to be a little skeptical...

...but then it came out and so many of us were blown away. It still felt like a Metroid game, but from a whole new perspective, literally. :)
  24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I like how GameSpot puts it.

9.7 out of 10, editors choice.
  25. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Pikmin 2
    Super smash Bros. Melee
    Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing

To tell the truth though, I don't really like the gamecube. I hardly ever play it. I stick with my Xbox and computer games. But Animal Crossing is a MUST. It's the only game I play on the gamecube.