I just got a ticket

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacFan782040, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

...for an expired registration. I could have sworn I renued it!!!! The ticket is $175 and then to renew it it's another $36. I'm here at college, and I don't get my mail here. It slipped my mind. The worst part is, the cop who pulled me over was at the Dunkin Donuts where I was at. The ****** must have looked at my plate in the parking lot and then waited around for me to leave, cause he pulled me over not even a mile down the road after I left. Dissapointing cause I do a LOTTTT of community service for the community. I'm part of a fraternity that has more comm. service hours than any other organization on campus...and this stuff still happens. Ugg...just thought i'd vent. :(

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Apparently it was in September 06. So yeaa it was kinda long, but I thought everything was up to date..my insurance, inspection, ect.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: I just got a F---ing ticket

Darn, this isn't a sex in public thread. :(

But getting nailed by the cops coming out of a donut shop is ... :p

5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Well, you would have gotten a ticket in the future anyway.. if not now. Was a good thing you got it without any incident i.e. you were not in an accident, etc.. you would have been more screwed.

Next time, just do your registration online, that's what I do. I can't be bothered with saving mail and mailing in checks.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. iGav macrumors G3

Hardly. :rolleyes:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^I expected hidden text from FJ's post to denote sarcasm, but I didn't find any.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Doing community service is highly commendable. Thinking that it should give you a free pass for things is not.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Get proof of renewal and bring it to court to challenge the ticket. An "I thought I did" isn't good enough. An "I forgot my sticker" might sway the judge.

Edit: not suggesting you lie or do anything illegal

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I was thinking the same thing. It's amazing how people like to justify breaking the law. I break the law from time-to-time (mostly speeding), but if you get caught then you get caught. Deal with it. Don't make excuses because you screwed up.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Around here you have like 11 days to register and the ticket dissovles itself or something similar to that.

13. shecky Guest

shecky

how is that remotely relevant to not renewing your registration?

time to grow up and learn how to read a calendar.

14. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha I actually did too... :rolleyes:

15. calculus Guest

calculus

'Community service' obviously has a different meaning here in the UK!

16. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Because I do way more than the average college student, or even they typical person. Volunterring MY time/money to try and make this community better, and then I get slammed for not having a 1inch sticket on the back of my plate simply cause I forgot. I've never even been pulled over before.

I'm not saying I don't want to take responsibility for my fault, but there should be other ways in "paying" a ticket than money that I don't have.

17. shecky Guest

shecky

well, i helped an old lady across the street, so i do not see why i should have to pay my taxes this year. and i also was an assistant little league coach so i should not have to pay for any of my parking tickets either.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Without trying so sound harsh... So?

I don't know what you haven't paid for (Anyone explain it to me in England terms? Car tax?) it seems as if you aint paid for something you should have.

If you want to run a car, these are the costs you have to encounter. Being a 'poor' college student doesn't cut it in the real world. Yes these things slip our minds, but you just have to pay and get on with it, it doesn't matter how much community work you do. What your saying is, your Volunteering and you expect something back for doing it. Doesn't that totally defeat the object?

19. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Go to court and tell the judge.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can always opt to appear before a judge and plead "guilty with an explanation." He or she might be sympathetic to your "poor college student" situation.

21. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Why? Why should he/she not pay it because he/she is a 'poor college student'. I don't see how this can be used as a real world excuse. It can be used as an excuse not to buy the latest MacBook, but not for something to do with your car. Can't afford to run a car? Don't!

P.S. Not getting at your personally there IJ. :)

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You pretty much screwed up. it would be one thing if it was a month late but due you are over 4 months over due. Yeah it sucks in the end it is your fault and you have to pay the price. Be glade you not in Texas. Because not only would you get the ticket you have t pay you would also get a another 50-100 dollar plenty for renewing late.

Yeah will not work and you will just get in trouble for lying in court and everything else you say is now thrown out as well so you lose any hope of getting it reduced instead you get you rear thrown in jail for lying in court. Reason being is it is REALLY easy for them to check when it was renewed or if your car is out of date. It all in one data bases and it not just because of the sticker.
    One things cops do when they see your sticker is out of date is they call it in and check just in case you might of forgotten to change them. They will still pull you over to tell you that you stickers are wrong and you need to change them but not right you a ticket.

Reason I know that is 8 years ago in Texas I was pulled over for running a red light and the sticker was 4 months out dated. I told the cop that it was my parents car and not something I payed any attetion to because it was not my car. Cop called it in to check and everything was upto date on that part. Turn out my dad put the sticker on the other car.

Heck I am also surpised that some state still use the stickers that go on your plates. I though most of them where moving over to the window stickers, harder to steal and easier to update. Heck here in Texas you plates are printed on to the sticker as well so it REAL easy to tell if it is on the wrong car.

23. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I knew this would turn into a flaming war... :rolleyes:

I guess it all comes down to money. A person richer than me wouldn't even think twice about this ticket, because it accumulated no points. And if community service is so "expected" (which I agree anyway) then why do some criminals get off with doing it instead of jail time? :confused:

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well thats an easy one... Renew whatever it is you need to renew on time. Print It Out.

Who said community service was expected? I don't do it... Thats because I work... So I can afford to run my car. Good on you for doing it, but maybe you need to re-evaluate.

Criminals hardly 'Get off' with doing it, but I'm not going into that.

Which I agree anyway? You think people should be expected to do community service? Lets bring back public stoning and mandatory military service as well while were at it.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I usually take the "pay the man" side of the argument when it comes to traffic tickets, when it's clear that the person violated the law assuming that they're somehow entitled to get away with it. Unintentional mistakes are somewhat different, IMO, especially when nobody else's life or property was endangered by the act. I'm not arguing that he should not pay, only that a judge might take other factors into consideration. It's what a judge is supposed to do.