I just got a Macintosh SE/30, what now?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by vollspacken, Oct 20, 2002.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Hi,

I got a Mac SE/30 for free today and it still works!!!

My first impression, I LOVE IT!!!:)

Here are the specs:
    8 MB ram
    20 MB hd
    System 7.01
    Word 5.0
    After Dark

Back in the days I started with my dad's IIci, but this one is way cooler (it's soooo cute...;) )

Ok, it starts up after six seconds and word works great, but what else can I do with it? It has a built in modem, can I integrate it into a network (I still have an beige G3 266, but sold my iMac, will buy the new PB...), does it run system 8?

...hey, I just noticed it has SCSI! Cool, I can use my old external HD and CD-rom again. Can I x-change the built-in HD for a bigger one? What browser can I use on it? What about modifications?

It feels like christmas with all the Lego stuff... HAHA...

I LOVE IT, with this cute little buddy, it's less hard to wait for the PB update...:)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't think it will run 8, i'm pretty sure that was 040 only, but it should run at least 7.1 quite nicely, and hopefully 7.5(.3 or .5) which is much nicer than 7.1. Unfortunately 7.5.5 will eat up, at bare minimum if you're an expert, 11 megs of space with minimum functionality...

:)
    pnw

3. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

thanks,

damned:eek:
    ...I just crashed the hard drive:(
    according to various sources on the net, this is quite common with the old stock drives. So I have to get a cheap 100mb drive tommorow... maybe a network cardb too

4. cubist macrumors 68020

The hard drive really failed?

You can run 7.6, but I think 7.1 should be a better OS to run on it. Do you have the Ethernet card? The SE/30 is a pretty nice computer, it's pretty portable, just find an outlet and you can word-process or spreadsheet anywhere. It's probably the fastest of the compact macs. I have a classic II, but drat! It has no ethernet.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: The hard drive really failed?

7.5.5 is the last supported version for the SE/30. I wouldn't try 7.6 or later. You'll probably just get a Sad Mac anyway...

6. jvaska macrumors 6502

i think you have to have at least 7.5.5 if you want to get it on the internet properly...i remember this from two instances of trying to fix old apples...

i've got photoshop 1.0 if you want it...hehehe...seriously...i think it's less than 1.5 megs...i could email it to you...i don't think adobe would be too upset if you had a bootlegged copy of this...

i think i have aldus pagemaker 3 around here too...

jv

7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

This story reminds me of the days I did professional graphic design job on Mac Classic. No, I didn't have enough money to buy color machines. Official purchases from Apple in Japan was much more expensive than in the US, I guess it was due to the cost of developping Japanese OS called KanjiTalk and the exchange rate. I was on Aldus PageMaker, as I recall. I've upgraded it with 040 processor card and more memory back then.

It's amazing to think of how the hell I could work on that tiny B&W display and actually get together usable graphics out of it.

Now, I'm a spoiled bad boy with 22" Cinema display and DP 1G PowerMac! We've come a long way.

I still keep the Classic as an interior decoration for my office though. I can never throw it away. It's real cute when I type something and, with a primitive extention, it makes typewriter sounds!

I guess SE30 has better expansion capability than Classic.

8. neilt macrumors regular

i have 2 of them in my attic

you can play the old shareware Risk game
    a wonderful way to waste hours of time

go old school and get a copy of mosaic or macweb as your browser

:D

neilt

9. DavidFDM macrumors regular

The SE/30 was one of Apple's best computers ever. Very fast. Perfect server.