Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Why? Why should he/she not pay it because he/she is a 'poor college student'. I don't see how this can be used as a real world excuse. It can be used as an excuse not to buy the latest MacBook, but not for something to do with your car. Can't afford to run a car? Don't!

he's not saying he wants to get out paying vehicle registration, just not the ticket, which in itself is about 3 times of the registration.

Well thats an easy one... Renew whatever it is you need to renew on time. Print It Out.

Who said community service was expected? I don't do it... Thats because I work... So I can afford to run my car. Good on you for doing it, but maybe you need to re-evaluate.

Criminals hardly 'Get off' with doing it, but I'm not going into that.

Which I agree anyway? You think people should be expected to do community service? Lets bring back public stoning and mandatory military service as well while were at it.

from reading your post, i'm assuming you are from england, which i'm not very familiar at all. but here in US, community service of some form is generally seen as duty of good citizens. a certain hour is required in High School, it is greatly encouraged in college, and in the real world you often cross chances where you can perform community services in your community, your kids school, etc. this has nothing to do with public stoning and mandatory military service. just because you don't do it doesn't mean that's the most honorable way of life.

to OP.. if you can find your proof of renewal, that's great, if not, you can still plead to the judge that you don't have money, and you would do lots of hour of community services to waive or reduce the ticket, but you'll pay the vehicle registration, that might work.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
from reading your post, i'm assuming you are from england, which i'm not very familiar at all. but here in US, community service of some form is generally seen as duty of good citizens. a certain hour is required in High School, it is greatly encouraged in college, and in the real world you often cross chances where you can perform community services in your community, your kids school, etc. this has nothing to do with public stoning and mandatory military service. just because you don't do it doesn't mean that's the most honorable way of life.

Yes, I think Markleshark is from "England". The Carlisle being the "Real North" for their location gives that away. Being from the "Real North" of "England" too, let me just say that community service here is time you spend working in the community (usually cleaning streets, car parks, etc.) having committed a less serious crime, and instead of going to prison... sorry, "jail".

I am a poor student too, and find this whole thread (no offence) a little petty. Sorry to the OP, but if you have a car, you have to also be ready for the responsibility of maintaining it on the road; which includes registration!

Here in the UK, we tax our vehicles - sounds very similar to your system in the US. If we don't, a computer automatically knows about it, and within a day you face a minimum £1 000 bill. If I was to do this, then go to Court to plead my case as a "poor student" (bearing in mind I also do my bit for the community), I would be laughed back out of the door, considerably more than £1 000 worse off!!

I know our legal / registration systems are very different, UK vs. US, but one thing is common... before you own a car, make sure you can afford to run it. And if you really can't read a calendar (or set an alarm on iCal or something), you really shouldn't be allowed a car at all! Sorry.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
community service here is time you spend working in the community (usually cleaning streets, car parks, etc.) having committed a less serious crime, and instead of going to prison... sorry, "jail".

I am a poor student too, and find this whole thread (no offence) a little petty. Sorry to the OP, but if you have a car, you have to also be ready for the responsibility of maintaining it on the road; which includes registration!

Here in the UK, we tax our vehicles - sounds very similar to your system in the US. If we don't, a computer automatically knows about it, and within a day you face a minimum £1 000 bill. If I was to do this, then go to Court to plead my case as a "poor student" (bearing in mind I also do my bit for the community), I would be laughed back out of the door, considerably more than £1 000 worse off!!

I know our legal / registration systems are very different, UK vs. US, but one thing is common... before you own a car, make sure you can afford to run it. And if you really can't read a calendar (or set an alarm on iCal or something), you really shouldn't be allowed a car at all! Sorry.

that's exactly what he's asking for. do comm service to be excused for a less serious violation.

he never tried to evade the responsibility of paying the registration. he forgot, he admit fault, he wants to not pay the penalty, by doing comm service.

being a poor student doesn't get your out of penalty, but being a poor student, and willing to do service to "pay" for your mistake is not unreasonable. he's not even say he's gonna use his previous comm service "credit" to pay for this mistake, he says he will continuously do comm service.

it is needless for you to point out (knowing it's rude and mean, and it's not true) that " And if you really can't read a calendar". can you honestly say you have never forgotten ANY deadline?

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
it is needless for you to point out (knowing it's rude and mean, and it's not true) that " And if you really can't read a calendar". can you honestly say you have never forgotten ANY deadline?

I was not trying to be "rude and mean", and for that I apologise to the OP.

Of course I have missed deadlines, but I can honestly say that I have never missed paying my car tax or insurance. I know that owning a car brings with it responsibilities like this; I know that if I miss a payment, I will be fined.

If the OP had missed the deadline by a few days (particularly given the circumstances in which he / she was caught) I would have sympathy, really. But FOUR MONTHS :confused: For that alone, I'm sorry, they deserve the fine.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
always fight them, even if you know you were wrong. there is always the chance of you proving a case or the officer/trooper not showing up and then your case should be dismissed

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
always fight them, even if you know you were wrong. there is always the chance of you proving a case or the officer/trooper not showing up and then your case should be dismissed

Just own up to your mistake....grow up, join the real world

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
At least some people understand what I'm saying. By no means am I saying I wasn't wrong by the situation. However, I wasn't endangering anyone either. The way I see it, the cop who basically waited for me to leave Dunkin Donuts so he could nab me was a jerk. Now I'm no cop, but it was me, my friend, and the 2 cops in the donut shop at 1:30am, and I was only a few miles from campus. (I think my giant "KU Golden Bears" plate frame gives it away I'm a college student) I would have came back into the shop, and been like, "Listen buddy, your vehicle registration is expired. This is a verbal warning. Go do it tonight". And I would have paid the $36 last night and that was that.

However, I KNOW that he waited for me to leave, because I even asked him if he was just up at DD when he stopped me, to try to lighten the conversation.

All I'm trying to say is there are many ways other than money to "pay" a fine. If money is a punishment, then what do the rich care? For me, scrambeling to get this money in 10 days will be hard for me. I just paid $500 sec. deposit for next year's apartment and I literately have nothing.

I hate it when people KNOW they are speeding, get a ticket, and try to fight it because they don't wanna pay it. HOWEVER, I believe this is completely different-- I didn't fill out some silly paperwork. My insurance was up to date. My inspection was up to date. I just renewed my license card a few days ago for $26! The community service point was brought up because I believe my time I spend doing that is worth this $175. Hell, the MAYOR of our town at the borough council meeting brought up this that they want us to get involved with: There's a building on main st. that is owned by the borough and not ever used. They are asking a bunch of us guys to sit in there Friday and Saturday nights for kids who are drunk and need a place to stop in for some water, a place to sit, a bathroom, ect. I personally don't like the idea, but isn't that kind of playing the whole "policing job"???? My point is, sometimes I feel like I'm giving WAY more to the community than I get back...whether this was bad luck or not. But I guess that's just life.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
My point is, sometimes I feel like I'm giving WAY more to the community than I get back...whether this was bad luck or not. But I guess that's just life.

I used to feel like this ... but at one point I got a very good job offer simply because of a relationship I built through volunteering. I didn't take that job because I wanted to re-locate.

I feel like at the end of it if you give some of your time .... eventually when you truly need it you will get help from those around you.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I'm gonna have to side with MacFan here. I think community service would be completely reasonable to pay off the fine in your case..you definately don't seem like the typical obnoxious college student. BTW, That cop sounds like a real a**hole for waiting for you to leave and then pull you over.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That cop sounds like a real a**hole for waiting for you to leave and then pull you over.

This is pretty typical procedure for the police. If they see a violation, they watch for a while to see if you commit another violation -- and if you do, they cite you for that too.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This is pretty typical procedure for the police. If they see a violation, they watch for a while to see if you commit another violation -- and if you do, they cite you for that too.

Plus, the parking lot is private property and not a road. The law doesn't say you must register you car. It says you can't use the car on roadways without registering it. My guess is that there was nothing illegal about having the car parked.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Just own up to your mistake....grow up, join the real world

haha ok then. i am in the real world and i think anyone would agree that saving money for paying bogus tickets or getting points on your license is something we would all like to avoid. thus, fighting them can usually solve this problem.

case in point: say you were speeding, but the cop cites you for much faster than you were going (more $$$) so its probably better to at least fight for a lower speeding ticket, or no ticket at all due to officer inaccuracies.

your tellin me you've never fought a ticket and you just accept everything whether you were in violation or not? you must either be a really really cautious driver or out of a lot of $$$ due to hiked insurance rates

not tryin to start anything here, just showing both sides of the argument. i know numerous people who have had tickets dismissed or reduced for simply showing up to court with a logical defense (diagrams, notes, officer quotations, etc).

personally i think its stupid not to fight them (especially if you were not in the wrong, or the officer exaggerated things)

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
haha ok then. i am in the real world and i think anyone would agree that saving money for paying bogus tickets or getting points on your license is something we would all like to avoid. thus, fighting them can usually solve this problem.

case in point: say you were speeding, but the cop cites you for much faster than you were going (more $$$) so its probably better to at least fight for a lower speeding ticket, or no ticket at all due to officer inaccuracies.

your tellin me you've never fought a ticket and you just accept everything whether you were in violation or not? you must either be a really really cautious driver or out of a lot of $$$ due to hiked insurance rates

not tryin to start anything here, just showing both sides of the argument. i know numerous people who have had tickets dismissed or reduced for simply showing up to court with a logical defense (diagrams, notes, officer quotations, etc).

personally i think its stupid not to fight them (especially if you were not in the wrong, or the officer exaggerated things)

My comment is on THIS situation, not others...

He did not keep up with his records and CLEARLY broke the law. Not one week, not two weeks, not 1 month, 2 months, but 4 months, there was plenty of time to rectify the situation.

We have laws for reasons and they need to be enforced. There is no gray area or "officer mistakes" in THIS case.

In the future the OP will now keep his records up to date.

Would I have given this kid a ticket for an out of date regisration? Depends, he may of been a jerk to the cop, that the OP is "forgetting" to tell us.

In most cases I would issue a warning basically saying you have 10 business days to get your papers in order. If he is pulled over after those 10 days for another offense or the same offesne, then I would ticket him.

What would be the point of registering cars if it was not enforced?

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI

True, but I think it would have been sufficient to give a warning and tell him to fix the registration in x amount of days or a ticket will be sent.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I think its a bit harsh myself
A fine for not following the law? Not harsh.

If he had been fined, cited for other infractions, and had his car towed and impounded at his expense? That would be harsh.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In California if your registration was expired in 9-06 your car would be impounded. Pay it and shush up. Who cares what you do for your community you broke a rule and that's just how it is. Think of everything a cop does for your community and the fact that they risk their lives to protect people like you and all you have to say is you don't want to pay with cash because you don't have it? The poor college student BS is tired. I hope you pay on time otherwise the outcome will be worse and you may be forced to pay a lot more.

True, but I think it would have been sufficient to give a warning and tell him to fix the registration in x amount of days or a ticket will be sent.
the time for a warning passed I think. 4 months is a bit long.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Actually if you have enough and large enough fines/ tickets accrue, you can be issued a warrant for your arrest. That's slightly more problematic than paying a ticket. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Actually if you have enough and large enough fines/ tickets accrue, you can be issued a warrant for your arrest. That's slightly more problematic than paying a ticket. :)

Arizona just revokes your right to drive in the state for non-moving violations that aren't taken care of -- even something as simple as a $20 parking ticket.

Quite a few people don't realize it until they drop the hammer and make a simple traffic ticket a major body slam -- aka, adding driving on a revoked/suspended license.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
yea yea ok i see where you guys are coming from.. i should have applied it to his specific situation haha my bad.

i guess all i'm trying to say is try to fight it to at least get it reduced. sure, in his situation he will have/and does have consequences, but if they can be reduced it will be worth his time to at least try.

the whole ethical dilemma on whether or not he should be punished and how severely is a whole non-issue. yea, he broke the law, so there should be consequences. however, there is an underlying issue in that its situational based on scenario/personality of officer/OP's personality, etc. one officer can hand out x punishment, while another officer in the exact same scenario could hand out x warning or nothing whatsoever. that is a whole nother issue, but i'm just saying, since every single traffic related offense is situational and highly depends on the officer involved (since their personalities and mood on any given day range all across the spectrum) that its worth your time to at least try to fight it and get it reduced/removed and try to save yourself money in the end.

i'm not tryin to get in a debate on whether or not what he did was wrong or if he should be punished, i jumped in this convo in the wrong way hah. i guess i'm just ranting on the flaws of the legal system haha my bad carry on..

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
At least some people understand what I'm saying. By no means am I saying I wasn't wrong by the situation. However, I wasn't endangering anyone either. The way I see it, the cop who basically waited for me to leave Dunkin Donuts so he could nab me was a jerk. Now I'm no cop, but it was me, my friend, and the 2 cops in the donut shop at 1:30am, and I was only a few miles from campus. (I think my giant "KU Golden Bears" plate frame gives it away I'm a college student) I would have came back into the shop, and been like, "Listen buddy, your vehicle registration is expired. This is a verbal warning. Go do it tonight". And I would have paid the $36 last night and that was that.

However, I KNOW that he waited for me to leave, because I even asked him if he was just up at DD when he stopped me, to try to lighten the conversation.

All I'm trying to say is there are many ways other than money to "pay" a fine. If money is a punishment, then what do the rich care? For me, scrambeling to get this money in 10 days will be hard for me. I just paid $500 sec. deposit for next year's apartment and I literately have nothing.

I hate it when people KNOW they are speeding, get a ticket, and try to fight it because they don't wanna pay it. HOWEVER, I believe this is completely different-- I didn't fill out some silly paperwork. My insurance was up to date. My inspection was up to date. I just renewed my license card a few days ago for $26! The community service point was brought up because I believe my time I spend doing that is worth this $175. Hell, the MAYOR of our town at the borough council meeting brought up this that they want us to get involved with: There's a building on main st. that is owned by the borough and not ever used. They are asking a bunch of us guys to sit in there Friday and Saturday nights for kids who are drunk and need a place to stop in for some water, a place to sit, a bathroom, ect. I personally don't like the idea, but isn't that kind of playing the whole "policing job"???? My point is, sometimes I feel like I'm giving WAY more to the community than I get back...whether this was bad luck or not. But I guess that's just life.

to tell you the turth in some way you are doing harm to other people and indanger them. That money you did not pay for you regestration is not there to help maintain the roads YOU drive one. That money is put in to the transportation bugdet which normally goes to road maintains and building more roads. Both of which are not cheap.

Basicly you are getting fined for not paying to use the roads you drive on. It is part of the tax for driving on public roads is you have to help maintain them.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
The community service point was brought up because I believe my time I spend doing that is worth this $175.

I put myself in a similar position to you, which is why I this thread seems crazy to me... I am a student (my current bank balance is not good); I pay rent of £500 per month; I am putting myself through university... I currently own a car and I pay my tax and insurance because I know, if I don't, I get a fine or lose my car!

If (and this is a real possibility for me) I can't afford to pay to maintain my car anymore, I will have to sell it... simple as that.

If you had come on this thread saying you had missed your deadline by a few days, maybe even a week - as you are a obviously a busy student, community worker and a decent person - I would have sympathy, as I said before, but to not pay $36 within four months is unacceptable, and a fine in your situation (given, like you say, that you do community service anyway) is a more appropriate punishment, and will teach you not to miss a deadline in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.